What do you have on the ceiling of your engine room?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BelfastCruiser

Veteran Member
Hi All - I have some really old acoustical tile on the ceiling of the engine room. Its dry, flaky, and beginning to spall off. I'm going to pull it all down and am looking for suggestions as to a new ceiling treatment. Ideas?

Thanks as always!

Lots of cuss words coat mine. Other than that, foil covered insulation and it does pretty well.

Two inch soundown.

Rob

37' Sedan

BelfastCruiser wrote:
Hi All - I have some really old acoustical tile on the ceiling of the engine room. Its dry, flaky, and beginning to spall off. I'm going to pull it all down and am looking for suggestions as to a new ceiling treatment. Ideas?

Thanks as always!
*So why not just paint/seal the old tile.* Its a lot easier than replacing it.* *

I'll get some pix up this afternoon - this old stuff has been holed and had chunks spalled off - it's uglys poster child!

I still have the old acoustical tile. 28 years and holding, but it is on the list of changing someday.

JohnP

Fotoman wrote:GonzoF1 wrote:
Lots of cuss words coat mine.
*Got a good chuckle out of this one!

Have a good insulation in the Engine Room is a good idea to catch/hold all those bad curse words in.* I been know to use bad/curse words like darn, son of a gun, shoot, heck, bugger all, blood hell, and even stooped so low as to using friging several times.

The Eagle engine rooms has 33 year old tiles that are still in good shape.* for the shape your are in, somebody must have used a lot of bad/curse words in your engine room.* *If I was going to replace I would go to the hard ware store and buy some new tiles and liquid nail it on.* We carpeted the salon floor is really help reduce the noise and hold in the heat.* Plus our dog hated the darn teak floor as she good not get any tracktion.

We bought a condo that had the pop corn ceiling that was falling off, so we gutted it and sealed the whole condo with white sealing paint which coved yeats of dirt/grim and stop the pop corn stuff falling off.* I would think the tile would suck up the paint, to hold it together.

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Thursday 21st of April 2011 08:26:52 AM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Thursday 21st of April 2011 10:21:25 AM

Most engine rooms have OVERHEADS , the Ceiling is the covering on the on the sides.

Acoustical tiles , that last a few decades and cost pennies per sq ft would seem to be viable choice.

OF course for the thick wallets Soundown 2lb sq fr 2 inch thick leaded works even better.

Back
Top Bottom