Boat terms just for the fun of it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
I told someone I was on the hard.

1. They said what is the soft?* *I said the water.

2. When do you spash?

3. what's a blow boater.

4. Whats a twin screw.

5. Is it the helm or the wheel?

6. Is it the prop the screw or the wheel?

7. What is a pulpet?* Some thing in a church?

8. What is a Lazarette?

9. What is a floor*

10. What is a celing

11. How about a carling?

Sd

--

-- Edited by skipperdude on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 03:58:17 PM

Is this supposed to be a quiz? If so...

1. If you're not on the hard, you're afloat

2. I dunno when you "spash"...however, "splash" is the term for spring launch

3. A blow boater is a ragbagger...aka a sailboater

4. Several definitions of twin screw that have nothing to do with boat terminology come to mind, but I think the definition you want is "twin engine" referring to two propellers

5. A helm can be either a wheel or a tiller.

6. Both are correct

7. A small* platform or deck extension over the bow of a boat.

8. A storage locker, usually in or around the cockpit of a vessel

9. Part of a ship's skeleton...stringers run fore-aft, floors run athwartship (across)

10. Planking in the interior of a ship

11. Supports running fore-aft for the deck of a ship

-- Edited by HeadMistress on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 09:45:25 PM

Hey Peggie your a whizzzzzz. I'd add that the ceiling on a boat or ship is called the "overhead". Also the're 3 items in #6 so all THREE are correct. Also on a trawler forum I'd call the lazarette a space all the way aft and below decks. The laz is always all the way aft and cockpits on occasion are not. I think you're thinking sail boat. On #2 the "spring" part is new to me. Who said you can't learn things from a blond. But I'm happy doing so. You are a blond are'nt you?

nomadwilly wrote:
Hey Peggie your a whizzzzzz. I'd add that the ceiling on a boat or ship is called the "overhead". Also the're 3 items in #6 so all THREE are correct. Also on a trawler forum I'd call the lazarette a space all the way aft and below decks. The laz is always all the way aft and cockpits on occasion are not. I think you're thinking sail boat. On #2 the "spring" part is new to me. Who said you can't learn things from a blond. But I'm happy doing so. You are a blond are'nt you?
*I think you make a good point relative to "Splash" Eric. It has nothing to do with the time of year, but with putting the boat back in the water. IMHO!!! As to learning things from Blondes, that may be a bit of a stretch, but certainly, we can all learn a lot from the ladies in our lives. Too much testosterone does make the mind a little mushy.*
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by Carey on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 10:23:50 PM

Carey wrote:As to learning things from Blondes, that may be a bit of a stretch, but certainly, we can all learn a lot from the ladies in our lives. Too much testosterone does make the mind a little mushy.*
biggrin.gif

*-- Edited by Carey on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 10:23:50 PM
Welll... Neanderthals aren't totally extinct after all!

Carey wrote:nomadwilly wrote:Hey Peggie your a whizzzzzz. I'd add that the ceiling on a boat or ship is called the "overhead". Also the're 3 items in #6 so all THREE are correct. Also on a trawler forum I'd call the lazarette a space all the way aft and below decks. The laz is always all the way aft and cockpits on occasion are not. I think you're thinking sail boat. On #2 the "spring" part is new to me. Who said you can't learn things from a blond. But I'm happy doing so. You are a blond are'nt you?*I think you make a good point relative to "Splash" Eric. It has nothing to do with the time of year, but with putting the boat back in the water. IMHO!!! As to learning things from Blondes, that may be a bit of a stretch, but certainly, we can all learn a lot from the ladies in our lives. Too much testosterone does make the mind a little mushy.*
biggrin.gif
-- Edited by Carey on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 10:23:50 PM
*Splash is a common word*in the spring up north because*the boats are all hauled for the winter. Bottom work and refit is done over the winter.* No one hauls in Ohio or Michigan*during the three weeks you can actually*use the boat in July unless they have to. Some marinas on Erie won't put the boats back in until*May and everyone needs to be out by the end of October.

So when are you going to Splash is a spring term up there.

-- Edited by JD on Wednesday 20th of April 2011 07:23:50 AM

-- Edited by JD on Wednesday 20th of April 2011 07:24:21 AM

Peggie,

Despite my post I think you did better w the words than I would have. In college w friends looking at a magazine I said "wow look at that ketch". A cute girl across the table (that I did'nt know) said "That's not a ketch** ..that's a yawl" Then she explained about the position of the helm and how it makes a yawl a yawl and a ketch a ketch. Karen became one of the loves of my life*** ...she shocked me into it! You are a Whizz Peggie. I would have missed #9 and #11. By the way is Carling spelled Carlin?

I'm glad my wife is satisfied with our single screw. :p

nomadwilly wrote:
*I'd add that the ceiling on a boat or ship is called the "overhead".
*It is called the overhead but Peggie's response is correct.

it is those wooden slats on the walls of Willy

and it is Carling.**A Carlin*was a comedian.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 20th of April 2011 11:03:20 AM

nomadwilly wrote:
Peggie,

Then she explained about the position of the helm and how it makes a yawl a yawl and a ketch a ketch.
Just to be clear it is the position of the rudder post and not the helm.*The mizzen*mast before the rudder*post, ketch, after the post, yawl.* That's why most yawls have such a small*mizzen mast.* It's on the aft deck behind the rudder post so there isn't much deck there.* It can be used to*trim the boat under sail*without*rudder in put.* So trimming single handed was easy.*

Well,

Now I know how to satisfy my wife, talk about my walls and I'm even clear about the position of rudder posts on some sailboats. This is clearly the educational thread. Thank you all.
smile.gif

One of my favorites: "Dolphin striker"

Sport boats stored in racks at marinas are also "splashed", whenever lowered to the water, year round in the South.

Steve W

skipperdude wrote:nomadwilly wrote:
*I'd add that the ceiling on a boat or ship is called the "overhead".
*It is called the overhead but Peggy's response is correct.

The wording of the question is vague... If you're asking "what is the correct name for the ceiling in the cabin of a boat," then the correct answer is "overhead."*

However, if you're asking what the TERM "ceiling" means when applied to a boat (which is how I interpreted it), the correct answer is, planking used ANYWHERE in the interior of a ship.

*Re ketch vs. yawl...* The easy way to recognize the difference:

Y'all will know if it's a yawl if the helm is ahead of the main mast...the catch if it's a ketch is that you have be able to see around the main mast.

-- Edited by HeadMistress on Wednesday 20th of April 2011 10:46:05 AM

Y'all will know if it's a yawl if the helm is ahead of the main mast...the catch if it's a ketch is that you have be able to see around the main mast.

*Peggie, I always thought on a yawl that the mizzen mast is stepped at or behind the rudder post.* That would put the steering behind the main mast.* i think that a ketch has its steering near or behind the mizzen mast..* I will qualify this by saying that I have never been a sailor.* Just what I thought.

I think she meant main mast....

Now how about "afterberth"???? I always make sure I overuse that term with newbies aboard....

Sorry guys it's not the ceiling or overhead it's the deckhead.
Propellers are props.
Not screws , that is a coarse term for something else.

Benn

Some marine terminology sounds humorous to me, like:

gash fanny

futtocks

midshipman's nuts

reduced cat

baggy wrinkle

Good ones Mark. Never heard of most of them.

How about some definitions.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 20th of April 2011 03:41:19 PM

Gash Fanny Refuse container or dustbin.
Futtocks Pieces of timber that make up a large transverse frame.
Midshipman's nuts Broken pieces of biscuit as dessert.
Reduced cat A light version on the cat o'nine tails for use on boys; also called "boys' pussy".
Baggywrinkle A soft covering for cables (or any other obstructions) that prevents sail chafing from occurring.

Kicking strap, aka boom vang*

Barber hauler, aka tweaker

Ben,

I think propellers were screws before they were propellers and if you look in some history books the early props/screws you'll actually see how they looked like a wood screw. Did'nt have blades. Surely you've heard of "twin screws". Ever heard of a twin prop boat??

nomadwilly wrote:
Ben,

I think propellers were screws before they were propellers and if you look in some history books the early props/screws you'll actually see how they looked like a wood screw. Did'nt have blades. Surely you've heard of "twin screws". Ever heard of a twin prop boat??
*when I imported my trawler from Tiawan she was listed on her papers as the "Oil Screw China Doll".* Of course, China Doll being the name on her documentation.

Bendit wrote:Kicking strap, aka boom vang*
Barber hauler, aka tweaker
*Barber hauler from the dinky one design boats.* Replaced with adjustable sliding fair lead cars on the bigger boats.

Boomvangs have mostly gone solid now but still line on the smaller boats.

The one I really like "moonraker".* Top most square sail on a fully rigged*sailing ship above the sky sail.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Thursday 21st of April 2011 07:54:49 AM

Moonstruck wrote:

*Peggie, I always thought on a yawl that the mizzen mast is stepped at or behind the rudder post.* That would put the steering behind the main mast.* i think that a ketch has its steering near or behind the mizzen mast..* I will qualify this by saying that I have never been a sailor.* Just what I thought.

*The difference between a yawl and a ketch is strictly dictated by the mizzen (after) mast relationship with the rudderpost. With the mizzen mast behind the rudder post, you have a yawl. With the mizzen mast forward of the rudder post, you have a ketch. Generally the rudder post is directly below the steering station, but with hydraulic (and some other types) steering the wheel (steering, not prop) can be located anywhere on the boat.

Don't get me started on schooners.*

And "topsides" refers to what on a boat?

Moonstruck wrote:
The one I really like "moonraker".* Top most square sail on a fully rigged*sailing ship above the sky sail.

*Mr. Moon.**Methinks you are just enamored with anything that has your name in it.

SD

Old Stone wrote:skipperdude wrote:

Moonstruck wrote:

*Mr. Moon.**Methinks you are just enamored with anything that has your name in it.

SD

Wow, I don't recall that many things having the name Don in them!
no.gif

-- Edited by Old Stone on Friday 22nd of April 2011 12:43:36 PM

*Carl, remember, you made me do this.

People
<ul>[*]Don (given name), a short form of the masculine given name Donald in English, also a masculine given name in Irish[*]Don (honorific), a Spanish, Portuguese and Italian title, given as a mark of respect[*]Don, a crime boss[*]University don, in British universities, traditionally, a head, fellow or tutor of a college[*]A resident assistant at universities in Canada and the USA[/list]
And*of course there is always "The Donald".*

Skipperdude, you seem to have the same habit as I of changing avatars frequently.* I think it is refreshing.

Back
Top Bottom