• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

For Sale: 1986 30' Scout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darin

I am offering my 1986 30' Scout trawler for sale. The boat was built in Midland, Ontario Canada. The first hulls were built by Fairchild Yachts in California. It is powered by a Volvo series 2003T 46HP turbo diesel. A 2012 custom built aluminum trailer is available at extra cost. Asking $39,900. Please contact Greg Jackson at 864-923-2817 cell for details. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1986 30' scout 005.jpg
    1986 30' scout 005.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,470
  • 1986 30' scout 006.jpg
    1986 30' scout 006.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 632
  • 1986 30' scout 007.jpg
    1986 30' scout 007.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 716
  • 1986 30' scout 008.jpg
    1986 30' scout 008.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 545
  • 1986 30' scout 009.jpg
    1986 30' scout 009.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 740
  • 86 scout 001.jpg
    86 scout 001.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 519
  • 86 scout 002.jpg
    86 scout 002.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 412
  • 86 scout 005.jpg
    86 scout 005.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 418
  • 86 scout 010.jpg
    86 scout 010.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 497
  • 86 scout 017.jpg
    86 scout 017.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 506
Still got your Scout?

That's a great boat. If I didn't have too dam many already, well . . . . . . .

Looks like and Elco.I would love to have it,if I hadn't already planned my build.

I've already got a Scout but I am interested in the trailer. I've had the Scout for 12 years & really love the boat.

Carl whats the name of your boat i kinda made it a hobbie to keep track of the scouts.

The name of our Scout is Olive Oyl. Our Bauer 10 sailing dinghy is called Swee' Pea.

Thanks! Why the interest in Scouts? Do you own one?

Carl i have love old trumpy and elco's since i was a kid so when i saw the first scout in mystic conn.i set out to find one for sale and found a great one in louisiana but it was sold before i could get there.so i kina keep track of what and where they are for the future.we have decided to sell all our places and do the live aboard thing so we are looking at a much larger trawler but if this doesn't work out i want to find myself a scout adn truth be told i still would like to have one. Carl would love to see more photos of olive oyl i sure would enjoy seeing them. Thanks

The pics of Slo-n-ezy could be pics of my boat other than my bow sprit & swim platform. The Scout is a little small for a live aboard although I've seen people live aboard sail boats with less room. If I was going to jump up to a larger trawler with similar classic lines & a displacement hull I'd be looking for a Pilgrim or a Lord Nelson. Ofcourse if you go to wood the possibilities for beautiful boats are endless.

A new friend at the time allowed me to check out his lord nelson adn we took her out for a short trip. The boat is beautiful adn very cool that all the original wood for each boat comes from one teak log, i am a wood guy. The problem i had with it was engine room access and the forward cabin was tight and not great ventilation. The pilgrim i have never been on. I was very interested in a elco i was on but don't have a open ended checkbook and we could not get any kind of answer on some hull work adn i am not a ship wright still love the boat and the price keeps going down but i think i need to stay with a plastic boat for ease of maint. Thanks!

I have a Scout 30 just like yours but with a full mahogany enclosure. Would you be interested in selling your trailer? If not can you tell me where you got yours and what you paid for it?

Captain gary sure would love to see some photos of your scout, you don't see many with the full enclosure.

Looks good Gary. I wish we had a website for Scouts. Do you have a generator for your airconditioner?

No it was originally made with a central air unit in it that ran off of shore power but one of the previous owners took it out and installed the roof top. I wish it had a small generator and the central air back in it. I have pretty much completed going over the inside and all the fiberglass. Then I need to redo the exterior but its all mahogany and there is no rot anywhere. I have to replace the head which I think I am going to install an electric one and I need to have the transmission rebuilt then she will be ready to take on the Great American Loop. That is on the top of my bucket list for retirement. I hope to leave May 1st 2014.

Sounds great. I think the Scout is a great boat for the loop & that's our goal also. A guy named Ken Bassett called ma last year. I had conversed with him on the T&T forum about 5 years ago & he was looking for a Scout back then. He bought one up north on Lake Michigan I think & brought it down the Mississippi & then over to Florida. He came by to see my boat & said he was taking it up to Vermont. He shoould have it up there by now. Not exactly the great loop but pretty close. He said he got into some really rough water but the Scout handled it great.

Thanks for the great photo the scout are few and far between but the inclosed cockpits are rare

Evergreen

Mine is not for sale at this time. I am still doing work on her getting her ready to do the Loop. Then I might sell her but that will be a few years. FYI she is at my home at Smith Mountain Lake, VA

Hello Carl.. Just now joining forum. After 4k miles from MI, PAHOO & I did make it back to Vermont intact and very impressed with the boat in every way, although I could have used some screening as I motored through Georgia and the 'Greenheads'... dumb flyers, but nasty biters! I always hope for a Scout website as well. I'm currently deep into the engine space, my 2003T is being rebuilt after a catastrophic failure (connecting rod bearing failed, and that failure eventually destroyed the crankshaft, too). Luckily I was still on jackstands the day before launching this year, and not in some far away place with deteriorating weather! Thx again for visiting with me.

Great to hear from you. I hope you tooks lots of pics you can post on your website (that I hope you create). We've gotten back into working on the boat after rebuilding the dock. Interesting that you are rebuilding instead of going new. How much is it costing to rebuild the Volvo?

The Volvo 2003T suits the boat very well, and after 800hrs of my use, I'm fairly confident with it (recent failure excluded). Total engine hours ~1600, including several years of neglect prior to my ownership.

I could have purchased a 'zero-hour warranteed' rebuilt 2003T for $10.5k, but I chose to have my own rebuilt by a Volvo shop to 'zero hour warranteed' condition for $8.3k. I did consider a 43hp Beta for $14k, but that amt would not include a completely new installation: motor mounts, instrumentation, wiring, plumbing, fuel, exhaust, shafting, coupling, and new prop... all of which would add (IMHO) several more $k.

Since I am doing the reinstallation, and general upgrades within the engine space myself (elec, fuel system, tankage, etcetc), saving $$ for future trips is paramount.

Wow another scout to all to my list. Smedley-on-the-nile is pahoo the name she has always carried? You know i have been out of the engine building loop for a long time because when i heard the rebuild price i almost fell over but at the same time well worth it. Hope we get to see more photos.

.... is pahoo the name she has always carried?

PAHOO is hull #19. When documented in mid 90's, her name was LOLLIPOP, then became AMBROSE LIGHT, then in '07, C.P.RAY, then PAHOO in 2009. I haven't researched her earlier names/owners.

Peapod.. I know of several other boats and owners, and would be happy to share offline. I hope to get some kind of Scout database together this winter. I think all Scout owners would certainly appreciate your contribution. Ken

Wow. What a journey. I'm not really a fan of turbos in boats but I do have to agree that the little 3 cylinder Volvo does work very well with this boat. Glad it got you home before it gave up. It looks like you average about 5 miles an hour. Did you keep track of how much fuel you used?

It looks like you average about 5 miles an hour. Did you keep track of how much fuel you used?

A quick scan of my log shows I was underway from MI to VT a total of 652hrs (including warm-ups, waiting for lock & bridge openings, choosing anchorages, etcetc. I took on 525gal, which figures to .81gph. At my normal cruising speed of 7.2kn @ 2500rpm (8.5mph), I have figured consumption to be .89gph. This may sound fantastical, but this is also a reason that I chose to rebuild the original 2003T.

Total statute miles ~4021. 525gal 7.65mpg
Total hours ~652hrs 525gal .81gph
Steady cruising 8.5mph .89gph 9.55mpg YMMV..

From MI to VT, from Oct '09 to June '11, prices ranged from $2.64 in Mobile, to $4.65 near Albany, averaging ~$3.33/gal. Prices were markedly higher coming up the Atlantic ICW during a very hot early Summer of '11 (ave $4/gal). I used 250gal between Stuart, FL and Burlington, VT. Yes, it was nearly the same amt that I used getting from Chicago to Stuart.. but I was riding several floods in Nov '09, downstream on the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers, and with 32" draft, hugged the inside riverbends to avoid the currents when going upstream on the Ohio and Tenn Rivers.

All this just verifies the Scout's legendary fuel economy, as many owners already attest.

Scout factoid (possibly related): The Scout 30 has a longer waterline than a Silverton 35 (they include the generous swim platform and molded bowroller, although the stem is deeply cut away; power can be twin 454's). A Silverton 35 owner was visibly shaken when we took on fuel, having traveled together for several days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom