Need rudder help with '78 Marine Trader 44

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wonderfulwade

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
LAZY LIBRA
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 44
She has chain and shaft steering. Dual engine. What type of bearings, How do they come out? How do you remove the packing gland flange? Thanks.

img_497973_0_d14b710226f121783ba980bbe0e8ea09.jpg

I will get better pics of the unit disassembled tomorrow

Greetings,
Mr. ww. Not sure about the answer to your questions BUT before you start disassembly MARK/IDENTIFY all your pieces (with a center punch, file grooves/marks or an engraver-ie: permanent marks) and take pictures of these marks so there will be NO question how to re-assemble. Don't ask how I know...

Surprised to see such "old school" steering in a '78 boat! My '78 CHB is hydraulic.

All Marine Traders are different but your steering system looks similar to mine. The bearings for the shaft along the starboard side are mounted in pillow blocks every 10 foot or so. Unless there are little doors for access, you will have to remove some interior to get to them.

Be sure to take a lot of detailed and well lit photos of the rudder shaft and steering gear. There is a specific order to the collars, washers and stuff to get everything lined up plumb for the cables to pull straight.

Check for any under slung wooden blocks bolted to the underside of the deck. Water has a habit of rotting the wood or rusting the bolts leaving the bearing to it's own devices.

She has chain and shaft steering. Dual engine. What type of bearings, How do they come out? How do you remove the packing gland flange? Thanks.

Why do you need to be so radical..? My 1975 CHB has the same set-up, only the quadrant is somewhat more rusty, but the bearings are basically bullet proof, and I think mine are the original. They have grease nipples, but I confess to being a little casual re greasing them, but the system is so simple, (their claim to fame actually), they virtually last forever. The rudder had to come out once to replace the lower rudder post bearing, but not the rod bearings. Remember the old adage, "if it ain't broke..."
Heaven knows, there's enough stuff always that has to be done, without doing stuff that doesn't... :nonono:

Last edited:
The port side had caulking on the outside and leaked terribly.............while I'm in long term dry-dock I am fixing everything. I believe I've got it figured out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom