Leaving Knoxville for south Florida on a 4788

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That has to be the worst feeling, coming back to the dock and seeing your boat floating away. This has not happened to me....yet.

I figured it had banged into a few there had holes shorted out electronics was sinking.....

Upon closer examination, how extensive was the damage at Midway?

No one was hurt. One long dock of covered slips are a twisted mess. It was a dock of live aboards
My boat has a few deep scratches. We've been running all day Thank the lord no problems.
The thought of what could have happened makes those scratches nothing

David, we missed you by one day.
We pulled into Midway marina yesterday afternoon (Wednesday). Glad you guys were saved from catastrophe.

David, we missed you by one day.

We pulled into Midway marina yesterday afternoon (Wednesday). Glad you guys were saved from catastrophe.

Oh darn. I cruised from 10:30 am til 9pm. We are in Tuscaloosa at Tom Bevill lock. We decide to chance it. Driving at night is mostly by instruments. Radar an chart plotter. I came around a corner and found a tug and several barges on the beach letting another barge in front of me by. I went to 13 and asked where they wanted me. He told me to follow the other south bound. I got to follow a tug for a while. We were only going about 5mph. I finally called him and asked if I could give him a one whistle pass and he replied better make it a two. It looked wide open on his right but as we approached I could see the green cans.

I will stop in demopolus then I may stay in dog river at the grand mariner

There is a lot of what looks like sod in the water here. Except there Lilly pads clumped together with roots. They scare the heck outta ya when they hit Your but puckers especially when your traveling at night and you know better.

We left tornado alley there and went threw 5 locks. Traveling 89 miles.

David, it's hard to believe that you didn't lose some canvas during the storm.

Got up this morning in pickensville rec area
IMG_1480606561.089109.jpg

IMG_1480606704.127062.jpg
As we leave the lock. There's a lot of foam on the water along no with debrie

This is a plumber means when he say crap runs down hill. The further we go the worser it gits. This is about 299

It would be really nice to have ais. I have marine traffic but I'm having trouble using it. I gotta spend more time on it. But I'd love me to call the tugs by name

If your planning a trip like this do not go cheap on the binoculars. I'm looking threw mine all day. Looking for other boats along the shore so not to swamp them IMG_1480608570.343090.jpg

And of coarse down the middle for debris

To hit a log is probably a minimum of $3000 to pull and repair the props

At mile marker 273 I ran up on what looked like enough sod to walk across the river. I hope I didn't suck any up. We had to pilot threw it.
IMG_1480614091.505117.jpg

David, it's hard to believe that you didn't lose some canvas during the storm.

I believe the good lord was looking out for my wife and almost first mate. The canvas guy wasn't that good. He did a good job but they stood up to some wicked winds
Well maybe I should give him some credit

I believe the good lord was looking out for my wife and almost first mate. The canvas guy wasn't that good. He did a good job but they stood up to some wicked winds
Well maybe I should give him some credit

Wifey B: Tornadoes be some strange creatures. Your boat might have never even been hit by it. Look at the docks. A couple destroyed and those 100' away, fine. They scare me a lot more than hurricanes, because they're sneaky devils with little warning and you don't know where they'll hit. Hurricanes you track and follow for days.

When you hit the ICW make sure to overnight in the protected south cut just west of Pensacola pass. Don't try to exit to the east when you leave though!

You should have purchased a lottery ticket.

David, you said your headed for Dog River which we've done on previous trips. We gave Eastern Shores Marina a go this trip and stayed thru Thanksgiving with several other transient boats. Less than a dollar a foot, free day if you fuel more than 100 gallons and Fairhope, Al to visit. Also very nice sunsets.
We bypassed LuLu's heading East off Mobile Bay, Black Friday and it was jammed up with boats and people. A few miles passed LuLu's The Wharf is offering $1 @ ft to loopers, very high end facility.
We hunkered down at Bluewater Bay Marina across the bay from Destin, Fl awaiting the storm you experienced, high winds, rain and a few water spouts off shore. We celebrated surviving the storm at the marinas oyster bar and Newcastle on tap.

We docked at Panama City Marina today on the way to Port St Joe marina tommorow for a extended stay. PCM discounted fuel price $2.09 with BoatUS discount best ptice for diesel we've seen.
Bill

Hi David. Been enjoying your trip from afar. Are you sure you weren't signed up as extras in a disaster movie. Wow, to rip those cleats out, must have been some storm. Maybe just as well you were away. Dodged a bullet maybe with stuff flying and collapsing around the marina. All the best for the rest of the trip. The boat seems to be going OK for you to have made great progress.

Cheers. John H. (Australia)

Good one Rufus T. Took me a minute to figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom