Hazardous Barnacles in Florida?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger Long

Vessel Name
Gypsy Star
Vessel Make
Gulf Star 43
We're talking to a yard in FL about hauling for zincs, etc. They said we have to pay for a diver to survey the bottom first because it is a FL law that barnacles must be treated as hazardous waste once out of the water. It's OK to scrape them off in the slip. They said this is to protect us from a bill for $thousands if we have a significant build up. They have asked every agency for the rational and no one seems to know. Has anyone else heard of this?

We're talking to a yard in FL about hauling for zincs, etc. They said we have to pay for a diver to survey the bottom first because it is a FL law that barnacles must be treated as hazardous waste once out of the water. It's OK to scrape them off in the slip. They said this is to protect us from a bill for $thousands if we have a significant build up. They have asked every agency for the rational and no one seems to know. Has anyone else heard of this?

Have had many a haul out - the last this past February.

Never heard of such a thing. I would call another yard and ask them.

Have hauled in ft Lauderdale ( playboy marine) and when in the sling they power wash the hull. If you have alot of barnacles,growth they may charge you for scraping the bottom. All water from the wash is run thru a cleaning machine as they don't want it to go into the water per environment is laws. Never heard of hazardous barnacles,but if your bottom is covered with them then maybe a diver is called for.

Can only think of 2 things...

One, they will be mixed with bottom paint and thus hazardous because of the unknown paint variety (yes you know msybe, but they dont).

Or two.....they start decomposing and are full of marine micro organisms that could be nothing all the way up to flesh eating bacteria (stretch, but you know.... )......if it were this, I would think it would be called bio hazard and cost even more.

Bottom line, haven't heard of it, but a bunch of new regs are affecting marinas all over and the time lines for going into effect sometimes are affected only by marina changes or operations.

You might just call another marina and see if they will haul the boat without an inspection by a diver.

I would think scraping the barnacles off over a tarp and collecting them would be more friendly to the environment.

And lastly, if you have to pay a diver, why not just have him replace the anodes and leave the boat in the water?

Maybe like dredge spoils.

Oil and other things stirred up by dredging is not considered a spill.....it's already in the water. (Of course unless that obscure law was changed and not advertised like the original one)

So as long as it came from the water and goes right back in...no harm no foul.

But I would definitely call around as others have pointed out as my home marina does things and does't do things that other marinas claim are "law".

As with all things....always exceptions.

Lived in FL most of my life and never heard of such a law. It doesn't seem to pass the smell test as thousands and thousands of boats are lifted out of the water and placed on racks almost daily. Now it may be possible that a local jurisdiction passed such a law but I doubt it. It is probably marina policy to protect the life of the lift harness. Barnacles can get quite large and sharp but hasn't your boat been in transit?

Moved here in 2000, never heard of any such rule. Sounds like a scam
. John

The diver is he attached to the yard ? Son of the owner? I've become a little cynical as I age about this type of stuff. I'd definitely be checking other yards for their rules.

It's been the law here in California for years. Maybe it doesn't make a lot of sense, but excessive fouling growth must be handled and disposed of as hazardous waste by the yard. If they suspect a boat to be very foul, the yard will frequently advise a boat owner to have his hull cleaned prior to a haulout.

It's been the law here in California for years. Maybe it doesn't make a lot of sense, but excessive fouling growth must be handled and disposed of as hazardous waste by the yard. If they suspect a boat to be very foul, the yard will frequently advise a boat owner to have his hull cleaned prior to a haulout.

Lawmakers have all the answers, don't they.

Maybe a back door law for marinas.....meaning there is no law for scraping the banacles off...but the law make kick in that they can't be treated as garbage or placed in a dumpster for overland transport.

That may be the resistance at one or some marinas and not others who just shovel them back i or the dumpster companies/landfills in their areas don't look too closely.

The company I work for occasionally is a hazmat transporter and the guy who has the state certificate for hazmat transporting lost his hair a long time ago pulling it out....:D

What he said. ^

The diver is he attached to the yard ? Son of the owner? I've become a little cynical as I age about this type of stuff. I'd definitely be checking other yards for their rules.

Personally I think the yard was doing you a favor.

Hire a diver for $50-$100 to clean your bottom first, or we have might have to charge you a lot more in environmental fees.

They could have suggested nothing and pocket the fee.

I had oysters on the bottom last haul and some people at the marine were distraught.
Basically I was being cruel for leaving them on the gravel under the boat.
So after I scraped them off, I threw them back into the water, where they will die since they lost their attachment and will sink into the mud. This however pleased several boat owners at the marina. I kid you not.

I had oysters on the bottom last haul and some people at the marine were distraught.
Basically I was being cruel for leaving them on the gravel under the boat.
So after I scraped them off, I threw them back into the water, where they will die since they lost their attachment and will sink into the mud. This however pleased several boat owners at the marina. I kid you not.

Another reason to clean the bottom before hauling as you could have actually been ticketed in that situation.

It funny to me that the yards make you put a tarp under the boat if you sand,scrap or do any bottom work. Then when done you take that tarp full of toxic stuff and put it in the same dumpster that all trash goes into.! The truck comes and takes it to the landfill or incinerator. So much for environmental responsibility???!.

How bad is the growth? When was the bottom last cleaned?

in futur they will class you part of marine park if you have to much life under your boat and he will be forbidden to clean you bottom !!!!

we walk on head on this planet

Roger,
I was told the same by a yard in St. Augustine. I had been cleaned a few weeks before so I told them I was fine, and they hauled me.

Lived in FL most of my life and never heard of such a law. It doesn't seem to pass the smell test as thousands and thousands of boats are lifted out of the water and placed on racks almost daily. Now it may be possible that a local jurisdiction passed such a law but I doubt it. It is probably marina policy to protect the life of the lift harness. Barnacles can get quite large and sharp but hasn't your boat been in transit?

Sounds like the left-handed screwdriver to me - that or they are too lazy or cost conscious :nonono:to get rid of the scrapings in a recognised way, so try to get you to do it in the water.

Another reason to clean the bottom before hauling as you could have actually been ticketed in that situation.

Link me to the relevant regulation and I will believe you.
So would you freak about oysters growing on other people's boat hulls?

I just emailed VMRC and will post back what they say about this issue.

Last edited:
There are a number of very fine boatyards here in Jacksonville, Florida. One in particular, Sadler Point Marina, prides itself on being environmentally conscious. (The water quality of the St. Johns River has been receiving growing attention throughout NE Florida).

Nowhere on Sadler Point's comprehensive information and FAQ page ( Frequently Asked Questions » Sadler Point Marina ) is there mention of the alleged "law" mentioned by the OP. I've never heard of it, and no one I know has ever heard of it either. I suspect something is being lost in translation here.

The Florida Sea Grant program had an article about the invasive species call the Pacific Acorn barnacle

I couldn't get the link to work to read it, but the highlights of it mentioned these barnacles have become prevalent in the St Augustine area and they are hazardous.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find out why they are hazardous...maybe someone not on the road can find out some more.

The Florida Sea Grant program had an article about the invasive species call the Pacific Acorn barnacle

I couldn't get the link to work to read it, but the highlights of it mentioned these barnacles have become prevalent in the St Augustine area and they are hazardous.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find out why they are hazardous...maybe someone not on the road can find out some more.

Here is a link to various Florida Marine Invaders. Unfortunately, the link from this page to the Acorn barnacles isn't working.

Marine Invasives - Sea Grant ? St. Johns County Extension Office

Interestingly, on reading about green mussel's, it says ideally the boat should be hauled and cleaned at a facility capable of disposing of the mussels.

I know one fear of all these things is transporting them to other waters. Northern Texas has some major issues with Zebra Mussels.

Last edited:
There are a number of very fine boatyards here in Jacksonville, Florida. One in particular, Sadler Point Marina, prides itself on being environmentally conscious. (The water quality of the St. Johns River has been receiving growing attention throughout NE Florida).

Nowhere on Sadler Point's comprehensive information and FAQ page ( Frequently Asked Questions » Sadler Point Marina ) is there mention of the alleged "law" mentioned by the OP. I've never heard of it, and no one I know has ever heard of it either. I suspect something is being lost in translation here.

I suspect the only regulations are what the marina must do to dispose of the barnacles and certain marinas aren't equipped. Perhaps part of the clean marina status requirements as well. I know the clean marina requirements say quite a bit about boat cleaning.

Last edited:
Link me to the relevant regulation and I will believe you.
So would you freak about oysters growing on other people's boat hulls?

I just emailed VMRC and will post back what they say about this issue.

I wonder if she thinks my question is a joke?
So far nothing about fines or imprisonment for scraping off barnacles....

Code:
Legal status of Oysters growing on bottom of boat
SD
Scott Downey
  |
Today, 3:24 PM
Thanks, how about fines?
I was told by someone  there was a law against scrapping off oyster when you haul your boat for new bottom paints.
NL
Naismith, Laurie (MRC) <laurie.naismith@mrc.virginia.gov>

Reply|
Today, 1:52 PM
You 
Thank you. No, you cannot be imprisoned if oysters are found growing on the hull of your boat.

[Laurie.Naismith@mrc.virginia.gov%20]Laurie.Naismith@mrc.virginia.gov
Virginia Marine Resources Commission
Public Relations& Social Media Manager
757-247-2269
757-508-1804 Mobile
facebook-square https://www.facebook.com/MRCVirginia  
twitterhttps://twitter.com/VaMRC
UTube 2https://www.youtube.com/user/VirginiaMRC
SD
Scott Downey
  |
Today, 6:13 AM
If I haul my boat and a few oysters are found growing on the boat hull, is there a violation of the law and can the boat owner be fined or imprisoned?
This question came up on an internet forum where one person alleged if the authorities knew oysters were growing on the boat bottom and you hauled out for your regular painting and scraped them off, that is a violation of the law and you would be fined.

So I don't believe what the person claims, so do you know?

Thanks.

In Virginia.....wasn't the question posed about Florida?

Back
Top Bottom