Alaska Calls!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The David B charter boat mentioned above was in Ketchikan this summer and it's really in nice shape for taking passengers. Another boat for hire that summers in SE Alaska is the Ursa Major, a big wood Malahide trawler. I think you can reach them at myursamajor.com. There's also the Columbia, which is beautifully restored and around 80'. They cruise between Pt Mcneill on Vancouver Island to Prince Rupert, just south of the AK boundary. Not sure if the go into SE.

The David B has a Washington Estep engine, 3 cylinder, 100 hp - original 1928 I think. This is an amazing engine.

Here's a You Tube video of the start up and running.

Want to thank you all for inputs... Love to read em all. Linda and I will be contacting several recommended opportunities for an Alaska visit next spring [hopefully - it will be next spring due to a close family member's health concerns].

Keep em coming! I've placed this thread for quick availability on my computer.

Cheers!! Art :dance:

Fishermen usually start April 15.
Probably will have several down days re weather leaving that early.

Read Alaska Blues.

Fishermen usually start April 15.
Probably will have several down days re weather leaving that early.

Read Alaska Blues.
One problem. Early start means spring tidal action will flood shores causing much debris in water. There were six boats on the hard at Port Hardy when I stopped. All had prop damage. Might consider running outside. Stop at Barkley Sound, Tofino, Nookssk Sound then on to Queen Charlotte sound crossing. Beautiful places.

One problem. Early start means spring tidal action will flood shores causing much debris in water. There were six boats on the hard at Port Hardy when I stopped. All had prop damage. Might consider running outside. Stop at Barkley Sound, Tofino, Nookssk Sound then on to Queen Charlotte sound crossing. Beautiful places.
A sage old timer once told my dad, a PNW tugboater of vast seafaring experience, "never go outside, when you can go inside". Besides the IP is a fantastic trip not to be missed. Outside is, well outside, and prone to foul weather and few place to hide.

The David B has a Washington Estep engine, 3 cylinder, 100 hp - original 1928 I think. This is an amazing engine.

Here's a You Tube video of the start up and running.

Man that sure does bring back memories of working on my dads tugs in the late 50's thru into the early 70's. He had a bunch of engines like that, both Washington and Atlas. The last one he had was about 2 and half times the size of the one in the vid and still only 220 HP! Huge thing. I well remember having to go down and "oil up". The exhaust sounds better than the engine itself though. Great stuff.

Thanks for the original post, and the information in the replies. Been a lurker, plan to go from Seattle north around May 1, we shall see. No fixed time schedule or fixed route, can take all the time we want. Anybody have any comments about staying or visiting for several weeks at either (or both) Thorne Bay and/or Sitka?

Best to All,
Hodaka
Bayliner 3388 w/ twin 4BT's 150hp

If you have not cruised the west side of Vancouver Island youvcan judge. In my mind its as good as SE Alaska. Far closer and better weather. Lots of protected anchorags and deep inlets to explore. Whales, salmon and halibut are plentiful.

On Thorne Bay, we were in there this summer. Nice people, good docks. It's placement is good, about 40 miles up from Ketchikan. At that point you can head up and around POW island, or cross Clarence Strait and get up to Wrangell. If you stop at Meyers Chuck on the way, get some cinnamon rolls....the best!

I have 49 years of boating in SE Alaska and BC. Thorn Bay is a nice very little community and is a part of the extensive road system of POW. Sitka is larger (9000 souls), the old capital of Russian America, has seven National Monuments and many places to boat along the outside coast with the best sport fishing in SE Aladka.

Oh Art me Irish Bro:

I do hope you have a great trip when you go.

I am sorry I cannot give any tips on where to go.

However, I will give you this tip.

Bear spray! Lots and lots of it!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Cheer mate

H. Foster

Back
Top Bottom