What is this "box" underside near my keel midship ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is indeed a transducer put there by CIA to be able to follow your boat via secret satellite. Didn't you know that the PO of your boat was pablo escobar? :D Now diamonds are becoming more and more plausible!

It's very clear for me.. it's a warp accelerator neutrino controlled... now you need to find the way to accelerate and brake before reach Jupiter..

PD: don't tell NASA you found one... ;)

Yes indeedy..... hard to know without some measuring as to what area it in in exactly on the inside hull....but as previously mentioned my guess is it is about where the pump for the watermaker is...and yet that doesn't necessarily mean the watermaker thru hull is right there under the pump....will have to look see....plus it makes no sense why a water maker would need this box in the first place....

call viking and ask them? that boat was built in st Pete Florida i delivered a few of them to new York back in 1989, may be even yours? they were built in the old gulf star factory.

call viking and ask them? that boat was built in st Pete Florida i delivered a few of them to new York back in 1989, may be even yours? they were built in the old gulf star factory.
Actually no it wasn't....was built in NJ along with the convertible Vikings. But you are right that it's heritage is a Gulfstar 55. But by 1993 this was a new design....with bulwark bow, no bow pulpit, a day head near the galley and salon, and other changes.

Designed from the get go to be a cockpit motor yacht...but previous owner did extend the aft deck and added lots of storage under that deck accessable via doors in the cockpit. It even has a third control station, usable in the cockpit (behind the smallest door on the starboard side)

As to asking Viking...highly unlikely they would know....Lazarra might know. But I won't bother him with it.... I'll figure it out next time I visit the boat on the hard...probably this Wednesday.

Yes indeedy..... hard to know without some measuring as to what area it in in exactly on the inside hull....but as previously mentioned my guess is it is about where the pump for the watermaker is...and yet that doesn't necessarily mean the watermaker thru hull is right there under the pump....will have to look see....plus it makes no sense why a water maker would need this box in the first place....

Well, a water-maker does need to draw in seawater from which to produce your desalinated water, so it probably is an intake for that, with the strainer close in on the keel side (where you can't see) so it is less likely to suck in jellyfish and similar detritus. If it is not the intake for the water-maker, it has to b a possibly redundant sonar transducer, if there is no lead now connecting to it inside, I would suggest.

I now have a couple of those. Really annoyed me that newer sonars could no longer use the ones I had through the hull. To avoid more haul-outs to fit them, and more holes in the hull, my replacement transducers are all stuck to the inside of the hull in good places with black Sikaflex, and work fine, by the way, but I don't ever go in really deep water.

I now have a couple of those. Really annoyed me that newer sonars could no longer use the ones I had through the hull. To avoid more haul-outs to fit them, and more holes in the hull, my replacement transducers are all stuck to the inside of the hull in good places with black Sikaflex, and work fine, by the way, but I don't ever go in really deep water.
FWIW, I also have an inside depth transducer...round in shape....for a 1990's vintage digital depth display unit (forget the manuf)....which is sort of nice to confirm the much newer multi-function Raymarine color display is in agreement. Only annoyance is the older unit seems to have no backlight and kinda hard to read sometimes.

Hit it repeatedly with a big hammer. When the yard finishes repairing it, check back and let us know what it was.

Mermaid tampon dispenser??

:dance:

Something must be connected to it on the inside of the boat - either a cable if it's a transducer, or a hose if it's an intake scoop/screen. You need to locate it on the inside of the boat.

Actually no it wasn't....was built in NJ along with the convertible Vikings. But you are right that it's heritage is a Gulfstar 55. But by 1993 this was a new design....with bulwark bow, no bow pulpit, a day head near the galley and salon, and other changes.

Designed from the get go to be a cockpit motor yacht...but previous owner did extend the aft deck and added lots of storage under that deck accessable via doors in the cockpit. It even has a third control station, usable in the cockpit (behind the smallest door on the starboard side)

As to asking Viking...highly unlo NJikely they would know....Lazarra might know. But I won't bother him with it.... I'll figure it onteriorut next time I visit the boat on the hard...probably this Wednesday.
it was not a new design the 63s and 74s had the same setup,they built all of the motor yachts down there the 44s 55s 63s 74s 82s then they shut it down and the boats that were not finished were run up to NJ with no interior and finished up there. somr layed around up there for 2 or three yrs

it was not a new design the 63s and 74s had the same setup,they built all of the motor yachts down there the 44s 55s 63s 74s 82s then they shut it down and the boats that were not finished were run up to NJ with no interior and finished up there. somr layed around up there for 2 or three yrs
The 63 and 74 has a similar setup but not the "same" setup. You ever seen a 63 with bulwark bow and the anchor thru the bow, like a ship ? Every 63 I've ever seen had the same flat bow and full height stainless rails like the 55. Maybe the 63 had a day head....that part I don't know.

Ironically the 55 had a little larger master stateroom than the 65....this because the 55 had a tiny aft deck with no cockpit....but mostly because the 55 used Detroit 8V engines and therefore had a much smaller engine room than the 12V powered 65 like mine (with two 20kW generators instead of one)

Another difference are spiral staircases to the staterooms and the flybridge, where they were just straight on the older models.

Somewhere on the net is a 1993 or so magazine article about the new 65 Viking CPMY which shows the details. It also mentions MAN engines as standard however....thank goodness ours has Detroits, as MAN engines scare me to death with their high maintenance costs. In fact if it had MAN's we never would have bought it in the first place.

The owners manuals that came with the boat state it was made in New Gretna, NJ.

Last edited:
Hit it repeatedly with a big hammer. When the yard finishes repairing it, check back and let us know what it was.
Uh...yes...that would be brilliant, to damage something for no reason and then get to pay extra for it to be repaired. :nonono:

Something must be connected to it on the inside of the boat - either a cable if it's a transducer, or a hose if it's an intake scoop/screen. You need to locate it on the inside of the boat.
Yep....next time I'm there will find that and report back.... OTOH almost hope I find only screw heads so I can unscrew it and get the diamonds out ! :socool:

The 63 and 74 has a similar setup but not the "same" setup. You ever seen a 63 with bulwark bow and the anchor thru the bow, like a ship ? Every 63 I've ever seen had the same flat bow and full height stainless rails like the 55. Maybe the 63 had a day head....that part I don't know.

Ironically the 55 had a little larger master stateroom than the 65....this because the 55 had a tiny aft deck with no cockpit....but mostly because the 55 used Detroit 8V engines and therefore had a much smaller engine room than the 12V powered 65 like mine (with two 20kW generators instead of one)

Another difference are spiral staircases to the staterooms and the flybridge, where they were just straight on the older models.

Somewhere on the net is a 1993 or so magazine article about the new 65 Viking CPMY which shows the details. It also mentions MAN engines as standard however....thank goodness ours has Detroits, as MAN engines scare me tof o death with their high maintenance costs. In fact if it had MAN's we never would have bought it in the first place.

The owners manuals that came with the boat state it was made in New Gretna, NJ.
you are right i but i do know that some of them layed around up there for 2or 3 yrs and the year of the build was changed on the transom? also the quality control at the old gulf star factory was no near as good as NJ. just my 2cents

you are right i but i do know that some of them layed around up there for 2or 3 yrs and the year of the build was changed on the transom? also the quality control at the old gulf star factory was no near as good as NJ. just my 2cents
Well, as I say, by 1993 Dick Lazarra and his brother Brad were supposedly working out of New Jersey and I have never seen another yacht like this one.

I talked with Dick Lazarra (long retired now) when I first bought it and I think he said they made six of them... some of which had no cockpit and were full 65 feet of boat with much larger master stateroom. I saw a 1991 or so 63 Viking CP MY at the downtown marina in Fort Meyers, FL about two years ago, and to me it looks almost antique compared to my design....although admittedly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some might like the older design better.

(reminds me on the Hatteras Forum I once commented that my ideal "look" was more commercial/ship like a Nordhavn 47, [but I couldn't afford one] and was astounded that many there thought the Nordhavn design downright "ugly" !! )

One thing I've wondered for years you might know....is there such a thing as a Gulfstar 55 MY ? I think 1987 or '88 was the first year of the 55 so one would think there might be a few labeled Gulfstar before Viking bought them, but never seen one...all labeled Viking.

Last edited:

That's my bet as well.

Well, as I say, by 1993 Dick Lazarra and his brother Brad were supposedly working out of New Jersey and I have never seen another yacht like this one.

I talked with Dick Lazarra (long retired now) when I first bought it and I think he said they made six of them... some of which had no cockpit and were full 65 feet of boat with much larger master stateroom. I saw a 1991 or so 63 Viking CP MY at the downtown marina in Fort Meyers, FL about two years ago, and to me it looks almost antique compared to my design....although admittedly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some might like the older design better.

(reminds me on the Hatteras Forum I once commented that my ideal "look" was more commercial/ship like a Nordhavn 47, [but I couldn't afford one] and was astounded that many there thought the Nordhavn design downright "ugly" !! )

One thing I've wondered for years you might know....is there such a thing as a Gulfstar 55 MY ? I think 1987 or '88 was the first year of the 55 so one would think there might be a few labeled Gulfstar before Viking bought them, but never seen one...all labeled Viking.
i think that someone on this forum has a 55 gulf star,not by viking

Chirp Wide Beam Transducer.

Attachments

• pm111_xducer_comm_install.jpg
    pm111_xducer_comm_install.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 147
  • pm111lhlm-hw.jpg
    pm111lhlm-hw.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 153
Chirp Wide Beam Transducer.

I think TG might be closest in his guess. I saw a box like this on a torpedo retriever once, connected to a thermal recording depthsounder rated over 36,000 feet. Big-azz transducer.

So Dune, what electronics do you have (or did the vessel used to have) that might fit these descriptions?

I know the history of this boat. An older couple had the boat when the captain passed away. Per his wishes the wife put his ashes in a black box and secured it near the keel.
Long live the Captain

Found out today from the yard that sure enough the box is a depth sounder transducer. But not quite what any of us thought....it is actually a "fairing block" made of wood that surrounds a much smaller transducer, which, sure enough is no longer used with the current electronics.

Closer examination of the photos reveals it is a bit more tapered at the forward side than I remembered....although being black on black I doubt anyone could tell that from the photos without knowing it to be the case.

Bottom line is they could remove it and plug the hull hole or they do nothing...doesn't hurt to just leave it be except for a miniscule increase in underwater friction.

Last edited:
Found out today from the yard that sure enough the box is a depth sounder transducer. But not quite what any of us thought....it is actually a "fairing block" made of wood that surrounds a much smaller transducer, which, sure enough is no longer used with the current electronics.

Actually that is exactly what I thought it was. A transducer in a block. Very common. Although the block these days is often made out of plastic.

You might want to use another yard if they couldn't figure thst out.

Just kidding, sort of. :D

Read through the entire thread and NO PICTURE!!!! Have no idea what it is.....

Actually that is exactly what I thought it was. A transducer in a block. Very common. Although the block these days is often made out of plastic.

You might want to use another yard if they couldn't figure thst out.

Just kidding, sort of. :D
i presume all external transducers are in a block of some sort. It was the wood aspect that no one mentioned as a possibility....which is understandably odd on a 1993 vintage vessel.

As to the yard, they did figure it out once I pointed it out....it was not a priority item....they have actual work to do on the boat that is infinitely more important (hurricane Matthew related)

Last edited:
"even the yard where they hauled her doesn't know what it is for. (and this is a major yard, south of Charleston, that has seen hundreds of boats my size before)"

Well, I can only go by what you post.

So good on them in the end.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom