Propane Refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guru,

You asked about the Vitrifrigo. It was special ordered through Sure Marine in Seattle. My wife made the purchase. I think it's 4 cubic feet of volume (small freezer above with good size refrigerator.)*Like most modern refrigerators, it consumes less power than older models (4.5 amps), is well insulated, and has an auto switch feature that self selects between AC and DC. The default mode is 120V AC. It's been running 24/7 since July 2007, with no complaints from the Admiral!

Attachments

• galley.jpg
    galley.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 79
nwboater wrote:
Guru,

You asked about the Vitrifrigo. It was special ordered through Sure Marine in Seattle. My wife made the purchase. I think it's 4 cubic feet of volume (small freezer above with good size refrigerator.)*Like most modern refrigerators, it consumes less power than older models (4.5 amps), is well insulated, and has an auto switch feature that self selects between AC and DC. The default mode is 120V AC. It's been running 24/7 since July 2007, with no complaints from the Admiral!
*Thanks

*Bump*

Any further thoughts/developments since 2011 in the world of propane refrigeration?

None that I've seen, but I also haven't been watching. I think since none of the previously existing products meet the "sealed combustion chamber" requirement in ABYC, few people are likely to use them in boats, and it's just too small a market to design something new and expect customers to deal with the direct venting requirements.

Just checked our brand new insurers policy, and propane refrigerators were the only propane appliance/item singled out for exclusion. Oh well...the 20% saved on boat insurance with the new company will easily pay for the diesel to charge up the batteries :D

Will still scour about for more modern/efficient solutions so we can stay out longer...

Murry,

My experience the last couple of years leans me towards a 250/300 Watt solar arrray with wheel chair AGM batts running a fridge/freezer. That comes from real-time experience with similar installed in a van that has run off-line for 2 years, beer was always cold.

I want what you want too, frozen/fresh choices up to the end of your Island next summer without listening to a genny, so that I might extend my visit to your wonderful/bountiful country!

I just replaced my 2 way Norcold. Also often called a "not cold" with a whirlpool that fit same location. Norcold replacement cost $1,500. Whirlpool $300 ant it works excellent. I added a point of use inverter to the old dc power connection.

Back
Top Bottom