Hard or Ablative?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nomad Willy;496974 Is that Petit Barnacle Buster on the prop? Didn't work for me. I went back to ArmorAll.[/QUOTE said:
Willy,
Talk to me about the armor all coating? I never heard of that!
I tried Woody Wax for a couple of years, and although it didn't do anything to prevent growth on the metals, it sure made scraping off barnacles easy.
I am currently using lanolin grease, had it on for almost a year in warm water, also does not prevent growth, but makes cleaning easier.
Does not last on the prop.

If you choose ablative, as I do, the running gear needs to be done in hard. At least that`s my experience, the ablative on the running gear was ineffective, too easily "ablated".

What should I use on my sail/rowing Trinka dinghy? It's fiberglass and has never had bottom painted .We are in fresh water . The dinghy will be hanging on davits most of the time . It might sit in the water at the most a month in the slip with William . I have already sanded the bottom and plan on an epoxy barrier coat but not sure what to put on top of that .

The PO put Petit Trinidad on, February 2013. We are FW moored and spend about 3 months in SW June-September. No fouling except a layer of slime which is power washed off on the lowest possible setting. We have not yet repainted the bottom. No fouling on the propeller either. The main fouling culprits in the PNW are barnacles, which settle March-May.

[emoji106]
Petit Trinidad which is a hard paint and lasts three years in Florida warm waters.

What should I use on my sail/rowing Trinka dinghy? It's fiberglass and has never had bottom painted .We are in fresh water . The dinghy will be hanging on davits most of the time . It might sit in the water at the most a month in the slip with William . I have already sanded the bottom and plan on an epoxy barrier coat but not sure what to put on top of that .

Fresh water varies considerably from lake to lake or river to river. I would talk to the yard there and other local boaters and get their recommendation.

I grew up on small boats on fresh water and very few people used anti-fouling paint. I didn't even know about it when young. The chemical content on our lake was horrible, far worse than where you are, and even getting the bottom cleaned 4 times a year required the use of acid. Finally, one day I read about bottom paint and had it put on my next boat. Oh, if I had only known sooner.

What should I use on my sail/rowing Trinka dinghy? It's fiberglass and has never had bottom painted .We are in fresh water . The dinghy will be hanging on davits most of the time .

You will need to use an ablative, as hard paints cannot withstand prolonged exposure to air.

Dont worry about bumps

I have to say, Great Responses from All, and it was what I was hoping to hear to help with my decision. The part about THE HARD paint building up and creating a problem in itself - and a need to sand or blast it off(over time), I hear in my wallet. One of the responses begs the question regarding the Painting of the Prop. Our Surveyor recommended NOT painting the props - keep em clean for preformance' sake. However I was told the Prop would be the first place the barnacles will attach. If we are moving pretty regularly on The Loop, that may not be a real issure for a year - especially after we make it to the Great Lakes.

Side Note: One of the things that tends to haunt me, is Bumping the Bottom on shifting shoals etc.....as we make it up the East Coast. Being the Positive Thinker(LOL), that I am, having to have the boat Hauled Out for a repair, will be my occasion to Clean the Props.

Thanks to All,
KIM

I find ablative on my ocean Alexander 456 to be ideal. I also used it on my 43-foot sailboat. Now, when the bottom gets very fouled i take her or for a short spin above 10 knots usually a few minutes at 15 or so, and it cleans things up.

Concerning ICW bumps. Make sure top use active captain and follow All the warnings. Never had a problem, even in my sail boat. In particular, pay attention top the postings by Bob423. He is always spot on.

Taking off years of hard paint can be a chore and expensive. I opt for ablative because it is so quick. Little bottom prep required. The bottom only needs to be clean. I have used West Marine PCA gold ablative with good results. Typically count on two years, but I paint the boat in between if I need to haul for some reason. I can slap on a coat of paint in a day. Two coats on a day and a half.

Gordon

I'm with Brooksie on Seahawk ablative. I get 2 years from it, pressure wash, and apply the next iteration. I use Prop Speed on the underwater hardware and get at least 2 years with that as well. I think P S will go 3 years, at least in our cold water.

Back
Top Bottom