Boat Sounds UPGRADE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Speaking of sound system, has anyone found a descent compact sub woofer? I have two 5" speakers in the pilot house that are good, but weak on base. I think a sub woofer would be a great improvement, but most are just too darn big. Or have really bad reviews like Pyle Audio.

How about just getting two new bigger better speakers that have good Bass response. JL makes and 8.5 inch two way speaker. I have 2 on my flybridge AND a 12 inch sub....way overkill. Anyway, excellent speakers. They also make a 7 inch and a 5.5. If you are looking for good sound without a sub, those 8.5s would do the trick. Otherwise I think JL makes a 10 inch sub.

You will see me pimp JL on here a lot. There is positively absolutely no better marine audio ANYWHERE!!! BUT.....you will pay for it. It is all a matter of how good do you want it to sound and how long do you want it to last. My last boat I had for almost 7 years. I installed a JL system when I bought it. That system was the subject of severe punishment by me and a bunch of wiggling gyrating girls. It lived outside in the elements uncovered for 8 months of the year. And it sounded as good the day I sold the boat as it did when it was brand new. What did I do when I bought my current boat....yep, JL all the way around.

Now I do use a Fusion 700 head unit. I don't even think JL makes head units....that is not their market. Their market is SOUND!!!

Installing better side speakers is constrained by the space that I have available. 5" is all that will fit.

I might look into a 3 speaker bose setup. That's what we have in the salon, thought it's 5 channel plus sub woofer, and it works really well. I could remove the 5" speakers and maybe mount small speakers elsewhere.

Djones44 There is nothing dirty about a sweet drop and swap! :thumb:you are happy with it and that is the BINGO.
Cheers.

Thx T.

Actually, I sold that Canoe Cove last summer and now have a Sony system exactly as you describe above, on my Permaglass 33, and am contemplating the same drop-swap kluge again.

For me the upgrade is all about getting a sound system accessible by my mobile devices. There are workable audio controls on the bridge in place.

So Bluetooth and Wifi devices will feed into the (decent) existing speakers via a new receiver/hub. I manufacture advanced enclosures for the iPad and Samsung S3 tablet phone, so will look for a QB device to replace the legacy Sony AM/FM and integrate the tablets.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
I use a Tunelink to provide a Bluetooth link to my non-BT Sony Xplod Stereo with wired FB remote and another wireless remote.

No doubt the new ones are BT now.

Last edited:
Jones, are you saying the controls on the fly bridge will control the new hub? Or your Bluetooth device will control the hub. I get the BT feed music part. Not the controls.
Suggestions? What do you want for results ?

Fly,
What is tunelink? What about model #? Sounds useful. I can plug the phone in for streaming music but BT would be a sweet addition. Tell me more.

Attachments

• 20161118_194753.jpg
    20161118_194753.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Google search looks like it links to the system using an FM transmission? Is that what you have?

Ok now I see in plugs into aux jack. And 12 V plug. Walmart?
Jam up custom panel too!! What other cool stuff are making?

Speaking of sound system, has anyone found a descent compact sub woofer? I have two 5" speakers in the pilot house that are good, but weak on base. I think a sub woofer would be a great improvement, but most are just too darn big. Or have really bad reviews like Pyle Audio.

What about one of those TV sound-bars, to go with the new TVs..? They put out a magnificent meaty sound. Never ceases to amaze me the sound they can produce these days from quite small speakers, that defy all the traditional wisdom of speaker afficionados of the Hi-Fi era, when I was young and keen on 'sound'. :socool:

A sound bar is an option. However the good ones seem to come with a separate sub woofer, which brings me back to just adding a sub woofer.

Twisted, look at Polk db521. The specs are good for a 5" speAker . 93 Db sensitivity, 60 he response on the low end. Co worker has them an his Harley impressive for such a small package. I am sure there other good selections. Compare sensitivity and frequency range response among them. Crutchfield has been good to me. Good return policy. Got a Basslink powered sub that I did not like sent back for prompt refund. Good luck there are many options for your situation.

Back
Top Bottom