Kudos to Popeye's - bought an anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Gray Hawk
Vessel Make
Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
Ignoring all advice to stay on the west side of the Strait of Georgia we crossed over to Vancouver with our friends onboard yesterday and tied up at Burrard Yacht Club.* Then we immediately hoofed it up to Popeye's and spent a wonderful hour poking around.* We ended up coming home with (among other treasures) a #9 Sarca galvanized anchor that looks like it has never even been wet.* I'm not sure what the story on it was but for $180 I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it and once Doug agreed to carry his side of it back to the boat Ialmost ran to the counter with it.*

We spent most of today on Granville Island and the wind forecast looks promising for getting back to the west side of the strait tomorrow.* Not meaning to start any flame wars but I really wanted to stick to my principles and not buy a Rocna.

Bob,

I thought I'd seen them in the PNW before and I seem to recall it being in the 80s. I'm sure SARCAs were sold here 20 or so years ago. You lucky dog. Sure wish we had a Popeye store up here but there's a great deal we don't have up here. Congratulations Bob.

nomadwilly wrote:
Bob,

I thought I'd seen them in the PNW before and I seem to recall it being in the 80s. I'm sure SARCAs were sold here 20 or so years ago. You lucky dog. Sure wish we had a Popeye store up here but there's a great deal we don't have up here. Congratulations Bob.

Sorry, not possible it was a Sarca 20 yrs ago Eric, they were only developed in the late 90s.

However, Bob has been lucky to score one over there, and if it is a no 9, then its very big & heavy, so he'll never drag, as mine is a no 6 and is 22kg (x2.2 for pounds), and that's one size higher than*strictly*needed for a 34 ft boat.

Is it that large Bob?

I hate Popeye's.
Every time I take something in to put on consignment I walk out an hour later with more than I arrived with...great store, with a terrible website.

It was advertised as a #9 but I can't see anything stamped on it to confirm that.* Its moderately heavy - I'd say 75 or 80 pounds at a minimum*and it is pretty substantial.* I need to do a bit of work on the bow pulpit to make it stow properly but I think when I'm all done I can have both it and my big shiny CQR up there together.* We used it briefly up at Ladysmith while our prawn traps did their thing but it wasn't much of a test.

Ok, well it might be a # 9, my #6 weighs 22kg = ~50lbs. If so it will be a great anchor, and I can promise you that was a real 'find', as I gather they are still extremely hard to get over in the US. I assume it's a Super Sarca like mine, as I don't think the Excel has been out long enough...?

Back
Top Bottom