Life's Mysteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
One of life's mysteries. How can it be that, when you are looking for a flat screwdriver, all you can find in your toolbox is a half dozen Phillips, and when you are looking for a Phillips all you can find in that exact same toolbox is a half dozen flats?

One of life's mysteries. How can it be that, when you are looking for a flat screwdriver, all you can find in your toolbox is a half dozen Phillips, and when you are looking for a Phillips all you can find in that exact same toolbox is a half dozen flats?

A corollary of Murphy's Law.

I thought that only happened to me. So...I am not alone... :smitten:

Throw a couple of multi bit drivers in your box.

It increases the odds at least a little. :D

Wonderful!! I thought it was only me.!!

Several years ago, on a friend's advice, I began eliminating slotted screws from my life. Slotted screws, he explained, are the devil's spawn. The screwdriver blade slips out too easily, the surrounding surfaces get damaged, and blasphemy soon follows. Finding his logic unassailable, I converted. Whenever I remove a fastener, I replace it with a Phillips head, and throw the old slotted screw into the recycling bin. It's been a gradual process of attrition, but I've noticed that I am happier, that minor tasks go more quickly, and that the absence of a flat-blade screwdriver is no longer so much of an inconvenience. It's even possible that I mutter fewer curses while working with stubborn fasteners.

Last week I used a big, beefy flat-blade to pry open the jammed door to my neighbor's storage locker, and I realized that it was the first time in a long time that I've even had the need for such a tool.

Several years ago, on a friend's advice, I began eliminating slotted screws from my life.

Sage advice! Some PO of my boat had a love affair with slotted screws. I, too have been recycling any I encounter and replacing them with phillips head.

Can anyone explain why electrical terminal blocks always come with slotted screws? They're often in inaccessible places you can only reach with one hand, and the screws are tiny with fine threads. Seems they'd be a perfect candidate for phillips.

Easy...whenever I find a slotted screw on the boat, I chuck it in the trash or overboard....

People call 5200 the Devils juice or whatever...slotted screws should be all sent to North Korea.

Fortunately I have tackle boxes full of stainless, Phillips heads from my installer days.

I use a particular brand of screwdriver packing a magazine of various tips, including square, which I like best for new stuff. I have five of these drivers; basement shop, garage shop, boat, truck, and tool bucket.

And why, if you drop a tool or a part in the engine room does it migrate to dead center under the engine? And why if you can't find something you know you have it will magically appear soon after you purchase a replacement?

An old friend occasionally sends me something fun. This thread seems to provide the perfect opportunity to share his latest one with y'all:

TOOLS EXPLAINED
DRILL PRESS
A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL:
Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh sh --'

SKIL SAW:
A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

BELT SANDER:
An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

TABLE SAW:
A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

BAND SAW:
A large stationary power saw primarily used to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST:
A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PRY BAR:
A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

[FONT=&quot]HOSE CUTTER[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A tool used to make hoses too short.

[/FONT]
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent to the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE:
Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on liquids in plastic bottles and rubber or plastic parts.

Last edited:
And why, if you drop a tool or a part in the engine room does it migrate to dead center under the engine? And why if you can't find something you know you have it will magically appear soon after you purchase a replacement?

The perversity of inanimate objects.

Easy...whenever I find a slotted screw on the boat, I chuck it in the trash or overboard....

People call 5200 the Devils juice or whatever...slotted screws should be all sent to North Korea.

Fortunately I have tackle boxes full of stainless, Phillips heads from my installer days.

LOL

I have a few blade screwdrivers. In fact, the big one that gets the most use is perfect for removing oysters from rocks. Any time I am removing something that has slot screws, they go in the water (thankfully they sink!).

I have been doing this so long, that there are very few slot type screws left on my boat.

I need lots of sizes of Phillips screwdrivers, as there is no consistency in the sizing, so you get variation in width, angle and sharpness of the point, so need all those variations covered in order to reliably get a stubborn screw out without damage.

I replace only with Robertson head screws. These are far superior to Phillips. The screw will hang on the end of the screwdriver for reaching into awkward places, the screwdriver will stay in the head rather than stripping it if balky on removal, only comes in a few sizes and all have a very uniform shape, so only 4 sizes of screwdriver are generally needed, Black, Red, Green, Yellow. Sorry guys, not available in the US.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. k. I heartily endorse your use of Robertson screws! On our boat, Philips screws get discarded on a regular basis to be replaced by Robbies.
"Sorry guys, not available in the US. " That's where you're wrong, my friend. Fastenal will order any size and configuration of what they and everyone else in the States call square drive, you want.
https://www.fastenal.com/products?r=~|categoryl1:%22600000%20Fasteners%22|~%20~|categoryl2:%22600051%20Screws%22|~%20~|categoryl3:%22600071%20Wood%20Screws%22|~%20~|sattr04:^Square$|~%20~|sattr02:^%22Stainless%20Steel%22$|~
The "square drive" is such a superior fastener, I don't know why anyone in their right mind would use Philips unless they are masochists...
The above link is for bugle head screws but other head configurations are readily available.

Last edited:
LOL

I replace only with Robertson head screws. These are far superior to Phillips.

Greetings,
Mr. k. I heartily endorse your use of Robertson screws!
The "square drive" is such a superior fastener, I don't know why anyone in their right mind would use Philips unless they are masochists...

:thumb: :thumb:

Greetings,
Mr. k. I heartily endorse your use of Robertson screws! On our boat, Philips screws get discarded on a regular basis to be replaced by Robbies.
"Sorry guys, not available in the US. " That's where you're wrong, my friend. Fastenal will order any size and configuration of what they and everyone else in the States call square drive, you want.
https://www.fastenal.com/products?r=~|categoryl1:%22600000%20Fasteners%22|~%20~|categoryl2:%22600051%20Screws%22|~%20~|categoryl3:%22600071%20Wood%20Screws%22|~%20~|sattr04:^Square$|~%20~|sattr02:^%22Stainless%20Steel%22$|~
The above link is for bugle head screws but other head configurations are readily available.

In fact the Square Drive is different from, and not as good as the Robbies. The angle of the recess and of the driver are different from that of Square Drives. Better for a good fit of the driver into the screw head.

LOL
I replace only with Robertson head screws. These are far superior to Phillips.

Yes! Robbies are the only way to go! I'm systematically removing all Phillips screws in favour of Robbies.

"And why, if you drop a tool or a part in the engine room does it migrate to dead center under the engine? And why if you can't find something you know you have it will magically appear soon after you purchase a replacement?

Bilge Ferrets. Every boat has them.

Torx screws are fine until you get one tiny piece of strontium 90 or a small piece of sand in the opening, they reject the screw driver and become more permanent than 5200. Besides, with old eyes they are hard to tell if they are hex head or torx so you grab the wrong tool thereby rounding out the little nubbins inside and making them more permanent...etc.

Robertson all the way!

I've often railed at the general and pervasive perversity of the universe as applied to grabbing the desired tool, or inevitably doing something inadvertently that you could not do at all if you tried to. People who ever are within earshot must wonder why they often hear, "One hundred percent chance!", echoing loudly.

I first learned about and had to deal with Robertson head fasteners in my first year, 1966, at McGill University, in Montreal. I would remove them from whatever I was working on, throw them away, and replace them with 'real' screws. Of course, I had to have the required size of drivers and may as well have simply reinstalled 'em. Interestingly, my dad's 1972 Morgan 27, built in St Petersburg, FL, was fastened with square drive screws. I tossed them as required, too, when I did work on that boat after we owned her and until we sold her in 2005. It's devilishly hard to get paint, glue or resin out of Robertson-, square-, or Phillips head screws. Score a big one for slotted! Most Torx headed fasteners seem to be on GM cars, which I've never owned, although they're occasionally to be found on my Volvos. They corrode quickly to unremovable nubs in inconvenient places. Hex socket fasteners are pretty rare, but were a favorite of my dad's; thus I have heaps of stainless steel capscrews from his stash for my projects. I have done most of my rough construction work and cabinet making with Phillips head screws since I damaged my hammer-holding hand in 1988. I do confess to actually buying and using stainless steel square drive screws on one project.

Last edited:
I too, am slowly ridding my boat of flat screws. Flat screwdrivers are only good for opening paint cans and prying impellors)

I've imported numerous Robertson screwdrivers and boxes of screws every time I visit Canada. The rest of the world is slowly learning that there is no better screw. (well -maybe one type of screw ;) )
They are finally starting to sell a few sizes of stainless Robertson screws at Bunnings in Australia.

Last edited:
In fact the Square Drive is different from, and not as good as the Robbies. The angle of the recess and of the driver are different from that of Square Drives. Better for a good fit of the driver into the screw head.

Thank you, thank you. Been looking for Robertson screws. Have a Fastenal in town.

I am the gleeful owner of tooooo many stainless and brass fasteners...of all sorts, shapes and sizes. Took me decades to accumulate such a diverse selection. Only problem is their weight in assorted sized containment boxes/bins/bags. Reason I have soooo many is because when I'd go to purchase a fastener for any reason I would nearly always purchase many of the same sort as well as whatever other fastener seemed to grab my eye at that time. Always figuring that the more the merrier if/when ever needed.

I also have ample selection of tools aboard for installing (or removing) this array of fasteners. Of course the tools are heavy too.

Ya could say that these groups of metal products are my answer to having ballast with a useful bent!

Regarding life's mysteries: One night while walking to put some mail in the mailbox, something caught my eye: A steaming hot boiled potato sitting in the grass at 11pm. Semi rural setting, no traffic, no other houses within 200yds.

You guys fret over screws and tools. That potato will bother me to the end of my life.

Regarding life's mysteries: One night while walking to put some mail in the mailbox, something caught my eye: A steaming hot boiled potato sitting in the grass at 11pm. Semi rural setting, no traffic, no other houses within 200yds.

You guys fret over screws and tools. That potato will bother me to the end of my life.

You sure it was a potato and not the offering on the Great Dane up the street?

Tough crowd!!! Yes, I can tell the difference between a boiled potato and fresh dog poop. Really.

Back
Top Bottom