Standard Horizon Remote Mike Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger Long

Vessel Name
Gypsy Star
Vessel Make
Gulf Star 43
We went to West Marine yesterday to replace the old Standard Horizon VHF that came with our boat since it won't scan without immediately locking on 70 and does not receive 22A. We discovered that the CMP23W remote mike we use on the flybridge is not compatible with any new radio and they did not have any remote mikes in the store.

The question, which neither they nor some Googling could answer, is whether the connectors and cable for the CPM23W are the same as for the CMP30W or Ram3 mikes. If we have to run a new cable, it's going to be a lot easier to just install a second radio and antenna but I do like the remote mike setup with a handheld as backup.

Greetings,
Mr. RL. Can't help you at all. Sorry, but welcome to the world of "new and improved". I don't know if it's built in obsolescence, cost cutting using cheaper components or proprietary arrogance.

Roger,

When we changed boats, I worked with the US customer support folks at Standard Horizon. I needed them to reprogram the MMSI in a SH handheld. I found them very helpful, and their was no charge for the service. Perhaps you could discuss your situation with them and ask for a recommendation.

Their contact information is here:

Welcome to StandardHorizon.com

Good Luck

Jeff

Roger,

When we changed boats, I worked with the US customer support folks at Standard Horizon. I needed them to reprogram the MMSI in a SH handheld. I found them very helpful, and their was no charge for the service. Perhaps you could discuss your situation with them and ask for a recommendation.

Their contact information is here:

Welcome to StandardHorizon.com

Good Luck

Jeff

I agree. Standard Horizon has some of the best customer service in the industry.

I installed a new Standard Horizon radio this past year. My old VHF had a remote mic and the cords were or are not the same as the new one. So I pulled the old wire and ran the new one. I also installed a remote speaker at the upper helm. I am somewhat hard of hearing and want to be able to turn it up so that I do not miss things that I should hear.

Fred P.................

I will say this. If you want a RAM Mic I don't think you can beat Standard Horizon. I had an Icom VHF radio installed by the factory with a ram mic. The design of the Icom ram mic was such that if you reconnected or disconnected the ram mic with the main vhf radio on it would blow the ram mic. Wow.
So I switched the system to Standard Horizon and have been a happy camper ever since.

I have a SH radio at each helm and have the ram mic from the f/b radio to the lower helm. This was the only mounted VHF for a year or so, I mounted a new SH display at the lower helm and a VHF for the AIS data. We now use the ram mic for communication between f/b and cabin + the hailer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom