W100 Westerbeke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, but...

I looked at that thread and did some research.

From what I was able to get off the internet (for what it is worth) the W100 was made between 1982 and 1991.

I looked at the wiki page on engines made by Nissan, and could not get a good fit for an six cylinder diesel. (100hp) details:

One hour Rated Power Output . . . . . . . . . ..
75 PS/2000 ,.p.m. 90.5 PS/2500 ' .p.m. 103 PS/3000 r.p.m .

Continuous Rated Power Output . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . ...
63.8 PS/2000 ,.p.m: 77 PS/2500 r.p.m. 87.6 PS/3000 ' .p.m.

Not that my research methods are the best though...

I owned a Pilgrim way back and it had the 100 Hp Westerbeke and I do believe the block was a Nissan. My opinion a good motor. Keep an eye on the solid copper fuel tubing going to the motor. With the super soft mounts the movement can stress the tubing.

eyshulman,
I think it is a Nissan also.
I had an 82 Nissan Maxima 6cyl 5spd car. Was very noisy on a light load but got strangely quiet working at low revs.
Nice car. A female voice came on saying "lights are on" when I left them on. A very pleasant female voice. Re the car I couldn't stand the racket and sold it.

A guy had a Sisu on my dock many years ago with a W100 straight six. I think it was a Mazda, but could have been a Nissan. Or Mitsubishi?? It was definitely Japanese, and a glow plug engine.

A quick net search did not give an answer.

Last edited:
Ski,
I don't remember if my Maxima had glow plugs but my memory is a part of me that's not 100%. Sure rattled at iddle. That's a trait of direct injection isn't it? My Yanmar (DI) was like that but my Mitsu (prechamber) is considerably quieter.

eyshulman,
I think it is a Nissan also.
I had an 82 Nissan Maxima 6cyl 5spd car. Was very noisy on a light load but got strangely quiet working at low revs.
Nice car. A female voice came on saying "lights are on" when I left them on. A very pleasant female voice. Re the car I couldn't stand the racket and sold it.

So youre saying that even though she had a very pleasant voice, she made such a racket the car had to go? :)

Ski,
I don't remember if my Maxima had glow plugs but my memory is a part of me that's not 100%. Sure rattled at iddle. That's a trait of direct injection isn't it? My Yanmar (DI) was like that but my Mitsu (prechamber) is considerably quieter.

Prechamber aka IDI has a different sound pattern compared to DI. Sometimes IDI is actually noisier. The big difference is DI gets really loud under load. IDI tends to be noisier at idle, but the noise does not increase much with added load. In general, IDI is overall quieter. New CR DI engines solved the noise issue almost completely, rendering IDI obsolete. Except in smaller mechanical engines where the expense of CR would be nutz. IDI still very practical there.

All the Japanese car engines of the 80's imported stateside were IDI, including the Nissan.

Last edited:
By the way, that has nothing to do with pre combustion chamber vs direct injection, it pilot injection vs "one shot" injection...(my term...)
Bruce

A guy had a Sisu on my dock many years ago with a W100 straight six. I think it was a Mazda, but could have been a Nissan. Or Mitsubishi?? It was definitely Japanese, and a glow plug engine.

A quick net search did not give an answer.

This post has cleared some cobwebs between my ears yes maybe a Mitsubishi def. Japanese.

Answer (I think)

I believe it was a Perkins 6.247 originally (which was made by Mazda) then they switched to a more refined Mazda engine model, the Mazda ZB, used primarily in the T4100 truck. Also in a Ford truck sold in UK. Parts are available in Australia.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom