View Single Post
Old 11-24-2016, 05:19 AM   #22
Bay Pelican
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Background, my set up is a 400 US gallon per day DC system (Spectra). When I run it I run it for two to two and a half hours off the batteries, then turn on the generator to finish off three hours of watermaker run time and recharge batteries. The generator is usually on for 45 minutes or an hour.

When I have both good sun and high wind the solar panels and wind generator can supply power to the watermaker.

My comments: Size you watermaker so that three hours or less per day will supply you with the water you need. We have and use a washing machine on board and use a fair amount of water.

Running a generator three hours a day for an AC watermaker is done by many but is not my choice. One and a half hours a day of generator time fills all my needs.

An AC system has the drawback that you are dependent on the generator. A DC system will allow you to operate off the batteries. I have spent a couple of weeks at anchor recharging the batteries using a combination of wind, solar and engine run time and have still used the watermaker. I know of two boats with AC systems that had to leave the anchorage to seek out water when their generator malfunctioned.

I have a Spectra automated system. Wonderful when it is working, but the sensors which control the automated elements of the system are the big weakness. Twice a year I have problems and to date all the problems have been related to the automated elements of the system. Fortunately, I have been able to switch to manual operation while I figured out how to fix the sensor involved. If I had to do it over again I would buy a non-automated 12 volt system.

Be careful where you mount your system. You will need to work on it and thus need to be able to access the system comfortably.

You need two thru-hulls for your watermaker. Conventional wisdom is that these should be dedicated.

If you install a DC system oversize the wires as many of the DC systems are sensitive to voltage drops. Also install a battery switch or breaker in the wiring so that you can shut off all power to the unit cleanly. I initially used a max fuse and found the process for removal of the fuse sent fluctuating power to the watermaker control panel with negative consequences.