Boat terms just for the fun of it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Old Stone wrote:

Ah - I see, and now we must bow to the Don. Yes, I made you do it! I will never learn. The devil made ME do it! Slow day for some of us, for sure! Only satisfaction I get right now is that I am quite sure the one, the only, the Don, is not in his beach throne, but humbly, we must still bow. Ever notice that a deep bow MAY cause a slight bit of wind now and then? Must depend on who you are bowing to!
*Gordon Bennett, Carl!* Because of the need to limit green house gases, I had the practice of the deep bow stopped a couple of years ago---the ozone hole and all, you know.* A simple bowing of the head will suffice.* Thank you for*the thought though.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Friday 22nd of April 2011 09:01:57 PM

HeadMistress wrote:Conrad wrote:
And "topsides" refers to what on a boat?
*The hull above the waterline.

*Thank you Peggie! Most folks use the term to refer to everything above the hull.

Conrad wrote:HeadMistress wrote:Conrad wrote:

*Thank you Peggie! Most folks use the term to refer to everything above the hull.

*Most folks around here agree with Peggy. Topsides=the hull above the waterline and beneath the toe rail.

dwhatty wrote:
*Most folks around here agree with Peggy. Topsides=the hull above the waterline and beneath the toe rail.

*Chapman defines "topsides" as both (1) the sides of a vessel above the waterline and (2) on deck as opposed to below deck.

markpierce wrote:dwhatty wrote:

*Chapman defines "topsides" as both (1) the sides of a vessel above the waterline and (2) on deck as opposed to below deck.

*Don't have my Chapman's nearby, but any references I've seen agree with Peggie's definition, with the only variation sometimes being that it is the part of the hull between the waterline and the deck/toerail/caprail/gunwale.

I'm wondering if Chapman's uses the term "topside", which would make sense in context of going above deck.

And dwhatty, I should have clarified - other folks not members of this forum use the term incorrectly! Especially nautical magazine writers it seems.

dwhatty wrote:Most folks around here agree with Peggy. Topsides=the hull above the waterline and beneath the toe rail.
* * * ** I disagree!* Folks in my neck of the woods refer to "top-sides' being any structure above the hull. Blue hull with white top-sides when hailing the USCG.

Attachments

• img_2105.jpg
    img_2105.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 75
Walt: Exact opposite here. You'd be blue topsides, white wheelhouse/cabin sides/superstructure.

-- Edited by dwhatty on Saturday 23rd of April 2011 05:06:27 PM

Conrad wrote:HeadMistress wrote:Conrad wrote:

Completely oblivious to the reason the word is topSIDES.

Ok...why is a vessel's command center called a bridge?

HeadMistress wrote:

The first powered oceancraft had side-wheel paddles.* The command center for the*boat was on a*literal open*bridge*spanning the distance between*the paddle wheels.*

Is that right Mark or are you just winng'in it? Sounds good to me though.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Saturday 23rd of April 2011 08:30:51 PM

Eric, wikipedia seems to agree with my memory:

"Traditionally, sailing ships were commanded from the quarter deck, aft of the mainmast. With the arrival of paddle steamers, engineers required a platform from which they could inspect the paddle wheels and where the captain's view would not be obstructed by the paddle houses. A raised walkway, literally a bridge, connecting the paddle houses was therefore provided. When the screw propeller superseded the paddle wheel, the bridge was retained."

dwhatty wrote:
*You'd be blue topsides, white wheelhouse/cabin sides/superstructure.

I don't believe I've ever heard anyone on the radio with a description like that! Now I realize that I could be dead wrong but I would be interested in how many members of this forum identify their vessels in that way.

Coast Guard, this is 35-foot recreational vessel Carquinez Coot, dark hull, white superstructure, yellow pilothouse roof.* Do you see me?* Over.

img_49708_0_0abb17b55867b6af98493e05d84b6fcd.jpg

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 23rd of April 2011 08:45:28 PM

markpierce wrote:HeadMistress wrote:
The first powered oceancraft had side-wheel paddles.* The command center for the*boat was on a*literal open*bridge*spanning the distance between*the paddle wheels

*Okey-dokey..* extra points to the first one who can name the vessel which had the first bridge and the builder who conceived of the idea...without looking it up!!

markpierce wrote:
Coast Guard, this is 35-foot recreational vessel Carquinez Coot, dark hull, white superstructure, yellow pilothouse roof.* Do you see me?* Over.

SeaHorse II wrote:
*Well, there ya go....first time I ever read a description put that way.
jawdrop.gif
*Maybe not, but it pays to have a boat not looking like all the others.

img_49712_1_5d4a90db0866c1c4f6a136c9ef4ed39e.jpg

Coast Guard, this is 35-foot recreational vessel Carquinez Coot, dark hull, white superstructure, yellow pilothouse roof, red sails.* Do you see me now?* Over.

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 23rd of April 2011 09:35:14 PM

skipperdude wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
The one I really like "moonraker".* Top most square sail on a fully rigged*sailing ship above the sky sail.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Thursday 21st of April 2011 07:54:49 AM
*Mr. Moon.**Methinks you are just enamored with anything that has your name in it.

SD

*SD here is a picture of our dinghy.* You probably guessed it.* Yep, her name is Moonbeam.

Attachments

• caribe dinghy 003.jpg
    caribe dinghy 003.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 77
Moonstruck wrote:*SD here is a picture of our dinghy.* You probably guessed it.* Yep, her name is Moonbeam.*
*I would have guessed Moonshine.

markpierce wrote:Moonstruck wrote:*SD here is a picture of our dinghy.* You probably guessed it.* Yep, her name is Moonbeam.*
*I would have guessed Moonshine.

*Mark
no.gif
, that' because she "radiates" out from Moonstruck!
wink.gif

Moonstruck wrote:*that' because she "radiates" out from Moonstruck!
wink.gif

*Hardy, har har har!!

Have you thought of usages for the word Luna?

Only one comes to mind.*
biggrin.gif

SD

skipperdude wrote:Moonstruck wrote:*that' because she "radiates" out from Moonstruck!
wink.gif

*Hardy, har har har!!

Have you thought of usages for the word Luna?

Only one comes to mind.*
biggrin.gif

SD

*Oh yes, how about Bella Luna or Casa de la*Luna.* It could be a name for the "home in the picture".* It's almost endless.

Attachments

• y 057.jpg
    y 057.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 64
For a moment I thought we were*referring to*lunatic.

markpierce wrote:
For a moment I thought we were*referring to*lunatic.
*Mark and SD, it's best if you let me do the thinking!
biggrin.gif

Okay, somebody has to mention LunaSea....

On a few of the other treads. There has been mention of where the deck meets the hull.

*Also known as the Deck Hinge.

SD

Don's not the only one - our dinghy is "Moonbeam" as well.

-- Edited by RCook on Friday 29th of April 2011 07:08:38 AM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom