What is this "box" underside near my keel midship ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dune

Vessel Make
Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
About the size of a shoe box except with rounded side and bottom edges...attached to the bottom port side, a few inches from the keel about midship....what might this be....some sort of heat exchanger ?

Engines are 1993 vintage 12V71TA, generators are Onan 20kW..... only other system I can think of it might have something to do with is the water maker...which has never worked anyway. (pump seized I think) But seems to have no intake....just a closed box ! Guesses ?

Does it have a fan at the top and a water line? If yes I would advise you to not touch it and call the SWAT. Like mentionned above it must be another mystery box and based on other assumption it may be very dangerous!

Did you ever read the book Trustee from the Toolroom by Nevil Shute? Central to the plot of the story was a metal box hidden in the keel of a boat containing diamonds.

This may be your lucky day.

When you say " attached to the bottom ", do you mean on the interior or exterior of the hull?

If on the interior of the hull, my guess is it's a transducer.

But a picture would obviously be helpful.

Last edited:
When you say " attached to the bottom ", do you mean on the interior or exterior of the hull?

If on the interior of the hull, my guess is it's a transducer.

But a picture would obviously be helpful.
The bottom is the bottom..outside the hull. And this is a case where a photo would not be helpful....just imagine something as simple as I have described...a rectangular box with rounded edges. Perhaps I need to look closer but I don't even see any brackets that attach it to the bottom so it's beyond me how it is held there. Inside the boat it's position seems to correspond to the pump for the water maker.....but not sure on that yet.

The bottom is the bottom..outside the hull. And this is a case where a photo would not be helpful...

Ya gotta love it when somebody posts a vague question about something he is completely ignorant about, and then chides those trying to help but are asking for more information. :facepalm:

Ya gotta love it when somebody posts a vague question about something he is completely ignorant about, and then chides those trying to help but are asking for more information. :facepalm:
There is nothing vague about my question given the vagueness of the object itself...even the yard where they hauled her doesn't know what it is for. (and this is a major yard, south of Charleston, that has seen hundreds of boats my size before)

And I wasn't "chiding" anyone....if I knew how to post a photo here I would...but I guarantee you it wouldn't do a bit of good to do so, as all you would see is exactly what I describe.....an enclosed rectangular box with black bottom paint on it stuck to the underside of the boat ! No obvious means of attachment, no exterior holes or vents...just a black box.

I am guessing that it must be held by a thru hull fitting on the inside of the hull and then was caulked around the edges and then bottom painted, but the boat is an hour drive away now and I can't just hop over there to look further on a whim....so posted this on the hope that someone would say "Oh yeah, I had one of those years ago as well....it's the ___________ for the _________" ;)

FWIW, it is so close to the keel that I have not seen the "keel side" yet....perhaps on that side there is a screen or intake of some sort.....but no way to take a photo of that area...maybe next time I'm at the facility I can put my hand in there and feel something on that side.

Wish I could remember the brand of the watermaker as a look at it's manual might give a clue...I just remember the watermaker is insanely complicated...and yet I would be completely mystified if I find no intake on the keel side of the mystery box as that would almost certainly rule out watermaker possibilities.

And yet if engine related you would think there would be two of them, one on each side (I have two generators as well, original equipment)

Last edited:
Other than a container to smuggle diamonds in, I'm baffled. I think you need to look inside the boat and see if something comes through the hull. It would be unusual to stick something on the bottom that wasn't streamlined to reduce drag.

A GPS put there by the PO's wife!

Seriously, without a photo or two, you can't expect a serious answer. And if a professional boat yard can't tell you what it is, how can you expect random strangers on the Internet to tell you?

Seriously, without a photo or two, you can't expect a serious answer. And if a professional boat yard can't tell you what it is, how can you expect random strangers on the Internet to tell you?
Well, it's not like I'm desperate to know....just curious mostly....so if no one knows, no big deal....just hoping someone might had had something similar in the past.

You have to trust me on this....a photo is usually worth a thousand words, but in this case it would not make any difference at all...you would just see a black rectangular blob the size of a shoebox with rounded edges. And you would just barely see even that as it was shady that day so in the photos I have you can barely make it out at all...flat black, on flat black....

It would be unusual to stick something on the bottom that wasn't streamlined to reduce drag.
Yeah I wondered about the drag issue as well, especially considering it is not triangular or tapered at the forward end but just a flat surface. Does have rounded corners at least...perhaps the radius of a silver dollar. But on this size boat I guess a shoebox stuck to the bottom makes little difference in drag.

Last edited:
I've heard of boxing the compass but not the keel.

Did you ever read the book Trustee from the Toolroom by Nevil Shute? Central to the plot of the story was a metal box hidden in the keel of a boat containing diamonds.

This may be your lucky day.
LOL...now you've got me excited....but to clarify, it is not "in" the keel but about 4 inches from it.

The obvious question is what's comes out of the box on the inside of the hull?
Yes indeedy..... hard to know without some measuring as to what area it in in exactly on the inside hull....but as previously mentioned my guess is it is about where the pump for the watermaker is...and yet that doesn't necessarily mean the watermaker thru hull is right there under the pump....will have to look see....plus it makes no sense why a water maker would need this box in the first place....

Last edited:
Lotflmao. This was a reaction to "It´s a Mystery Box" Sorry couldn´t help myself+it´s friday.

Last edited:
:angel:Limpet Mines look sort of like what you are describing, did you buy the boat at a Drug confiscation auction.:hide:

Sounds like a transducer.

Attachments

• IMG_1254.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Sounds like a transducer.
Actually that does make the most sense...but it seems huge for that purpose..do they make transducers the size of a shoe box ? Is there anything inside a typical external depth transducer or are they solid metal ?

I think Capt Bill is right. Large 1 kw Transducers can look as you describe. Airmar makes the Chirp in several shapes and sizes including a "shoebox" looking critter

Perhaps, but I would think the people in a boatyard would recognize a transducer.

I think Capt Bill is right. Large 1 kw Transducers can look as you describe. Airmar makes the Chirp in several shapes and sizes including a "shoebox" looking critter
Man, those big ones are expensive. I hope he's right as the previous owner upgraded all the electronics about 4 or 5 years ago, including a new transducer (much smaller and more water dynamic shape). So I could have the yard just remove the thing and plug up the hole in the hull....but I need to be there when they do it in case some diamonds fall out.... :angel:

Could it be some kind of sensor for a stabilizer or a stabilizer than didn't work out?

Could it be some kind of sensor for a stabilizer or a stabilizer than didn't work out?
No......I do have usual Naiad stabilizers, but thinking everthing for those except the fins is inside.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom