Hazardous Barnacles in Florida?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You people are looking in the wrong places. In California, boatyards are regulated under the Non Point Source Pollution Control Program, which is administered by the California EPA. Florida undoubtably has a similar regulatory body. Look there.

BTW- the Clean Marina program is a completely voluntary program that carries no weight of law or anything else.

Last edited:
Link me to the relevant regulation and I will believe you.
So would you freak about oysters growing on other people's boat hulls?

I just emailed VMRC and will post back what they say about this issue.

Would I freak? No. But if it was my boat, I would worry about disposal. Also as to imprisoned and all the other things, I only said ticketed and I was referring to it as a fishing violation or some other minor violation. More perhaps like fishing out of season or putting trash in your recycling bin (and yes, I have known people ticketed for that in Pompano). I don't have a specific reference, but I just know, especially in the Maryland area of the Chesapeake, they're very particular on oyster beds and other things of that nature. By ticketed I was not implying something major and it was just a passing, partly serious, partly in jest comment as to something that wouldn't surprise me. It was not to cause you undo alarm or consternation.

In Virginia.....wasn't the question posed about Florida?

Yes, except I was told by BandB I would be ticketed by the police if they knew I scraped oysters off the boat, So then I am asking VMRC about that. I mean would you just leave such a comment that what you did was a violation of the law unchallenged?

See I have actually gotten several responses from about 3 persons on this board about various things I did on other threads they told me was a violation of the law. Which I don't take kindly too.
And so I prove them wrong. Let's set the record straight! People have terrible attitudes here. I don't understand it myself.

Last edited:
I wonder if she thinks my question is a joke?
So far nothing about fines or imprisonment for scraping off barnacles....

Code:
Legal status of Oysters growing on bottom of boat
SD
Scott Downey
  |
Today, 3:24 PM
Thanks, how about fines?
I was told by someone  there was a law against scrapping off oyster when you haul your boat for new bottom paints.
NL
Naismith, Laurie (MRC) <laurie.naismith@mrc.virginia.gov>

Reply|
Today, 1:52 PM
You 
Thank you. No, you cannot be imprisoned if oysters are found growing on the hull of your boat.

[Laurie.Naismith@mrc.virginia.gov%20]Laurie.Naismith@mrc.virginia.gov
Virginia Marine Resources Commission
Public Relations& Social Media Manager
757-247-2269
757-508-1804 Mobile
facebook-square https://www.facebook.com/MRCVirginia  
twitterhttps://twitter.com/VaMRC
UTube 2https://www.youtube.com/user/VirginiaMRC
SD
Scott Downey
  |
Today, 6:13 AM
If I haul my boat and a few oysters are found growing on the boat hull, is there a violation of the law and can the boat owner be fined or imprisoned?
This question came up on an internet forum where one person alleged if the authorities knew oysters were growing on the boat bottom and you hauled out for your regular painting and scraped them off, that is a violation of the law and you would be fined.

So I don't believe what the person claims, so do you know?

Thanks.

How did you get this out of this thread? You completely misunderstood what the OP (or anybody here) posted. Nobody said that having oysters (or any shelled animals) growing on the hull was some sort of violation. Hell, let an entire reef grow on your hull if you like. There's no law against it. The point is that boatyards are required to handle the fouling growth they remove at haulout as hazardous waste. That's expensive and they aren't going to eat the cost of it. So when a boat is hauled and is excessively foul, the yard will (rightfully so) pass the cost to the customer. There is no fine for the boat owner.

How did you get this out of this thread? You completely misunderstood what the OP (or anybody here) posted. Nobody said that having oysters (or any shelled animals) growing on the hull was some sort of violation. Hell, let an entire reef grow on your hull if you like. There's no law against it. The point is that boatyards are required to handle the fouling growth they remove at haulout as hazardous waste. That's expensive and they aren't going to eat the cost of it. So when a boat is hauled and is excessively foul, the yard will (rightfully so) pass the cost to the customer. There is no fine for the boat owner.

Read post #24, TICKETED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
"Another reason to clean the bottom before hauling as you could have actually been ticketed in that situation."

Link me to the relevant regulation and I will believe you.
So would you freak about oysters growing on other people's boat hulls?

I just emailed VMRC and will post back what they say about this issue.

SO just WHO is going to give me ticket, citation?? My Marina??
No the implication is a citation from some kind of government agency.

Original post #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I had oysters on the bottom last haul and some people at the marine were distraught.
Basically I was being cruel for leaving them on the gravel under the boat.
So after I scraped them off, I threw them back into the water, where they will die since they lost their attachment and will sink into the mud. This however pleased several boat owners at the marina. I kid you not.

BandB said in response...
Another reason to clean the bottom before hauling as you could have actually been ticketed in that situation.

Last edited:
Well, that's my point. Nobody is going to ticket you. There is no fine for having a foul hull or for having any particular plant or animal growth on it. The only "penalty" might be if a boat owner is charged extra at the boatyard and again, that is simply the yard passing their increased costs on to the customer.

Well, that's my point. Nobody is going to ticket you. There is no fine for having a foul hull or for having any particular plant or animal growth on. The only "penalty" might be if a boat owner is charged extra at the boatyard and again, that is simply the yard passing their increased costs on to the customer.

I did not think so either....
But I was not going to let that one slide by, so I emailed VMRC to ask specifically.
It is just so blatantly obvious to me what is going on.

Well, that's my point. Nobody is going to ticket you. There is no fine for having a foul hull or for having any particular plant or animal growth on it. The only "penalty" might be if a boat owner is charged extra at the boatyard and again, that is simply the yard passing their increased costs on to the customer.

There are two situations. One is where the yard does the cleaning and the other where the owner does it themselves.

Not that it's relevant to either of the discussions taking place but just to give an example of how the risks are sometimes perceived, Texas has a huge Zebra Mussel issue and with so many trailered boats they are taken from lake to lake so here is the law there.

Possession or transportation of zebra mussels in Texas is a Class C misdemeanor for the first offense, punishable by a fine of up to $500. Repeat offenses can be elevated to a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $2,000, jail time up to 180 days, or both.​

She responded back again.

No fine, and no violation, means you will not get ticketed or a citation by a government agency in VA for scraping off oysters when you haul out of the water. Nothing whatsoever.

Code:
Legal status of Oysters growing on bottom of boat

NL
Naismith, Laurie (MRC) <Laurie.Naismith@mrc.virginia.gov>
  |
Today, 3:46 PM
[B]No fine.[/B]

[Laurie.Naismith@mrc.virginia.gov%20]Laurie.Naismith@mrc.virginia.gov
Virginia Marine Resources Commission
Public Relations& Social Media Manager
757-247-2269
757-508-1804 Mobile
facebook-square https://www.facebook.com/MRCVirginia  
twitterhttps://twitter.com/VaMRC
UTube 2https://www.youtube.com/user/VirginiaMRC
SD
Scott Downey

Reply|
Today, 3:24 PM
Naismith, Laurie (MRC) (Laurie.Naismith@mrc.virginia.gov) 
Sent Items
Thanks, how about fines?
I was told by someone  there was a law against scrapping off oyster when you haul your boat for new bottom paints.

Never heard of such a thing. Been in Fl since 09. At my yard they have a big pit like a restaurant grease trap. They pressure wash into the pit and the crap sinks to the bottom. Then every few months a vacuum truck sucks it out. They have the FL Clean Marina rating.
The given story from the yard has an aroma about it....check around.

There are two situations. One is where the yard does the cleaning and the other where the owner does it themselves.

Not that it's relevant to either of the discussions taking place but just to give an example of how the risks are sometimes perceived, Texas has a huge Zebra Mussel issue and with so many trailered boats they are taken from lake to lake so here is the law there.

Possession or transportation of zebra mussels in Texas is a Class C misdemeanor for the first offense, punishable by a fine of up to $500. Repeat offenses can be elevated to a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $2,000, jail time up to 180 days, or both.​

I fail to see where a situation regarding trailered, freshwater boats is applicable or even germane to this discussion.

I fail to see where a situation regarding trailered, freshwater boats is applicable or even germane to this discussion.

Only to the extent that Florida is now facing a mussels issue and so was germane to the point of how serious these issues can become. I said it wasn't particularly relevant.

As to the OP's situation, none of us still have any idea what exactly was taking place or the marina was basing their statement on.

Yes, except I was told by BandB I would be ticketed by the police if they knew I scraped oysters off the boat, So then I am asking VMRC about that. I mean would you just leave such a comment that what you did was a violation of the law unchallenged?

See I have actually gotten several responses from about 3 persons on this board about various things I did on other threads they told me was a violation of the law. Which I don't take kindly too.
And so I prove them wrong. Let's set the record straight! People have terrible attitudes here. I don't understand it myself.

Ooops...your right...sorry....:eek:

The Florida Sea Grant program had an article about the invasive species call the Pacific Acorn barnacle

I couldn't get the link to work to read it, but the highlights of it mentioned these barnacles have become prevalent in the St Augustine area and they are hazardous.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find out why they are hazardous...maybe someone not on the road can find out some more.

Even if they are a particular nasty type of barnacle, how would scraping them off in the water be preferable to removing them after haul-out so they are rendered DEAD..? Just sayin' :eek:

Even if they are a particular nasty type of barnacle, how would scraping them off in the water be preferable to removing them after haul-out so they are rendered DEAD..? Just sayin' :eek:

Welcome to American politics. It and the road to hell are paved with excellent intentions.

see post #6

Barnacles in and of themselves are not hazardous. But when they've been scraped or pressure washed off a boat bottom that is coated with a pesticide (which is how anti fouling paint is classified) and this is done in a boatyard, then they are deemed "hazardous waste" and must be disposed of as such.

And BTW- keep bitching about it. Pretty soon you won't be able to have your boat cleaned in the water either. Then where will you be? :thumb:

Better yet, where will I be? :eek:

With any luck inspecting bottoms in the Bahamas

IMG_1480558112.634570.jpg

Is that a barnacle on the Port side?

I think it's because you look guilty. And/or you have a guilty conscience. What with all your illegal oyster growing and scraping. And God knows what else you're involved in.

Of course you might just be paranoid. :D

"It is just so blatantly obvious to me what is going on."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom