View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 02:15 AM   #15
Peter B
TF Site Team
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,109
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
RE: Setting anchor with the windlass question

dwhatty wrote
"I don't want to have to deal with first opening up the engine compartment and crawling down there to open the seacock while all hell is breaking loose before I can start up and move."

I'd definitely roger that........

__________________________________________________ _______

Hollywood wrote

I would never close the sea cocks just because I was anchored... what a p.i.t.a.!, I cannot imagine having to remember to run down into the engine room and open the cocks in a emergency. If they are going to fail I want it to happen when I am aboard. That is what they make those loud bilge alarms for..

And that......

__________________________________________________ _______

Delfin wrote:
I've never been a big fan of 'setting the anchor' with any help other than the prevailing wind.* I am a fan of testing the anchor once it sets if I anticipate adverse conditions overnight.* The problem with backing down on an anchor initially, IMHO, is that it may prevent the anchor from digging in as its designed to do, which works best when it is allowed to settle into the sea bed by the force of gravity and the relatively gentle tug of wind and current.*

I will typically let out most of what I feel I need for scope and if the wind doesn't do it for me, will apply just enough power astern to straighten out the chain.* I'll then go find something to do for 20 minutes or so, then put a bit of power in reverse to ensure that the hook is set.* Then the snubber for insurance and comfort and that's it.
*And I agree basically with the above. *If you have a quick-setting anchor that's all it takes.

Any anchor that takes*1/2 revs*astern to set is one I don't want to be hanging from, sorry Eric.

*As a result I basically do what Delfin described above with the Sarca, then maybe if the forecast is a bit iffy, I might give it a tug astern after we have settled at full scope to confirm beyond doubt we have not done the freakish thing which happened once, and had a large loose rock settle on the fluke, but in that case it was obvious something was wrong as we dragged in just the current and a 5 kn breeze.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote