Cell phone signal on inland rivers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drake

Guru
Vessel Name
Small World
Vessel Make
Defever 50
We are planning to spend next year cruising the Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers. Since I still work (sadly) I have to have a pretty reliable cell phone signal, primarily for internet access when we're away from a wifi signal.

What has been everyone's experience with signal strength and consistency in these areas?

I have thought about getting a signal booste, but not sure if it's really necessary.

Thanks.

My question fell off before anyone could answer, so I'm "refreshing" it.

Any input regarding cell phone coverage on the inland rivers would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I did the Tennessee in the summer of 2015, but have not experienced the Cumberland yet. While voice and text were usually available from both Verizon and ATT pretty much anywhere on the Tn, data in the more rural stretches (particularly upstream of Decatur Alabama) was often one or the other, or neither. Other carriers are usually available only near metro areas. The terrain is just not ideal for line of sight. But they're always upgrading. Beautiful trip, though.

Jeff Siegel, creator and owner of Active Captain, works from his boat and although he hasn't done the inland rivers of Tennessee (or maybe he has, not sure) he does need to stay connected almost every where, like you.

He has published a series of articles on using a mobile phone on your boat and the accessories needed to keep you connected: https://activecaptain.com/articles/mobilePhones/intro.php

David

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom