Brrrrr - First real wintery blast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Douglas Channel
STORM WARNING IN EFFECT
FREEZING SPRAY WARNING IN EFFECT

Issued 09:30 PM PST 07 December 2016
Tonight and Thursday
Storm warning in effect.
Wind northeasterly outflow 35 to 40 knots increasing to northeasterly outflow 40 to 50 after midnight.
Currently -12C (10F) and the wind is probably 25 knots at the moment.

Went down to the marina tonight and the first two rows of slips are frozen in because of a small creek at the back of the marina. Our slip is on the outside of the second to last row so we don't get frozen in, even at -20C.

*Note to self - this will be the summer for weather stripping and insulating doors and other solutions to keep a boat made in Taiwan for a Californian/Washington State market warm during north coast BC winter cold snaps.

Just reading that has me shivering. Brr!!

Just a blip in the big picture......ya right! It was 69 degrees here in Vegas today, might drop to 40 tonight....Fahrenheit I tell ya, not that Canuck measurement.
Good day Murray!
Cheers

Sun ,BBQ, swimming, beers , boobs 100.4 F here today cant wait for mid summer :D

Last edited:
Sea trialed new Furuno AP install between cold gales yesterday in BC. The new Furuno seems to like snow and ice.

-14C (7F) right now with 40 knot gusts, so about -30C (-22F) with the wind chill effect.

Hey, I love this stuff, but I'm going to have to chuck on another layer or two for my letter carrier route today :thumb: Must be boring to live without wild swings in the seasons :D

On a boating note...heard this blast was coming so went to the boat a couple days ago to double check things. Turns out someone had accidentally unplugged our shore power cord at the panel. Think I'll go today as well just in case it happend again!

Just a blip in the big picture......ya right! It was 69 degrees here in Vegas today, might drop to 40 tonight....Fahrenheit I tell ya, not that Canuck measurement.
Good day Murray!
Cheers

Hi John,

The breakwater at MK Bay hasn't broken yet!

Greetings,
Mr. MM. "Must be boring to live without wild swings in the seasons" I agree but you can leave out the "wild" part. I enjoy the changes, just not all at once.

Re: Post #3. Mr. CC. "...not that Canuck measurement." The US is one of only 3 counties in the WORLD to still use the outmoded "Imperial" system. The other 2 being Burma (Myanmar) and Liberia. So get with the program.

I was raised in the Imperial system and exposed to the metric system (SI- Systeme international d'unites) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units through work. As a result, I use metric up to about 6" (~150mm), up to about 1 lb. (~454gm) and up to about 1/4 gallon (US) (~1 l). Above those limits I revert back to Imperial. Temperature, on the other hand, is ALL metric. Just seems to make to most sense to me (and most of the rest of the world).

I was in a NAPA store a while back looking for some? boat part and the women beside me was asking a NAPA associate for an alternator for her Chevy...
NAPA: "Does it have SAE or metric fasteners?"
Woman: "I don't know. That metric business is stupid"
NAPA: "What size engine?"
Woman: 4.3 liter....Go figure.

Water freezing at 0 and boiling at 100 seems logical to me...

Stop being so sensible.

It really is annoying that we pussied out on switching back in the 70's along with everyone else. It was the f-ing car companies that insisted the change would kill them. We now know they possess that skill all by themselves. And here we are now with everything on every car having converted to metric.

Even though I grew up most of my life with metric, certain measurements have stuck. I order pints of beer, buy acres of land and have to convert litres/100km to mpg to see how fuel efficient my car is.

Greetings,
Mr. tt. I can readily see why the US is loathe to convert to metric. It would potentially cost billions if not trillions to convert manufacturers facilities to metric and most probably put some of the smaller companies out of business. Eventually, though, it's going to come about.

You think temperature measurement is confusing? HAH! Try pressure...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_measurement

Mr. ale. Yup, I convert back to mpg as well but don't forget, there are TWO gallons (US and Imperial).

Last edited:
Mr. ale. Yup, I convert back to mpg as well but don't forget, there are TWO gallons (US and Imperial).

Yes, I've always found it humorous that the US is one of the few holdouts on on the imperial system but they have their own gallon measurement.

24 hours later and not much has changed:

Douglas Channel
STORM WARNING IN EFFECT
FREEZING SPRAY WARNING IN EFFECT
Issued 09:30 PM PST 08 December 2016
Tonight and Friday
Storm warning in effect.
Wind northeasterly outflow 40 to 50 knots diminishing to northeasterly outflow 25 to 35 Friday morning.

-13C (8.5F) right now and still gusting to 40 knots.

I see on a weather map the cold mass in upper BC and lower Yukon sliding out over the coast. Should be over soon though.

If one is an engineer or scientist degrees Kelvin or Rankin are just as sensible. As boaters we rely upon latitude, longitude, knots, Beufort scale etc. As world travelers we need to understand exchange rates, time zones, weather patterns and language confusion.

The metric system and presumed adherence to same is conveniently ignored by most of us as it is a dumbing down of our innate desires to explore other things. Bit, bytes, 0 and 1 come to mind. Exploration geologists need to be able to read the rocks, the metric system has little to do with that except for SG of course. Then there are the Mohs Scale, binary numbers, light years, volts, horsepower, acre feet.

Not to mention RTs desire to measure volumes using 5/6ths!

Or was that 6 fifths?

IMG_3136.JPG

I see on a weather map the cold mass in upper BC and lower Yukon sliding out over the coast. Should be over soon though.

We'll have to wait & see...forecast is for more of the same:

Today Tonight and Saturday
Storm warning in effect.
Wind northeasterly outflow 40 to 50 knots diminishing to northeasterly outflow 25 to 35 this morning.

Extended Forecast
Issued 04:00 AM PST 09 December 2016
Sunday - Wind northeasterly outflow 40 to 50 knots.
Monday - Wind northeasterly outflow 30 to 40 knots.
Tuesday - Wind northeasterly outflow 30 to 40 knots.
Temperature -14C (7F)

Sometimes when these cold outflow winds finally slow down a "Pineapple Express" rain system stretching to Hawaii rides up over top, and we get 4 foot snowfalls in a day, or 7 feet in two days like a couple years ago.

It's a crazy place, with a marine climate but 60 miles inland at the top of Douglas Channel and pretty much surrounded by mountains. I love it :thumb:

Last edited:
Yikes!!
I'll stop whining about having to wear socks here in southern CA every time the temps drop below 60 degrees

We have no wind in the Skagit Valley today but its been quite cold for our area for several days and we got a little over an inch of snow last night. Supposed to dry up and be a bit warmer for a couple days, then back to sub freezing for a week or so. Something about global warming or other....

We live in SE Washington and have been hit with that cold blast that's working its way across the country. We've been in the teens at night with highs in the mid-20's in the "heat of the day". Last night we got a couple of inches of snow and a bit more to come tonight.

Wifey B: West Coast of FL. Freeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzinnnnnng today. High only 63 degrees. :nonono::nonono::nonono: Fortunately back to acceptable 76 tomorrow and the 80's on Sunday. :D:D:D

Had we been home it would have been 76 today. That's livable. ;)

Last edited:
-4C going down to -7C tonight, just a skim of ice near shore here east of Toronto.
Boat is wrapped, ice eater is deployed but not turned on. My heated water lines are turned on at the boat and at the shore.
Running water, hot showers, cable TV and I work from home, which is my boat.
I think I can ride out the winter.

Cold here in NC too. 37 degrees right now, luckily winds are fairly light. I was so hoping for a warm winter like last year. :nonono:

Another North Carolina report: About 38F going down to 25F by early morning. Just finished draining pipes on the dock. 25F is about -4C. See, I'm bilingual!!!

Greetings,

NAPA: "Does it have SAE or metric fasteners?"
Woman: "I don't know. That metric business is stupid"
NAPA: "What size engine?"
Woman: 4.3 liter....Go figure.

Percisely. Obama had 8 years to do his own science duties here, but I think he prima donna skipped out.

So enjoy Imperial for generations more and BS tea parties for 4 more years...

Back
Top Bottom