Results of our fall project :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pau Hana

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Pau Hana
Vessel Make
1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Hey, all- here's a sneak peek of an article submitted for publication. Hopefully, it'll be in a local rag soon :)

Take a look- we really like how things turned out!

Attachments

• IMG_3908.jpg
    IMG_3908.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_3909.jpg
    IMG_3909.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_3910.jpg
    IMG_3910.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_3911.jpg
    IMG_3911.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_3912.jpg
    IMG_3912.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_3913.jpg
    IMG_3913.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_3914.jpg
    IMG_3914.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_3915.jpg
    IMG_3915.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_3916.jpg
    IMG_3916.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_3917.jpg
    IMG_3917.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 304
SWEET! Like a new boat! Congrats Peter on a great improvement.

Wowzers Peter! Looks fantastic! What kind of life expectancy is estimated?

Brad (our installer) said that in the PNW we can expect a 7-10 year life from the vinyl. In areas like SoCal or South Florida, it'd be about half (3-5 years).

Brad (our installer) said that in the PNW we can expect a 7-10 year life from the vinyl. In areas like SoCal or South Florida, it'd be about half (3-5 years).

When you mention life from the vinyl, what does that mean? Does it fade or start pealing off or decay or something else? Would the life have been extended if you had chosen white vinyl?

It certainly looks beautiful.

Looks awesome Peter!

A big thumbs up. Giving a boat a vinyl wrap, what a great idea. You'll have to let us know how you like it in down the road. Give us an update along the way.

When you mention life from the vinyl, what does that mean? Does it fade or start pealing off or decay or something else? Would the life have been extended if you had chosen white vinyl?

It certainly looks beautiful.

The wrap is a 2 part laminate (color and clear) and the manufacturer states it it colorfast for the long term. I believe it's the estimated life of the adhesive.

Great to hear Peter, we have a couple buses wrapped in a similar product(could be the same for all I know) that have lasted over 4 years so far.

Looks great. How difficult is the task of removing the wrap and prepping for the rewrap in 4 to 7 years? Sounds like something good for people who like to periodically change things up as well.

Perfect for someone wanting a character paint job that may not go well with other owners upon resale or huge paint stripe areas like on a KK Manatee.

Great job Peter. I've seen lots of Porsches with complete wraps and was wondering if it would work on boats too. Can't wait to see it next time we're in Shilshole.

I've often wondered about wrapping a boat hull and house. Seems like a cost-effective method if the product endures the rigors of the marine environment.

I might have missed it above, but did you share the cost of the project? I saw 1/3 of the cost of paint, but is it fair to estimate it at under $10K for your 52 footer?

I love the new look, Peter. Kudos to you for thinking of and trying this. Please keep us posted on its durability.

For a hull I've gotten quotes to wrap that were not that far off of quotes to paint.

But that's Ft. Lauderdale.

I've often wondered about wrapping a boat hull and house. Seems like a cost-effective method if the product endures the rigors of the marine environment.

I might have missed it above, but did you share the cost of the project? I saw 1/3 of the cost of paint, but is it fair to estimate it at under $10K for your 52 footer?

I love the new look, Peter. Kudos to you for thinking of and trying this. Please keep us posted on its durability.

For a hull I've gotten quotes to wrap that were not that far off of quotes to paint.

But that's Ft. Lauderdale.

I didn't mention the actual cost in the article, Al, as I worked out a deal with the shop based on being a test platform. Our cost (including haulout) was around $7000- retail cost will be around $8500 for a similar sized vessel.

Then all this brings some additional intrigue to me. What if? What if you wrapped the bottom? Perhaps a different wrap developed with some of the chemical characteristics of bottom paint? Could you develop an anti-fouling wrap? Seems quite possible to me that in conjunction with someone in the anti-fouling business already that could be done.

How about wrapping my KK Manatee with a 3D graphic of a Flemming 55.:popcorn:

(Almost) 3 year update

As there is an active thread regarding hull painting, we thought this would be a good time to update the state of our hull wrap.

We had the hull wrapped in late 2016. The film has been wearing beautifully, and still looks as fresh as day 1- and I haven’t been meticulous in washing/waxing.

Observations-

• The wrap material is tough- it can scratch/tear, so I’m a bit more prudent in docking and side tying our Whaler.
  • Repairs are very easy- cut out the offending area, wipe the hull with alcohol, and apply the patch. Done
  • Zero fade of the color- so repairs are seamless and invisible from 5’ away.

Would we do it again? Absolutely!

How long is it supposed to last?

Depends on your location- up here in the northwest, around 10 years (less direct sun exposure)...in SoCal, the Gulf Coast/Florida areas, around 5 years.

Thanks for that update, Peter! I was wondering how that wrap was faring. You're our first implementer/guinnea pig on big boat wraps. I've considered the same if/when I get tired of flat white gelcoat.

Maybe I should shoot for an IPA sponsorship wrap. Wrap my boat and I'll promote your IPA beer. Hmmmm...I have Lagunitas and Sierra Nevada Breweries in my local area.

Thanks for that update, Peter! I was wondering how that wrap was faring. You're our first implementer/guinnea pig on big boat wraps. I've considered the same if/when I get tired of flat white gelcoat.

Maybe I should shoot for an IPA sponsorship wrap. Wrap my boat and I'll promote your IPA beer. Hmmmm...I have Lagunitas and Sierra Nevada Breweries in my local area.

Make sure they pay for your fuel, as you’ll be out promoting their suds...

AND- make sure they keep your cooler well stocked with samples...

I believe one of our Trawlersandtrawlering email listees wrapped his flying bridge, but I have not heard the results.

Nice! I missed this when it was new. She looks great Pete. I was thinking of going with the same color for my topsides next time I have to paint. I wonder how well the wrap would work on aluminum.

Have you seen any areas where water got between the wrap and the hull? Any blisters? Metals don't like that sort of thing.

Make sure they pay for your fuel, as you’ll be out promoting their suds...

AND- make sure they keep your cooler well stocked with samples...

I agree. :thumb: It'll need to be in the fine print of the contract. :D

Back
Top Bottom