Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Matt

With hundreds of persons watching you create... You might want ta get some beer maker to subsidize this thread and your build-out on SOLSTICE. Tell em you will be pleased to advertise for them in this link and on the boat - regarding annual payment basis, with contract renewal each year!

Yeah... That's the ticket!! Have SOLSTICE become an income producer!!!

:dance: :D :lol: :thumb:

Yes sir I'll call the final colour moonstruck shine [emoji23]

What's floating on her lines? As in hoping she floats?

Floating on her lines refers to the water level being on the hull at the points you expected. If you have bottom paint and a boot stripe, you have them in relationship to where you expect / want the waterline to be. If you get it right, then she's floating on her lines (waterline).

Ted

Floating on her lines refers to the water level being on the hull at the points you expected. If you have bottom paint and a boot stripe, you have them in relationship to where you expect / want the waterline to be. If you get it right, then she's floating on her lines (waterline).

Ted

IMHO - Unless a math genius (which Matt may also be :D) for calculating water line on SOLSTICE boat-baby... it may be best to launch before painting water line boot stripe in its finality. Just for S&G... If it were my baby I sure would have some obscure marks on hull before launch to determine how close my waterline calculations came to reality. :dance:

Matt, don't worry about having to make some adjustments to get her balanced to her lines. Most all boats will require some adjustments. For several years I was near the Hatteras Yachts factory. Even their large luxury yachts required some tweeking and moving some equipment. During sea trials their yachts were based out of our marina. They would come in with lead weights stacked on the deck to see how much weight to move where. Sometimes they would just place lead weights within the hull for balance.

Again, I'm very impressed with the design of this boat! I don't know her length but she is a real beauty!

Does she have a bow thruster?

Note: One hour later....I'm still trying to understand my attraction to this boat & I came to this conclusion. The 32 Gourmet Cruiser that I had for 8 years, when viewed on the hard, is not unlike the lines of this boat!

(I hope you enjoy your boat at least half as much as I did my 32.)

Attachments

• Hendo'd Boat.jpg
    Hendo'd Boat.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 8.22.04 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 8.22.04 AM.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
These are ok too. Someone left some behind in the fridge on the boat

View attachment 58520

Coors works too.

Hey Pete, Matt and I are to broke(read here cheap for me) to drink very high up the shelf.

Hey Matt, are you building your boat near orchards by any chance? The video Jen showed what we call a "pruning tower" being used to maneuver around the boat.

Hey Matt

With hundreds of persons watching you create... You might want ta get some beer maker to subsidize this thread and your build-out on SOLSTICE. Tell em you will be pleased to advertise for them in this link and on the boat - regarding annual payment basis, with contract renewal each year!

Yeah... That's the ticket!! Have SOLSTICE become an income producer!!!

:dance: :D :lol: :thumb:

HAHA mate I should have written a book instead of posting it and made some coin lol [emoji23]

Honestly tho; the advice, help and support I get from you guys is enough payment for me.

Ted

Oh Sok cool. Thanks Ted. I was just going to paint the underside of her and not up the sides and when she has been slipped for her annual routine I would paint a boot stripe above the water markings on the sides. That way I'd have the trim and ballast sorted. Not sure really.

IMHO - Unless a math genius (which Matt may also be :D) for calculating water line on SOLSTICE boat-baby... it may be best to launch before painting water line boot stripe in its finality. Just for S&G... If it were my baby I sure would have some obscure marks on hull before launch to determine how close my waterline calculations came to reality. :dance:

Haha wouldn't have a clue where the water will sit. Hopefully not over the hull extension :-o ...

My thoughts exactly mate. I might get some slime and crap on the side where the anti fouling isn't but a quick dive with a brush could clean the area.

Matt, don't worry about having to make some adjustments to get her balanced to her lines. Most all boats will require some adjustments. For several years I was near the Hatteras Yachts factory. Even their large luxury yachts required some tweeking and moving some equipment. During sea trials their yachts were based out of our marina. They would come in with lead weights stacked on the deck to see how much weight to move where. Sometimes they would just place lead weights within the hull for balance.

Ah ok cool cool. Thanks for letting me know. I won't be as concerned if I need to adjust her trim and balance.

Again, I'm very impressed with the design of this boat! I don't know her length but she is a real beauty!

Does she have a bow thruster?

Note: One hour later....I'm still trying to understand my attraction to this boat & I came to this conclusion. The 32 Gourmet Cruiser that I had for 8 years, when viewed on the hard, is not unlike the lines of this boat!

(I hope you enjoy your boat at least half as much as I did my 32.)

Mate she's around 40ft. It started off at 32ft before I extended the hull

No bow or stern thrusters mate. Just a single screw.

Mate I'm blown away by this pic. I show flic and she can't believe how similar it is. Do you have any other pics of her on the hard and in the water? Id love to see them.

Last edited:
G'day folks. Today I Just cracked on with torture boarding the Jotafair then began skim coating with the platinum plus. Been a little while since I last faired any bilateral curves. Took a few goes to get my rhythm back. Getting close to knocking this side off. I can smell the BBQ and beers for the hull party already lol. My 2 cockpit drains and thru hulls arrived today which was a nice surprise. Ok that's it for today. Have a good night

IMG_1479300490.304770.jpg
IMG_1479300511.807279.jpg
IMG_1479300540.626693.jpg
IMG_1479300588.617336.jpg

Ya know how some dolls' eyes seem to always be looking at cha... no mater from what angle you view the doll. Well - that is exactly how your doll SOLSTICE seems every photo I see that shows her portholes! She's Alive!!! - LOL :dance:

Ya know how some dolls' eyes seem to always be looking at cha... no mater from what angle you view the doll. Well - that is exactly how your doll SOLSTICE seems every photo I see that shows her portholes! She's Alive!!! - LOL :dance:

Lol she's watchin ya Art ... she hears everything you say about her ;-)

Lol, torture boarding.

Well this arvo was all about skim coating, guide coating then torture boarding then repeating ... several hundred times lol

IMG_1479377823.016831.jpg
IMG_1479377834.835285.jpg
IMG_1479377846.858276.jpg
IMG_1479377862.526264.jpg
IMG_1479377874.862246.jpg
IMG_1479377886.107749.jpg
IMG_1479377897.314906.jpg
IMG_1479377909.578706.jpg
IMG_1479377926.136145.jpg
IMG_1479377940.271306.jpg

In those pictures... SOLSTICE's eyes look bleary - you're worken that gal hard! LOL

Yesterday's was more fairing

IMG_1479551158.599068.jpg

Today was all about fishing and spending the day relaxing in SOLSTICE's tender. Some days ya just gotta get on the water, clear the mind, cleanse the soul catch for crabs lol

IMG_1479551338.422462.jpg
IMG_1479551195.387055.jpg
IMG_1479551209.271254.jpg
IMG_1479551355.724563.jpg
IMG_1479551367.071028.jpg
IMG_1479551383.312235.jpg

Last edited:
It's the "Lone Ranger". Who was that masked man? :rolleyes:

Ted

SOLSTICE's eyes are once again obviously wide open, she's looking for improvements... you gave her a few day rest twixt applications... good on ya, and her too! :thumb: :D

SOLSTICE's eyes are once again obviously wide open, she's looking for improvements... you gave her a few day rest twixt applications... good on ya, and her too! :thumb: :D

Yeah we both needed some alone time. We were getting on eachothers nerves lol

I'm officially a daddy of an Orca. This is where SOLSTICE gets the name SOLSTICE from.

View attachment 58971
View attachment 58972
View attachment 58973
View attachment 58974

Exactly what do you guys do on your whale child's birthday?? Have more Orcas over for a party... is that a whale of a party you threw in one of the photos? :lol:

Bet cha your whale Solstice will be proud to swim alongside your boat SOLSTICE!! :thumb:

BTW - Couldn't get the images to enlarge for clear read, maybe it's just my computer.

Edit: With the links on this post when punched each one comes in big and clear.

Last edited:
Today is a very significant day and milestone for SOLSTICE. Today marks the end of the construction and fairing of her Starboard side.

This afternoon i finished off fairing the 3M platinum plus and barrier coated the filler using epoxy resin.

Once dry it will be sanded and readied for primer then it's on to the roof overhang above the windscreens and a couple of areas on the cabin roof before that all gets barrier coated and the. It all gets primed then it's on to the Port side [emoji106]?[emoji106]?[emoji482]

Video shows fairness in the reflections.

IMG_1479890868.841752.jpg
IMG_1479890880.574811.jpg
IMG_1479890895.762694.jpg
IMG_1479890908.782493.jpg
IMG_1479890922.252582.jpg
IMG_1479890937.434438.jpg
IMG_1479890953.407984.jpg

A fair skinned lass SOLSTICE is becoming... and, will most certainly continue to be!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom