View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #13
Toolbuddie

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Boatguy. Alright I see where you are coming from now. If you are repeatedly having the problem of burned connections this is suggesting that you persistently have an overcurrent situation. Are you having this on one cord or does the problem show up on both cords? You may want to start with everything de-energized and start checking and or disassembling each connection and either clean and abraid (small wire brush to clean) the conductors or if you have some slack. Cut off the end and strip to get fresh wire into the connection. Also check the bus connections in your panel. Yes this condition would be troubling to anyone to see. This would be my suggestion. Then take current measurements at the closest point to the plug mounted in the boat. Turn things on and note the rise in current and evaluate if it is the amount one could reasonably expect to see. Clamp on Amp meter would be the tool of choice for this. Borrow a good quality one with at minimum one amp sensitivity. It should measure down to 1/10 th of an amp ideally. This not a requirement but if you can get the use of a good one you will KNOW what you are measuring. I find that a loose connection somewhere drives up the current most often in the boats I have had hands on. Good luck I think you can find the culprit if you make a methodical exploration. As always, Safety first and cheers.
Dave
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote