Holding Tank Odor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peggy--The ONLY thing I have found to eliminate inside stink is PVC pipe..

Which is fine for long straight runs. Not so great in systems that have a lot of bends because everyone requires an inline radius fitting...and every break is a potential leak. Plus, if you really want to do it right, every connection to anything "fixed" (toilet, tank, thru-hull) should be soft-coupled with enough hose to protect the pipe from flex and shock.

There are hoses today that are truly impervious to odor permeation...Trident 101/102 has been on the market for about 20 years without a single reported odor permeation failure...and is reasonably priced $7-8/ft. It just has one drawback: it's almost as stiff as hard pipe...making it a good choice only for long straight runs. Raritan SaniFlex hose has been on the market for about 7 years now, also without a single reported odor permeation failure. It can make a U-turn as tight as a bobby pin without kinking...but it too has a drawback: the price...about $14/ft.

The vent filter will only improve the conditions that neighbors contend with every time a toilet is flushed which of course makes sense.

Some simple mods to the tank vent to allow it to provide the air exchange needed to create the aerobic conditions that prevent odor would eliminate the need for the filter...and those mods can be made to most systems for less than the cost of the materials you use to cobble up your homemade version.

Best of all for PVC is that it is much less expensive than crappy hoses.

Isn't that kinda like saying that a canoe is cheaper than a crappy boat? We do get what we pay for!

And yes, many will say that electrical PVC sweeps should not be used...

I don't recall ever hearing that.

Have a nice day! :D

Peggy-- There are those---self included who prefer an inexpensive, durable, stink free system to get waste from a raw or fresh water marine head to a holding tank. And just because a problem's solution is inexpensive does not relate it to a substandard category. To say "we do get what we pay for" may be true although many times we can pay far less and still have the desired outcome.

I was only referring to the hoses you'd previously used...you were the one who called 'em "cheap."

I was only referring to the hoses you'd previously used...you were the one who called 'em "cheap."

No Peggy, it was not I who called hoses "cheap", I would not have even called them inexpensive which is the word I most likely would have used in any case.

I referred to them as "smelly" in post #21, "crappy" in post #28. My previous post, #32, I was referring to the benefits of using PVC. And as to inexpensive (cheap), I would never think nor claim Tridant's $7-8/ foot or Samiflex's $14/foot as inexpensive.

Now PVC! That is entirely a different material AND INEXPENSIVE at $0.67/foot (Lowes) for 1 1/2" schedule 40. So if I required about 25 feet of PVC to replace the old crappy poo poo hoses with pipe, my pipe cost would be in the range of $17 compared to $200 for Trident's product that you recommend.

My change over is long done but if I were now doing it now I would save enough to take both my wife and you and your husband out to a decent dinner and have money left over. See the advantages of paying less for a better product? :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom