Counting the number of decks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
"Deck -Nautical: a floorlike surface wholly or partially occupying one level of a hull, superstructure, or deckhouse, generally cambered, and often serving as a member for strengthening the*structure of a vessel."

How should we count decks to describe our vessels?

My Coot has two exterior levels: (1) the main 360-degree deck and (2) the roof of the saloon.

The interior has four levels: (1) saloon, (2) engine room, (3) master stateroom, and (4) pilothouse.* However, the first three are all at the "bottom" of the boat while the pilothouse is atop the enginehouse and is at the same level as the main exterior deck.

So, what's the total number of decks?* Somewhere between two*and six.* But what's the "correct" number.

img_3320_0_6b10243166174cc66aebab1bd668b2be.jpg

The builder owes me a "P."

img_3320_1_816ac7c4b8beba63d425a7e7bc98acaf.jpg

PS.* I'd*say three.*

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 22nd of April 2011 03:55:27 PM

Mark,* I think I would keep it simple and just count the exterior.

My answer 2 decks.* Probably not right but if I said I had a boat with six decks people would probably be thinking I had a cruise ship or such,

IMHO* JohnP

Someone obviously had to take a "P" pretty bad.

dvd wrote:
Someone obviously had to take a "P" pretty bad.
*I'm thinking of leaving the way it is.* People might pay more attention to the message.

I was about to suggest the sign belonged in the OTDE section.

The way boats are laid out today the number of decks is rellivant.* It's like saying a split level house has 3 floors.* When you consider the convoluted stair systems on boats as small as 30', it starts getting impossible to give a good accounting for number of decks.* Boats at one time were built to maximize work space.* Pleasure boats have come to using offsetting decks to maximize living and recreational space.* The definition gets blurred.

hmm... I guess instead of telling people I own a 36 trawler I can tell them I own a tri-deck long range cruising vessel! :)

RED wrote:
I was about to suggest the sign belonged in the OTDE section.
*Please, let's not go that way.

mark;

I would ditch the sign altogether.
If I invited guests dumb enough to not realize there is no railing around the deck they were standing on, I would deserve their lawsuit for neglecting to provide a warning.

Or you could replace it with a sign saying "warning, no beer provided on up_er deck due to lack beverage holders".

koliver wrote:
mark;

I would ditch the sign altogether.
If I invited guests dumb enough to not realize there is no railing around the deck they were standing on, I would deserve their lawsuit for neglecting to provide a warning.
*There is a railing on the up_er deck, but it's only about knee/thigh high; not waist-high as surrounding the main deck.

I've been*thinking.*
confuse.gif
***If the windows of interior spaces are on the main deck, they could be considered on that deck even if their floors are substantially below the main deck.* Now if below-deck spaces have windows in the hull below the main deck, I'd count that as a separate deck.* But then there is*my windowless*engineroom below the pilothouse which is at the level of the main deck.* That would make three decks (1) engine room, (2) main deck [saloon, pilothouse, stateroom], and (3) upper [saloon roof].* But visually there are only two (main and upper).* Oh well.* I'll stick with two unless someone asks where the engineroom is.* (Now if only the engineroom had windows ...)

I would say you have one deck and a roof.* I also do not allow people to be on the roof when away from the dock unless they have a reason to be.* I dont even like them on the front deck. *Crew and passengers are to be behind the Portuguese Bridge with the gate closed and/or the stern deck with somebody else.* Many times we run with the canvas enclosures down then I know they are secure inside the confines of the boat.* I like to count noses and check the bilge/ER about every ½ hour.* ***

With my spelling it looks OK to me.***Would not even have notice.* *
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom