Leaving Knoxville for south Florida on a 4788

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMG_1480026761.473218.jpg
IMG_1480026810.957334.jpgIMG_1480026827.023923.jpg
We have a watch dog. Bonnie's not done sure about him

If y'all are following us join up so you can comment. We'd enjoy hearing from you

View attachment 59037
Never thought got I'd have to worry about hitting a deer with the boat. Wouldn't that be a good claim for the insurance.

On a recent trip we saw a buck swimming across the GIWW between Port O'Connor and Rockport. He was confused for a while trying to decide whether to keep going and try to het across before we got there or turn around and go back. He finally decided to get out of the way, although by then we had stopped to try to get some pictures.

It was a first for us.

We are a few days ahead of you. I came up to Knoxville to join my friends on their Carver 57 for the trip down river. Today we are at the Aqua marina at Pickwick Lake where we stopped for Thanksgiving. Tomorrow morning we will enter into the Tombigbee and start heading to Mobile and then on to Pensacola. Then I am headed back to LA to pick up Scot Free to bring it to Pensacola.

You might catch up with us as we are taking our time and splitting our overnights between anchoring and marinas. Give us a shout if you do. We are on Anytime Baby.

The trip so far has been beautiful with the fall colors and easy navigation on the Tennessee River. we enjoyed Chattanooga and spent three days there. We met some lovely people so far, on their boats also planning or starting the GL.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Look forward to meeting you Mr McGillicuddy. We are doing the same as far as anchoring and staying in a Marina. We have friends in bay springs so we may stay two nights.

IMG_1480036616.272650.jpg
I put up a few lights. Feeling festive I guess. IMG_1480036769.095450.jpg
I don't know when I'll get a chance to shop. Oh darn

Glad to see the smoke has cleared out around Chattanooga for you. A record drought, arsonists and careless people have caused a rash of wildfires recently. When I was home on Signal Mountain a couple weeks ago, the air was thick with smoke and you could see fires burning on the ridges from miles away. One fire was about 7 miles from our house, but the winds and some heroic fire fighters kept it away from our neighborhood.

Hey David, It's good to see you out on the Rivers again. We met on your way up when you stopped at Goose Pond.
Have a great trip down.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40

Heading to the Keyes

'Serenity' on the go.

'Serenity' will also be on the move. We are heading back to Texas.

We will be ready and standing by for weather on Sunday night and plan on leaving Joe Wheeler in NW Al. as soon as the high winds and forecasted rain leaves the area.

David, if you should get here before I leave, I have my van here an can give you guys a ride to Walmart, Sams Club or where ever you need to go.

Hope to catch you guys along the way.

Last edited:
If any of you get to marathon ,stop by harbour Cay club for a nite or two. We have had many loopers come thru in the past years. We are in the directory and active captain. Enjoy and remember ,it the journey,not the destination. Be safe and enjoy.

Tony how long is to Joe Wheeler from Chattanooga
IMG_1480082319.302619.jpg
IMG_1480082414.428829.jpg

Wondering if I can make it in a day. I was shooting for bay springs but that would surely be a stretch

Wmii I remember the title but not the face. I gots ole zymers. Glad to be back. I had my wings clipped for a while. I've been raising my granddaughter who was 2 now 4. I got married three weeks ago and am using the honeymoon excuse to travel.

IMG_1480083249.889376.jpg
We're coming into what some call the little Grand Canyon

IMG_1480084212.409563.jpg
I can see why they'd want no wake.

IMG_1480084340.462884.jpg
I wish I could reproduce the colors for y'all

It's hard with little signal to upload the better pics. I recon I'll have to wait til I get to a marina later

Tony,

If you'll be in the Seabrook area, let's connect.

Paul

Yes, Seabrook or Kemah,
We prefer Blue Dolphin because of the covered slip. If not, we liked Waterford Harbor Marina. We have been live-aboards in both places before.
We plan on getting to Biloxi/Gulfport Ms before X-mas and will stay about a month. Then we will head on to Seabrook/kemah area which will take us 2 to 3 weeks, depending on weather

Would be nice to connect.

IMG_1480085712.635602.jpg
Went potty now I can't get my seat back. And she wants me to get her coffee. Say what...

Chattanooga is about 200 miles from Joe Wheeler. Joe Wheeler is Mile No 277 I think.
With shorter daylight, it could take 3 - 4 days. Summer time is 2 long days total.
Goose Pond Marina is a great 1/2 way point. Two short days would put you on top of a dam, I dont remember which one though but there are 2 possible places on your right to anchor out. or you could try to make it a long day to Goose Pond.

Then from there, to Wheeler can be broken into 2 days with Ditto Landing in between or just another really long day.

It all depends on your speed and how comfy you are in the dark with radar.

I dont have radar, so I need to be more careful in my planning.

Hope this helps.

How are the new Props working out for you?

I feel good about them. I can get 3100rpms

In Alabama now. Last time I came threw someone brought me some really good chicken an white sauce

Everything seems good as far as mechanical. Knock on wood

Back
Top Bottom