shore power issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calimari

Veteran Member
I have a 44 Atlantic . I am having a problem when hooked up to shore power. We have a heart freedom 2500 inverter-charger and a 8kw phasor genset. Everthing works normaly when inverter is on or generator. When hooked up to shore power we get power to distribution panel, but when you turn selector switch to shore powerI get power to A/c side, but nothing to side that inverter feeds. I can hear a click come from inverter about every 30 second. Charger is also not working on shore power.Seems to me the inverter is not transferring load through it on shore power, even though it transfers load on genset and charger operates. Any ideas? Thanks:banghead:

Check the breaker or fuse that supplies power from the panel (120 volt ac) to the inverter / charger. The unit runs off 12 volts DC. So the display being on is not an indication of 120 ac being present.

Ted

You have 3 ac power sources, gen, inverter and shore, and they have to be kept separate from each other. It sounds like the main panel ac selector, shore or boat is wired inverter and gen. So either shore is just wired to the air conditioning or there is another selctor switch to select shore or inverter.

The eagle has a selector switch under the helm to select shore or inverter.

Are you using the Power Share feature of your Inverter? I have a 2500 and it has the ability to powershare. Sounds like that is what is happening to you.

Thanks for all the thoughts, as always look for the simple things first. The Wire that supplies 120 volts to charger had a plug in it so inverter could be removed with out disconnecting wiring. Plug was corroded, cleaned it up and everything works fine. Thanks again

Thanks for all the thoughts, as always look for the simple things first. The Wire that supplies 120 volts to charger had a plug in it so inverter could be removed with out disconnecting wiring. Plug was corroded, cleaned it up and everything works fine. Thanks again

If I understood your original explanation of the problem, everything worked while on genset. But didn't genset power the charger through that same wire / plug? If so, how could it work then but not while on shore power?

I'm not sure if a new topic would be better, but here goes.....
I've got a GB 49, 1983, and my selector switch is malfunctioning. Two electricians found shore power, either aft ir forward, is hot, but nothing gets through the switch, and no AC!!

Part#RXLS5103, 63A, 3 pole switch. Manufacturer Craig & Derricott from Walsall Wood England.

Any advice where I can get the same item?

I'm not sure if a new topic would be better, but here goes.....
I've got a GB 49, 1983, and my selector switch is malfunctioning. Two electricians found shore power, either aft ir forward, is hot, but nothing gets through the switch, and no AC!!

I thought these switches almost never failed but mine did on the way to Alaska a couple weeks ago. Gen could be selected but shore power was dead. The switch was the culprit. Can't help you with a brand or model number - I had an electrician replace it in Ketchikan. All fine now and enjoying the rain in Wrangell AK.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom