Setting anchor with the windlass question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cold weather or no, I close six valves every time I leave the boat unattended (like when I'm not using it).* I'm told most boats sink while at the dock and I don't want to add to that statistic.* My hoses might be OK, but what if*a strainer decides to let go?

Conrad wrote:
*Would that work for Racor filter switching on the run? We're installing a parallel filter for that one time when we get either water or crap in the filter and need to switch on the fly. Our filter(s) are interesting to get to, and of course I expect that the switching need will only occur in rough seas.

*I've seen them in the boating pub ads, but couldn't find one quickly via Google. They exist. Cost?

Conrad wrote:*Would that work for Racor filter switching on the run? We're installing a parallel filter for that one time when we get either water or crap in the filter and need to switch on the fly. Our filter(s) are interesting to get to, and of course I expect that the switching need will only occur in rough seas.
*Yes, I think so, but one issue is the seal material.* You also want to have what I think is called a "double acting" valve, meaning when you send the voltage to the motor, it de-energizes when it reachs an adjustable stop.* Sending current again moves the motor in the opposite direction, then de-energizes again.* In this way you don't have the motor constantly powered, just when it needs to move open or close.* This one is typical, but you'd want to call and make sure it is double acting.* The seal is PFTE, which is compatible with diesel, although I have seen posts elsewhere saying PFTE will deteriorate in diesel.* Maybe someone else on the site knows the answer on that one.

http://assuredautomation.com/101/buy_101.phhttp://assuredautomation.com/101/buy_101.php

A bit off the thread(appologies) to what depth can large ships(ore carriers etc) set anchors to off shore?

I was doing a trip home from the Persian Gulf some time back (110,000 Tonne crude tanker) and we anchored in a bit over 100 mts somewhere near Ras Al-Khaimah.
To get the anchor up I had to put on both hydraulic units and screw down the relief valves.
Even then we played drag and drop until we could lift the anchor straight up.

Benn

Back
Top Bottom