Deck Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi everyone. I'm looking at a Sea Ranger MY, as a future liveaboard. I have a survey scheduled, but hoping for some insight before shelling out the 2k. I'm concerned that there may be some deck rot, as the original teak decking is still in place, and the current owners have stripped the veneer off the aft cabin wall and corners astern. They claim it was done due to a leaking portlight, thought I'm a little skeptical. I'm wondering if anyone has had to do an extensive deck repair on a C&L before, and what the cost was like. Thanks!

Well, if you otherwise like the boat price in removal of teak decks and replace with proper FRP and Awlgrip deck paint. Teak decks can indeed be leak points on older vessels. Fact of life. All they can do is say no.

Well, if you otherwise like the boat price in removal of teak decks and replace with proper FRP and Awlgrip deck paint. Teak decks can indeed be leak points on older vessels. Fact of life. All they can do is say no.

That was my thought, though the boat is only really worth 60(ish) bluebook. I'm just not sure what a to account for as a worst-case scenario price tag if it wicked into the stringers, etc... I suppose the survey will tell. The upside is there's no odor as I've seen on a few others I've checked out. Maybe I'll get luckly and she'll only need a little CPES lovin'. Or even better, maybe she's solid.

I do really like the boat, she's a 52' cockpit model, so she provides enough space for living and working aboard without going crazy. I don't mind spending some doe getting her right, but struggle with where my cut-loose point is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom