Rant about boat buyers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garrobito

Vessel Name
Arcangel
Vessel Make
Buewater 40
I posted on CL a sailboat on behalf an old friend. He have some health problem and ask me the favor to sell his beloved sailboat.
After 24 hs, email flooded my computer.
Basically, 2 types:
1) Classic guy "out the country but in love with your boat" who offer send me a check. Close variation, guy on the services at Irak/Corea/China/Russia, unreachable, but his father can send me a check bla, bla, bla.... Nasty scam.

2) The worst... the guy who don't even want to see the boat... his email have just one single line with something like "what is your bottom price??'. If you tried to ilustrate him about the goodies onboard, the impecable boston condition, whatever, the single line keep coming to me.. 'last/bottom price".. and if you send a very low price, they're gonna counteroffer even 20 or 30% less...

And, finally, few timid answer about would like to see the boats...

Sell a boat on winter at north california is a challenge.. but I feel if you're searching for a bargain boat or a super duper mega yachts.. please.. do not send an email asking for your bottom price, even before check the boat.. it's rude.. and (at least for me) the most direct way to send your email to the dumpster...:D:D:D:D:D

I would LOVE to see the CL ad you posted! :)

When I did this I got a ton of e-mails from people wanting to "broker" the boat for me - and take their 10% brokerage fee - even though I suspect they didn't even have an office.

I think the scam is that they just post it on a bunch of free web sites and hope to cash in. They have nothing to lose and 10% of the sale price of a boat to gain.

Pictures are deceiving. It probably doesn't look that good in person.

What model is the electric wench? and bottom line price?

I have sold plenty via craigslist, and I enjoy and appreciate using it. Since it's basically free, I am willing to deal with some of the nonsense that is described (and commonly experienced) by garrobito.

I like to put a few qualifiers in my craigslist ad, commonly:

- I do not need or desire any help selling.
- I am not interested in trades at this time, thanks.
- Please send me your contact information and desired contact time via CL reply.

The rest of the screening/qualifying can be done by phone.

I find the most useful craigslist ads have mostly facts vs. opinion, such as "engine has xxx hours, was serviced on date xxxx by XYZ marine, and rebuilt on date xxxx" versus, "The engine is perfect". The facts will tell the story and lead to fewer disappointments for the buyer AND seller. Finally, you can't have too many detailed photos. Take photos of the good, bad, and ugly. Transparency is king.

Good Luck with the sale!

Jeff

Interesting part is "dock is upwind." Doesn't the wind direction change there?

Seems pretty obvious what they are . . . unless I have nothing better to do than make fun of people's English writing skills.

Weeding through the scammers and not so interested doesn't take too much time. I just recently sold some high end bikes on CL. Not five minutes after posting the ad the buyer saw it and contacted me. Came and looked, was very pleased with his purchase left with both and I had cash in my hand.

Dealing with craigslist is a PITA. People on craigslist are looking for "cheap", not quality. Or they are looking to rob people or cause them harm.

Unless the boat is a POS, you should be presenting it to a higher class of potential buyers.

I don`t find the OP`s advt so hard to understand and wish him a good result, especially as he is helping an old friend in poor health.
A concern is the risk you draw a really smart scammer. Delivery should only come after cleared payment.

Sold a bunch of furniture and a wide variety of things from four houses in the last decsde on CL.

Just sold a bunch of boating equipment too.

Even bought my boat from a CL ad.

Like many things in life....it takes weeding through...just like advice here. Never had any problems with buyers....except trying to meet up with a few that weren't from my area.

My last sale was a raw water strainer to a nice fellow up in Michigan who was thrilled to find an inexpensive replacement.....

Last edited:
I like CL but when I post an ad, I just put on a list of things not to do and I list a few of the more obvious scams and tell them not to bother, seen it already. My personal fav is "I am out of town at the moment but my dad/brother/cousin has been looking all over for one of these". "Please tell me where to send cash by wire or personal check on the way, meet my dad at such and such place", and on and on. Losers. CL is also where I first saw my boat.

And you have been complaining about all the work you had to put into it ad infinitum.

Ok well it was going to a broker the next week....probably still would have bought it.

So what is your point?

Sure million dollar boats probably aren't on CL.....but buyable things,.... by good buyers and sellers are.

Just like junk can be bought from ebay, brokers, individual sales, charity orgs, salvage sales, auctions, etc....

My point was CL is no better or worse....just a different tool....

Last edited:
If the ad smitty posted is the boat in question, you're not really selling a boat. . .you're selling a liveaboard slip in California that happens to come with a nice boat. I'd treat it like you were selling property.

That being said, I can kind of see where someone might not fully understand the included slip and want to know what your real price is. First time I read it, I missed the last line "Owner selling slip and boat due to health reasons, but can wait till Spring, when prices will rise.". I saw what the boat was, the price :eek: , read about the boat and skimmed over the marina portion. First thought was the price is a typo.

I'd list the fact the slip is being sold and highlight it in the first line.

just my 2 cents, remember what you paid for it :lol:

I'm not sure the price is $80,000.00 or $8,000.00 . I hate when posters don't use punctuation.

At $80,000.00 give it to a broker. Too much hassle on your own. At $8,000.00 put it on craigs list, Serious buyers only and just include your phone number. Trust me, only serious buyers will actually call. Once the sale is made you can block any number you wish.

Craigslist casts a wide net and you definitely have to sort through scammers and low ballers. I don't begin to take potential buyers serious until I talk to them on the phone. The downside of providing your phone number is getting all sorts of telemarketers because the site is mined for phone numbers, it can be avoided by having them contact you via the craigslist email first and then providing your number if his or her email message seems legitimate. If I sold a lot on craigslist, I would get a dedicated prepaid phone for just that purpose, I believe some serious buyer prefer to make first contact via phone.

Overall, I have had good luck with it. A couple weeks ago I snagged a free one design dinghy off craigslist including a trailer (trailer even had a title). When I bought my wife's car off of craigslist, I met the seller at my local MVA where there are always plenty of police around. After I decided to buy it, we drove together to my bank and so he could watch me get a cashier's check. It was a smooth transaction.

To play devil’s advocate and take a counter-point… Not every seemingly “low ball” offer a seller gets by e-mail is necessarily a bottom-feeder. Some may be legitimate feelers from genuine potential buyers trying to determine if a seller is realistic or not, and if it’s worth their time to pursue a boat.

I’ve bought and sold 13 boats over 46 years, and am now in the market for #14 (I’ve also bought and sold many things on craigslist, though never a boat). As I’ve gotten older, and my remaining time here becoming depressingly short, I’ve become much more careful with how I spend the time I have left. I’m less patient and less inclined to waste precious time on propositions that have little chance of coming to fruition – such as, with unrealistic sellers.

We all know it: there is often a significant difference between what a seller thinks their boat is worth, and what the market of buyers is willing to pay for it. I’ve been there myself, on pretty much every boat I’ve ever sold. We get emotional about our boats. Most of us suffer from the thoughts of “but I have $ xxx in the boat, it’s GOT to be worth AT LEAST that much!”. It’s human nature. But, what someone puts *into* a boat does not usually equate to what one can realistically expect to get *out* of it.

As sellers, we often think that our particular boat is ‘unique’, or the ‘best one on the market’. I’ve had those thoughts myself, and many other equally unrealistic ones. As sellers, we also like to think that a potential buyer is interested only in our boat, and is lucky to have the opportunity to bid on it. The reality is, as buyers, we all know we cross-shop and look at many boats. It’s rare that a particular boat is so unique that it’s really a once-in-a-lifetime deal. The market is the market: something is worth only what someone else is willing to pay for it.

When we’re on the buying side, how often have we heard sellers say something along the lines of “I’m waiting for the right buyer to come along” – which really means, ‘I’m hoping someone will either be naïve enough, or sufficiently blinded by love, that they will pay way more than the boat is worth, and bail me out of how much I’ve got in it’? Of course, it MIGHT happen – and a blue unicorn covered with pink stars that grants all wishes might come along too.

When I was younger, and thought I had all the time in the world, I wouldn’t mind spending a lot of time with a boat and ‘negotiating’ with a seller. After a business career spent ‘negotiating’, and being at the age where I have far less time left that I have already lived, I just don’t have patience for that anymore.

I’m a dead serious buyer. I’ve always paid cash for any boat I’ve bought. If I wasn’t ‘serious’ about a boat, I wouldn’t be wasting my time and asking about it in the first place. When I see a boat I’m interested in, but the price seems high for the market, these days one of the first things I’ll do is ask the broker or owner either how much they’re really looking to get, or ask if they would consider an offer somewhere in the range of around $ xxx, plus or minus, pending inspection and survey. Given that we live in a ‘digital’ age, I often communicate by e-mail.

I do this to weed out the unrealistic sellers. If someone is really waiting for the mythical ‘right buyer’, and won’t consider an offer unless it is ridiculously over market, then I don’t want to waste several of the diminishing number of days I have left on a deal that will never happen. Despite my shrinking days left, I’m not in a financial position to over-pay just to buy something quickly. I never look to ‘low-ball’ sellers with ridiculous offers that are unfairly below market, but intimate what my research (often with input from brokers) suggests is what I believe to be a fair market range for a boat and what I’m able to pay. If a seller is open to talking in that ballpark, great, then I’m willing to invest the several days of time it usually takes to travel to and inspect a boat, and the thousands of dollars it will cost for travel and survey.

This has saved me a lot of time. Maybe I might have also lost out on the chance to buy some boats, but, the most precious thing any of us have is time. It’s the one thing no one can *ever* get more of, no matter how much money someone might have. I’ve spent (wasted…) so much time in my life looking at boats that the owner was just not going to sell at anything approaching a realistic price. At this point in my advancing age, my remaining time is more important to me than any individual boat.

One example… 6 years ago, I looked at a boat that was priced at $399k. I traveled a long distance, went to see it twice, spent money on the travels, and had a number of conversations with the broker. I liked the boat, but my research (based on what other models sold for, high $200’s to low $300’s) suggested that a fair market price was something in the low $300’s. The absolute most I was willing to pay was $325k, and I offered that. The broker indignantly huffed and said the seller was insulted by my offer, and he didn’t know if even $375k would buy the boat. After more conversations, I walked away, and bought something else.

Fast forward 6 years. That exact same boat is STILL on the market, same seller, and has been the whole time. It’s now listed in the mid-$200’s, with ‘offers welcome’. If it sells for $250k, that’s not only $75k less than I offered 6 years ago, but the owner also probably spent another $75k over the past 6 years in maintenance, insurance, dockage, repairs, etc.

If I had inquired about pricing up front, I would have seen that a deal was not going to happen, and I could have saved a lot of time (and money) that was wasted.

Having been a seller of a boat 13 times, I know how painful it is to be faced with the realities of the ‘market’, and to hear a buyer tell me that my boat is worth less than I’m *convinced* it is. No one likes to hear that. It’s like being told your baby is ugly. But, if you’re selling a boat, the next time you get an inquiry suggesting less than you think it’s worth, you might not want to dismiss it out of hand. It shouldn’t be hard to tell if it’s a low-baller offering 1/3 *of* your asking price, or a legitimate buyer suggesting that maybe the boat is worth 1/3 *less* than the asking price.

As a seller, I’ve learned the hard way that sometimes, the first offer you get is the best offer. Sometimes, it’s the only offer.

Just my 2 cents worth (and probably worth less than that).

Last edited:
Ok well it was going to a broker the next week....probably still would have bought it.

So what is your point?

Sure million dollar boats probably aren't on CL.....but buyable things,.... by good buyers and sellers are.

Just like junk can be bought from ebay, brokers, individual sales, charity orgs, salvage sales, auctions, etc....

My point was CL is no better or worse....just a different tool....

Very True!

I've bought and sold many items on CL. Boats, Cars, Trucks, Tools, Motors, Furniture... etc... Be truthful when selling and smart when buying - same as in any sales deal done via any manner available. I also have construction add and building tool sales add that runs consistently and for free! These ads sometimes bring in good clients.

What ever you do one must separate the wheat from the chaff.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom