hull # 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milt

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
White Pelican
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 34' sedan 1973
I just picked up a 1973 34' marine trader sedan hull # 40. Not sure how they numbered there hulls. Did they do it by year, model, size or did they just start with # 1 and add numbers with out regard to model, year of size.?

Does this hull have a set of numbers molded into the fiberglass hull on the Transom? On STBD side near the top edge? If so the last 4 are the year. The next 5 are the hull numbers. And the first three letters are the manufacturer. Your hull age would be right around the time these molded in numbers started.

How's that?

Last edited:
Does this hull have a set of numbers molded into the fiberglass hull on the Transom? On STBD side near the top edge? If so the last two are the year. The next 4 are the hull numbers. And the first three letters are the manufacturer. Your hull age would be right around the time these molded in numbers started.

Close but no coconut :)

Check out Whats a HIN ?

I'll have to check mine. I'm almost positive mine has only two in last group (79). Probably done on a Monday or Friday!

Last four are two digit month and two digit year of manufacture.

There are no numbers on the transom port or star. The serial # is on a plaque on the lower helm. 34-7310SS Wondering if hull # 40 means that it was the 40th hull built for 34' sedan or the 40th hull built for any model/size in 1973.

I have a Marine Trader also. I'll have to look at my number. Don't know it off the top of my head, maybe I should.

Your number looks like it describes your boat. 34 for how big, 73 for year and 10 for possibly the month of October?

I have a Marine Trader also. I'll have to look at my number. Don't know it off the top of my head, maybe I should.

Your number looks like it describes your boat. 34 for how big, 73 for year and 10 for possibly the month of October?

As previously posted .... Whats a HIN ? explains how to read the code.

As previously posted .... Whats a HIN ? explains how to read the code.

That's not the whole story. Even though HINs were instituted in early 70's the government didn't strictly enforce the application of Hull Nos until later (IIRC 76 or so). There was a couple year gray area where 'Some Manufacturers' didn't read the memo. This particular boat may have fallen under the grey area. I recall having gone to a couple boats with an electric engraver and carving into the gel coat the HIN retroactively.

Or it is possible the hull was re painted and someone got a little overzealous with the sanding and ground the HIN off.

That's not the whole story. Even though HINs were instituted in early 70's the government didn't strictly enforce the application of Hull Nos until later (IIRC 76 or so). There was a couple year gray area where 'Some Manufacturers' didn't read the memo. This particular boat may have fallen under the grey area. I recall having gone to a couple boats with an electric engraver and carving into the gel coat the HIN retroactively.

Or it is possible the hull was re painted and someone got a little overzealous with the sanding and ground the HIN off.

Yeah, some mfg's were sloppy but not much anyone can do about that or the practice of some dealers changing numbers. I saw one boat at the Toronto boat show three years in a row where they had changed the code to make the boat current in each year. Of course Honda was once fined for doing the same thing on a much larger scale.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom