View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 06:27 AM   #18
Anode
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
RE: Comfort vs fear

The key to keeping spouses and family enthused about boating and cruising is to know and respect everyone's comfort factor. If the conditions are beyond that, stay at the dock and wait until things improve. Period. Scare someone once and they may never come back.

My wife is a seasoned boater and loves the water but I know her limits are less than mine*and I respect them. She'll be out there on the water with me to the end.

I do boat deliveries and my comfort factor is the boat's capability. Just back (two weeks ago)*from a 10 day off-shore (Gulf Stream) delivery from Fort Lauderdale, FL to Barnegat, NJ. 75 to 100 miles off-shore much of way. 3 man crew - 4 hour watch - 8 hour off. Always - Keep current on weather reports -*Have 'bail out' points if conditions get too bad. 30 knot winds and 10-12 foot seas on several occasions. Lots of water over the deck to fill the cockpit several times a shift. Lay on the floor to sleep. Lay on the floor to put your clothes on. SIT DOWN to pee. 26 degrees off the NJ coast with ice on the life lines. Good food,*good crew*=*good times. And no...I didn't do this in my 30 foot trawler. It was a 40 foot blue water sailboat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010009 (small).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	5767   Click image for larger version

Name:	p3170017 (small).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	5768   Click image for larger version

Name:	p3200030 (small).jpg
Views:	68