Baudouin marine diesel engines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My 30´s woody had a Volvo Penta MD21A - a Peugeot block and, Yes, Inspector Columbo had a great taste in autos :)

Oh ! My uncle's boat had a Volvo Penta Peugeot Diesel INDENOR type, was yours an INDENOR as well ? No idea what INDENOR meant but I remember it ! :)

Oh ! My uncle's boat had a Volvo Penta Peugeot Diesel INDENOR type, was yours an INDENOR as well ? No idea what INDENOR meant but I remember it ! :)

INDENOR = Company owned by Peugeot that was building diesel engines (INDustrielle de l'Est et du NORd)

Was mine an INDENOR? No idea - straight four cyl. 75 HP/Cv (when it was new). Very reliable and a bit noisy - pushed the old 38´3.5 ton wooden hull along at 8-9 kts.

Was mine an INDENOR? No idea - straight four cyl. 75 HP/Cv (when it was new). Very reliable and a bit noisy - pushed the old 38´3.5 ton wooden hull along at 8-9 kts.

Yes Volvo Penta MD21A is/was a Peugeot INDENOR built engine.

Greetings,
Mr. NW. I have it on good authority that Renault named that particular model "Le Car" specifically so the owners would NOT drive their lawnmowers to work...

RT ya got me.
But I think it meant "the car" in French. I really did love that car. It was in the period where emmission control devices on car engines played havoc w drivability. I fought vacume hoses ect for a long time. I made serious efforts on other cars too but was only successful on the Renault That little car ran really great when I got done. And the LeCar had the softest ride of any little car in the world.

Lou Tribal wrote;
"In France the same model is named Renault 5 but I guess the marketing department found the Le Car name a best seller. Not sure though if the one that choose this name still work there
What is funny is that in French "Le Car" means "The bus" which is quite funny considering the size of the Le Car"

Oh OK "the bus". Well for it's size it did hold a lot. Mine was actually a Renault 5. I bought it new and the next year it was called the LeCar. Just a marketing thing and it probably helped a bit. Honda and others were well established in the little car market so ........ Never had a problem w my Renault.

Last edited:
Monsieur RT F

But don't say that to Detroit & Dearborn city workers and state of Michigan workers ! One of the major US car manufacturers and suppliers to the industry are bating their eyelashes to seduce Peugeot to build (under joint venture, partial production license etc... yet nothing is decided) this Peugeot SUV which some can be seen on highways there with 'Manufacturer' Michigan licence plate.

Très intéressant!

Many interesting things have emerged from this thread. My experience has been that we American boaters tend to favor U.S.-made engines. Everyone's loyalties grow and develop with experience, and that seems particularly true for mariners. We trust the equipment and practices that we know work, and are leery of innovation.

I wonder how the rest of the world views the "big" American nameplates, like Cat and Cummins, to which so many commercial operators in this country are devoted (though not every model). That view, seemingly established along the working waterfront, is what made me do a double take when I read the news about Baudouin plants going into the NYC ferry fleet.

Probably took the low bid.

Très intéressant!

Many interesting things have emerged from this thread. My experience has been that we American boaters tend to favor U.S.-made engines. Everyone's loyalties grow and develop with experience, and that seems particularly true for mariners. We trust the equipment and practices that we know work, and are leery of innovation.

I wonder how the rest of the world views the "big" American nameplates, like Cat and Cummins, to which so many commercial operators in this country are devoted (though not every model). That view, seemingly established along the working waterfront, is what made me do a double take when I read the news about Baudouin plants going into the NYC ferry fleet.

Lot of us builder use MAN MTU Yamaha ....

The more funny is Jhon Deree, Nanni Diesel make marine engine from Jhon Deree engine base and Jhon Deree dealer are not to happy because Nanni Diesel apparently make better 'marinisation" from Jhon Deree him self.

Any way for me from all brand some series are good and some not but some build make better from other one.

German are strong, problem now the all electronic on engine some use hight quality some really cheap like Volvo.

I really don't like the way Volvo toke :banghead:

So, you were the man I saw on television driving a Peugeot convertible car ? I can see your Grand Banks Europa in the top right of the pic # 1 ! :D
Instantly recognizable as a Peugeot 403 convertible.
Renault build big trucks, and very likely their own big diesels.
Peugeot cut a swathe through the usual brands when they came to Australia many years ago, beating Ford,GM etc in several round Australia reliability trials for production cars, and have been here, initially as an assembler/builder and later a pure importer, ever since. Renault came the same time, have come and gone, are currently here and doing ok. I competed in one trial under Renault Car Club banner, but not in a Renault.:nonono:. We saw a lot of body welding repairs done on some Renault competitors during the event.
If you want to gauge Peugeot longevity look at pics out of war torn Arabic areas, you`ll see 404s, 505s, etc, 40-50 years old still in use. It took a while for me to be ready(old enough?) to own one, I`m on my second, it`s a turbo diesel, I like it, and I`ve had some cars I loathed, Jaguars for example.
Peugeot also make some very good salt and pepper grinders. And bicycles.:) An interesting company.

Instantly recognizable as a Peugeot 403 convertible.
Renault build big trucks, and very likely their own big diesels.
Peugeot cut a swathe through the usual brands when they came to Australia many years ago, beating Ford,GM etc in several round Australia reliability trials for production cars, and have been here, initially as an assembler/builder and later a pure importer, ever since. Renault came the same time, have come and gone, are currently here and doing ok. I competed in one trial under Renault Car Club banner, but not in a Renault.:nonono:. We saw a lot of body welding repairs done on some Renault competitors during the event.
If you want to gauge Peugeot longevity look at pics out of war torn Arabic areas, you`ll see 404s, 505s, etc, 40-50 years old still in use. It took a while for me to be ready(old enough?) to own one, I`m on my second, it`s a turbo diesel, I like it, and I`ve had some cars I loathed, Jaguars for example.
Peugeot also make some very good salt and pepper grinders. And bicycles.:) An interesting company.

well Peugeot born in 1810 and first build pepper grinder (we call moulin a poivre in French) and in 1891 build the first car.

in French the nickname for motor is "moulin" because Peugeot was building grinder before motor :D

Peugeot are also making tools and small size motorcycle.
The 404 is simply a legend, it is almost indestructible.
A small french constructor named Dangel took the 404 to create an utility 4x4 pickup and it was incredible and you can still see some running in France.

Peugeot are also making tools and small size motorcycle.
The 404 is simply a legend, it is almost indestructible.
A small french constructor named Dangel took the 404 to create an utility 4x4 pickup and it was incredible and you can still see some running in France.

30 years ago I had a 203 Peugeot from 1955 it was the most American spirit from the French car :thumb:
Wondrefull car

Yes, they make very nice Motos or scooters plus don´t forget about their BIKES-excellent!

30 years ago I had a 203 Peugeot from 1955 it was the most American spirit from the French car :thumb:
Wondrefull car

When I was at university a guy had one 203 and was renovating it, it is a really nice car, I loved to see it!

Probably took the low bid.

with out a doubt that's what they did.

the one universal truth i have learned being in the industry is every ones stuff breaks. its just a matter of time. the key difference between mfg is the level of service and support you get from the dealer and the factory when it does break.

Back
Top Bottom