RePack or Dripless Shaft Seals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends on the cost. I suspect it would be less expensive to have a pro do it in the water than to have the boat hauled, but you should get prices for each and then decide.

No one would come to the boat, so I pulled the boat and replaced it. Easy job. It was my annual maintenance haul out anyway so no worries

If the adjustment is just about bottomed out, why not just add another ring and snug back up? Approximately 70% of the sealing comes from the two rings closest to the gland follower anyways. The bottom rings are more or less spacers as they see very little compression.

Use a square braided yarn made of GFO or ePTFE.

This is the way I do it and have for years. Just pre-cut your packing rings and stagger the the cut points so no two line up. I am not a fan of drip-less packing glands. If you have a drip-less packing gland and it starts to leak, you are SOL. If your old packing leaks, just tighten it so you get just a few drips per minute through the gland. The drips help keep your packing lubed and cool as you use it. Remember some times the old ways are the best ways. HTH JD

Using GFO is the best, most durable, worry free, cheapest and easiest solution.
Keeps your original hardware, and can pack it without hauling the hull, and don't need to have water injection or mechanics install, time and labor add up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom