Kayaks as dinghy....foot pedal vs paddling ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dune

Vessel Make
Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
How do the Hobie type foot pedal moving fins w/rudder, kayaks compare to conventional paddling type ? Sales guy was talking like the foot pedal way more effcient, can go much further without getting tired. Speed about the same ? How do you control the rudder if both feet engaged....a hand line ?

I presume to "come about" more quickly, you still use a paddle ?

Last edited:
Can't speak for all of them but the one I looked at had a hand lever on the left side. I believe it was an Old Town Predator PD or PDL or something. It was twice as much as my hand paddle Predator.

Can't speak for all of them but the one I looked at had a hand lever on the left side. I believe it was an Old Town Predator PD or PDL or something. It was twice as much as my hand paddle Predator.
Yes, they can get expensive compared to conventional.... $2,500 to $3,500....which is why I am so curious if you really can go much further with less body strain.... and the speed aspect.

Yes, they can get expensive compared to conventional.... $2,500 to $3,500....which is why I am so curious if you really can go much further with less body strain.... and the speed aspect.

If I recall, for about the same amount, you could get the Predator with a center mounted Minkota electric motor. Much better deal IMHO.

The Hobie finn drive is cute but achieves little if any advantage.

Dinghies go ashore and the fin drive system will be a very unwelcome burden making a landing on a beach. And nobody likes a heavy kayak. Put another way the lighter a kayak the more it gets used. Our Kayaks are heavy .. we use them seldom.

A normal paddle is far superior as long as you have a spare paddle and know how to use it. Re-entry skills after a capsize is 98% a must too. Murray is the Kayaker here and may have better input re the Hobbie.

Timely thread. My dentist and I are good friends and he's been an avid kayaker for years. Last week after my cleaning he showed me pictures on his iPhone of his new Hobie 'yak. After two individual week long camping trips with his kids he's sold on the fin style. Even though they are 2-3 times the cost he'll eventually replace all his old yaks with Hobie fin drives.

Btw Eric, I mentioned the grounding to him and he assured me it's not a problem at all as he grounded his several times per day intentionally.

Last edited:
Btw Eric, I mentioned the grounding to him and he assured me it's not a problem at all as he grounded his several times per day intentionally.
Yes, the fins are quite flexible, plus you can just yank the pedals with fins attached out before going ashore and using the paddle the rest of the way.

If I recall, for about the same amount, you could get the Predator with a center mounted Minkota electric motor. Much better deal IMHO.
Interesting...didn't know about that one. Does it come with a battery and how long could one "cruise" flat out in calm water before the (most common size/type) battery get's too weak ?

Have you used one (Hobie) on a tour in St Croix earlier this summer and they are awesome. They have a rudder you control by hand. Upside is that they are great for fishing (free hands). Downsides are they are expensive and very heavy (need two people to get one up onto an SUV). At least one of the kayak renters near Topsail rent them out, worth a try.

Interesting...didn't know about that one. Does it come with a battery and how long could one "cruise" flat out in calm water before the (most common size/type) battery get's too weak ?

They come with a battery box but I think you have to buy the battery extra.

The Minn Kota is basically a trolling motor for fishing. I read once about how far you could go on a battery charge but forgotten it. I do recall it is like bigger boats, the slower you go the longer it lasts and further it will take you. The Old Town Predator is marketed as a fishing kayak but I liked it because it was wide and stable. It is a slow moving kayak and wasn't designed for speed. There are a lot of similar kayak designs from competitors that use the Minn Kota electric motor and Hobie probably has one. The Old Town web site says the list price of the Predator MK which is the Minn Kota version is $2995.

Gabe here. I used to competitively spearfish for fun. The competitions were often kayak only. The advantage of the pedal drives was very clear. They were about 50% faster. Those guys took off like a rocket at the start!

I'll echo the "heavy" and "expensive" comments of others but - compared to our mother ships, they're not too bad! haha

Those of you that like the Hobbie may like;

frontrower.com

Also go faster than a kayak but use a canoe or similar hull. The Front Rower also has the capability to power singularly w either feet/legs or hands/arms .. or both. I had one and it's an engineering marvel.

Last edited:
Yes, the fins are quite flexible, plus you can just yank the pedals with fins attached out before going ashore and using the paddle the rest of the way.

Sorry, but the fins are not flexible. The trailing edge is, but the leading edge has a stainless steel rod in that can be bent if something is hit.

As for going ashore, you can remove the Mirage Drives as you stated, but it's easier to simply put one pedal forward. When you do that, the fins fold up next to the hull (it can be locked there as well).

Yes, you can go farther and faster. And, if you prefer paddling, then paddle!

Sorry Eric, but the Hobies have many advantages over traditional kayaks, many that have already been mentioned.

However, what may be the most important advantage not mentioned yet, is that women love them as they're so easy! That's a big plus in my book. It has to be fun for them as well!

And Eric, I'll also put it another way as you say, the funner a kayak is, the more it will get used. You need to try one before you say a normal paddle one is far superior. You just may like it.

And, as mentioned already, the only disadvantage is the price and weight.

We have two Hobie kayaks (Revoultion 11) on our boat. They are just about the best thing we have added to the boat. We use them all the time. The pedals are very efficient. We "cruise" at around 2.5 knots pedalling casually. They are indeed on the expensive side. I think we paid $2100 each. Ours weigh about 55 pounds. It takes both of us to get them in and out of the racks.

Another similar system, take less storage space:

images

...yet another option...

img_500255_0_422d4c08a5323d7292b5b600a2e70750.jpg

I adapted the rigger from my sliding seat rowboat to work on a SUP. Works pretty good too! Weighs a lot less than my wood rowboat, is fast and stable too. This one is an inflatable, easy to stow and move around.

I got less than a boat buck into it as I already had the rigger, seat, oars. Just had to bend up some new spreaders to hold the oarlocks and adapt that to the rigger frame.

Good exercise too when I wanna move out, works me out top to bottom without beating up my joints or back. And I don't have to wear it like a kayak or stand up like a millennial!

Hobie has a new inflatable kayak with the fin drive, advantage being easy storage when not in use by deflating it. I was looking to save weight as my two 15' ocean kayaks (sit on tops) are around 65 lbs each and it's getting harder every year to load and unload from the cabin roof... They are short, and can be used as either a paddle kayak or with the fin drive, have a little lawn chair type seat that mounts to keep your butt dry. I think they call it the Adventure, coming out this year and around $2000. I will be wanting to try one out.

FYI the fins on the drive on the Hobies lift up against the bottom of the hull when you push both pedals forward at the same time for beaching. At least according to their video...

OK,
May here think the Hobbie is better.
How so? Only thing I can see is that they are faster.
Comming from group of hull speed boaters that seems odd.
I think a regular kayak makes 2.5 knots w a middle of road paddler.
Why all that money and extra weight for slight speed only?
It's cuter and cooler so it's better? Is that what I'm hearing?

Come to think of it the Hobbie could be considerably faster in a headwind as the returning kayak blade against the wind is .. a drag.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. bp. Re: post #16. I didn't realize this was a competition. I look upon Mr. L_t's contribution as adding to the discussion. I appreciate a kindred spirit.

Greetings,
Mr. bp. Re: post #16. I didn't realize this was a competition. I look upon Mr. L_t's contribution as adding to the discussion. I appreciate a kindred spirit.

No competition possible Mr RT, As an humble apprentice I recognize easilly your immense talent to make me laugh with your pictures, no doubt that I will never be able to reach your level and must just be happy to walk in your steps from far away.

Best Regards,

Your devoted L.T. :thumb:

OK,
May here think the Hobbie is better.
How so? Only thing I can see is that they are faster.
Comming from group of hull speed boaters that seems odd.
I think a regular kayak makes 2.5 knots w a middle of road paddler.
Why all that money and extra weight for slight speed only?
It's cuter and cooler so it's better. Is that what I'm hearing?

Come to think of it the Hobbie could be considerably faster in a headwind as the returning kayak blade against the wind is .. a drag.

Eric, I have no idea what you're hearing, but your surely not reading all of the posts. If you read all of the posts and not just one or two, you'll see the many reasons that many think they're better. It's not just speed!

And, you're the only one that said "it's cuter and cooler". Nobody else.

And, to raise the fins, all you need to do is put one pedal forward and one pedal rearward, not both forward.

My friends have a Hobie kayak. As soon as they tie up to a mooring or drop the hook (they have the wrong one) the wife is in the kayak and cruises all over. She just loves it. It's not a novelty for her as she's been doing that for at least 4-years. Oddly, she cannot swim but wears a PFD. That says something about the stability of the Hobie.

Wild. I think simple is better. I have 2 sit on tops for recreation. You would need wetsuits in cold water. I use an 11ft whaler for a dingy. It has a 15 hp Honda 4 stroke with center console. It will do 20 knots.

Sorry, but the fins are not flexible. The trailing edge is, but the leading edge has a stainless steel rod in that can be bent if something is hit.

As for going ashore, you can remove the Mirage Drives as you stated, but it's easier to simply put one pedal forward. When you do that, the fins fold up next to the hull (it can be locked there as well).

Yes, you can go farther and faster. And, if you prefer paddling, then paddle!

Sorry Eric, but the Hobies have many advantages over traditional kayaks, many that have already been mentioned.

However, what may be the most important advantage not mentioned yet, is that women love them as they're so easy! That's a big plus in my book. It has to be fun for them as well!

And Eric, I'll also put it another way as you say, the funner a kayak is, the more it will get used. You need to try one before you say a normal paddle one is far superior. You just may like it.

And, as mentioned already, the only disadvantage is the price and weight.

to add to above I have had several years of experience with plan kayaks and a Hobe double and agree with Nsail. I also add that the hobe is a sit on not a sit in unit making boarding and unshipping my old body much easier than trying to pull out of the tight fitting inside of a tippy sausage that need a skirt on occasion. The unit allows both pedaling and paddling and both can be done together if desired. The Hobe is significantly heavier than a standard kayak. The fins do fold up as mentioned by Nsail's post and I have made over a hundred beach landings with no damage.

Rusty says his 11' Hobbie weighs 55lbs.
A 16' normal kayak made of "plasitc" (like the Hobbie (correct me if I'm wrong)) must be 75 or 80lbs w the fins installed .. likely more. For less money one could get a kevlar kayak of 17' or so for less money that would be lighter .. and faster due to it's longer length and lower PC.

But OK this is pleasure boating and what's best is what pleases the boater most.
Since I don't live in Florida you won't catch me plunk'in my butt down on a sit on top. However the regular small cockpit holes aren't palatable to me either. I only buy kayaks that one can lift up their knees while seated. But I'm a rec kayacker. At my age though canoes and rowboats are much more attractive.

Last edited:
The pedal Hobies look like fun to fish out of. Surely their weight is the disadvantage. I think the kayaks we use are about 35 to 40 pounds. I haven't unrolled the inflatable for several years. We carry a full compliment of four sit-in boats. The scariest part has been when sealions want to mess with you. Seals are curious. Beaching might be easier with a traditional kayak.

open
Picture of some of the crew kayaking
open

Last edited:
I guess it's time to contribute to the group.

I'm not quite and expert on the Hobie peddle kayaks, but close. Our first one was a tandem that is probably the highest mileage kayak in the country. We were out in it 3 or 4 times a week, sometimes hours on end, day/night, summer/winter. That one has sold, went thru more and currently have three... two singles and one of the latest Oasis Tandems, bought two new and one used. I often go out with a group of several kayakers. The neighbor is an expert with his ocean kayak... but a different mission; other neighbor has the fishing one and another new single.

Previous to that I've spend time on a lot of kayaks, and canoes... from white water to long trips. I'm not a white water expert, but brother is... however, I've done will with a good canoe on class III rivers.

Now, as for the Kayaks... overall they are absolutely great. They are MUCH more efficient pedaling than paddling, but an avid ocean kayaker would probably out run us. For just lollygagging along, they are almost effortless and can go hours, if your butt can take it.

They are heavier than a lot of kayaks. I can load my Oasis tandem (~90 lbs) on the top of my Surburban single handed, but takes some thought. I can put two kayaks up there but need help with the second one.

Overall the maintenance is not bad. I've rebuilt the pedals a few times, adjusted rudders, and parts, but not bad.... and I've been kayaking these for over 16 years.

For beaching, it's easier to remove the pedals before getting too shallow (18"), or you have to tip the kayak to get them out, but you can "feather" them by pushing either pedal all the way and kayak in about 6 to 8".

They are extremely stable, even in 4 footers (but not fun). I've tipped mine over purposely to just to practice survival techniques, but only tipped them over twice when I didn't intend to do so, and both times were doing something absolutely stupid (will not tell)......

They also come with an optional sail. I'm not a big fan of it, would rather be windsurfing. However they make a specific sail kayak called the Island, that's a great really stable sailing vessel (my kid has one).

The GOODS: They are becoming very common and not hard to maintain and get parts for, pick up a used one that's very good and sell when you upgrade. They are incredibly EASY to operate and a lot of fun. They are very safe. Paddle or pedal, steer with a tiller to a rudder (some have dual steering, like mine). They can haul a reasonable amount of junk... coolers, drinks, clothes, etc. They are easy to equip for night time. They are easy to fish from (and they have a few fishing models).

The BADS: They are heavier, harder to transport (but also come with wheels as a option). They are expensive. It might be hard to haul on a trawler, but I'm gonna figure it out. I don't believe they will replace a dinghy, but would work if you didn't have to haul a lot. (some of the singles haul a bunch) None will haul more than a big canoe, but probably as good or better than most kayaks.

I've even got two of them with shade umbrellas.

There have been MANY modifications and different models over the years, and the very first ones are still pretty good kayaks. I can go over the progression and some of the good pointers for specific models if someone's interested.

What else do you want to know......?

I'd post some pictures if I could figure that out again....

Very good post Sevee,
You should post more often.
I'm taking what you say to the bank.
Seems they are a lot better than I thought.
I'll try one if I get the chance w/o walking a mile.
For now I'm going to try my aluminum canoe for a dinghy. It's 15', Alumacraft .. wide and full in both ends. Can pack two of us and a lot of stuff. I went to a lot of trouble w a Handyman jack pushing the bottom down a bit at a time until it was a nice gentle curve. Gives the originally straight keel about 3/4" rocker. It has a 1" keel but turns nicely now and paddles anywhere in the wind. Need to board the Willard w "hook top" ladder. Haven't tried it.

Re posting pics see top of page and go to FAQ. Find pics and go. Any trouble Private Mail (PM top right of page) and we'll git-er-done. PM me also via clicking on "Nomad Willy" above avatar and send msg.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom