River Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larrylwill

I just moved near the Tennessee river. I have lived in Miami and had power boats and a motor sailer. I want a boat to cruse the river which can take me to Florida and the Great Lakes. I want something something easy on fuel crusing at 5-7 knots, preferbally with sails and decent room to live abord for extended trips, 1-2 months. We have a 21ft Class B motorhome (van conversion) so were used to tight quarters.*

I dont hava lot to spend $20,000 so Im expcting a project boat, I have built a house and am remodeling this one. I have also done some fiberglass work.*

I really think a shallow draft trawler is what we would like. I like the Willard 30. Would most likely be a 70's model at that price.

I know I can get a motor sailboat but we dont like living below water for crusing and no pilot house.

I would like suggestions and comments on my choice or something else.

Things to look at: Nimble wanderer, C-DORY. these might be too expensive but maybe not. Albin made a cool 26~27 foot trawler that would fit the bill. None of these except the Nimble have sails. But if you are planning on heading up to the great lakes, there are a few low bridges in Chicago that you will not fit under with a mast.

Some of the Albins Delux had sails, more interested in heading back to Florida and up to Chattagonaga and Kentucky. There are a lot of large lakes to see. The Tennessee river vally has 625 miles of river and 7309 miles of shoreline. The biggest problem is I can not find any trawlers around here, they all seem to be up north or on the west coast, those in Fla tend to cost more. I have found a couple of project boats up north but I would have to drive up and look and have them transported here. I can find many motor sailboats cheap but I want a Trawler with sails I think every since I saw one at the Miami boate show in 1973. Possibly a Willard.

Here is an Albin with sails but its in Alaska, a little far from Alabama.

http://www.marineclassifiedads.com/southeast+alaska-rs878/trawler.yachts.forsale-c11/ad1933.html

We kept our Albin 25 Motorsailor in Maple Bay on Vancouver Island until we sold it in 2009. The buyer drove up from Florida, purchased a trailer in Tacoma, arrived at Maple Bay, sea trialed it, loaded it up, and drove it back to Florida.

Sometimes distance isn't such a big thing I guess.

Having a boat with a mast is a huge downer for something like the loop.

Either it has to be on a purpose built boat with tiny mast in a tabernackle or luchet or it is lashed on deck.* UGH!

AS the mast on any boat that sails well will usually be 10+ ft longer than the boat , its a hassle in the many locks.

Leaving it "home" is usually the best solution.

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/2330066857.html (boats)

This is mine , and for sale , If you want a boat that can later run in the blue water.

She came across the pond on her own bottom , and is ready for most any destination, should you wish.

-- Edited by FF on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 04:12:03 AM

The Tennessee River is great for cruising but not sailing.* Restricted, twisting channels and undependable wind.* Much of it is sheltered by hills and mountains.* You can spend much time exploring its lakes.* To me Pickwick and Watts Bar are the most beautiful.

Chattanooga is a great cruising stop with most everything including about 50 restaurants within walking distance.* I live a block from the waterfront.* Give me a shout if coming this way.

The Albin 25 with an aft cabin seems a good choice.* Masts are a problem on the canals and in Chicago as well as costing time for bridge openings.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 06:03:54 AM

Larry,
Welcome to the TN River! What section of the river do you live near? We keep our Monk 36 up in the Chattanooga area. Don's 110% right- power boat is the only way to go on the river system. No winds, surrounded by hills, narrow channels, etc. If you had a sailboat up here or motorsailer, you'd be powering 99.99% of the time. If it were me, in your budget, I'd probably be on the hunt for the older model Mainship 34 trawler- nice lines, usually single screw for fuel efficiency, and good layout for her size. Prices right now are in the mid $20's or so. There are a few such boats on the market right now on the TN River system in that price range.

Larry,* I** 2nd the Mainship 34 trawler-* a nice size boat for the money.* Very practical design.

JohnP

FF wrote:

Either it has to be on a purpose built boat with tiny mast in a tabernackle or luchet or it is lashed on deck.* UGH!

AS the mast on any boat that sails well will usually be 10+ ft longer than the boat , its a hassle in the many locks.

This is mine , and for sale , If you want a boat that can later run in the blue water.

She came across the pond on her own bottom , and is ready for most any destination, should you wish.

Nice but I can find sailboats all day at the price I want to pay, Thank you though.

Besides Im not looking to run the loop although I may somday but just to do it no.

-- Edited by larrylwill on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 09:33:33 AM

Woodsong wrote:
Larry,
Welcome to the TN River! What section of the river do you live near? We keep our Monk 36 up in the Chattanooga area. Don's 110% right- power boat is the only way to go on the river system. No winds, surrounded by hills, narrow channels, etc. If you had a sailboat up here or motorsailer, you'd be powering 99.99% of the time. If it were me, in your budget, I'd probably be on the hunt for the older model Mainship 34 trawler- nice lines, usually single screw for fuel efficiency, and good layout for her size. Prices right now are in the mid $20's or so. There are a few such boats on the market right now on the TN River system in that price range.
*On the bluff overlooking The Jackson county marina. A30 miles by road to Guntersville to the south. 40 miles to Chattagonaga to the north. I realize there is not much sailing but there are the lakes and it would be nice for backup and crusing downwind which I see on the river all the time, depending on which way one is going. There also nice to steady the boat.

JohnP wrote:
Larry,* I** 2nd the Mainship 34 trawler-* a nice size boat for the money.* Very practical design.

JohnP

*Thank you, how does one find boats around here? Cregslist is bare and I have checked many marinas in guntersville. Is there a liat of brokers in the south east?

superdiver wrote:
I got my used project 34" Californian for 25K, in good running condition, just multiple minor projects... I have seen them for less, and i use less then 4 gal per hour at 7.5 knots

*Im looking for something in the 0.5gph at 5-7 knots. The Williard will do that. However thats diesel, I guess yours is gas?

Larry,

The Willard 30 has a 3.5' draft so it's not a good river boat and you'd NOT find one in decent condition for 20K. I had an Albin 25 before the Willard and say that it is a WONDERFUL boat and I highly recommend them but they draw 2'2". With much more room, stability and probably less draft I suggest you look at a Sundowner 30 if you can find one. For an inboard boat in the speed range you specify I can't think of one better. I know a fellow in the Midwest that has one. I'll see if I can connect the two of you** ...if you like. Forget the Nordic Tug 26 as they are more expensive than the Willard.

Larry- I just sent you a private message here on this site- check your inbox. :)

90% of the boats I see on the river and the marinias are either fishing boats (small) or sailboats drawing 4-5ft. I see barges everyday. Acording to what I read aboout the river it is plenty deep enough for 4-5 ft drat boats.The marinas are full of sailboats. I suppose if I wanted to go in the smaller side rivers that would be true though.

-- Edited by larrylwill on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 12:09:06 PM

larrylwill wrote:FF wrote:

Nice but I can find sailboats all day at the price I want to pay, Thank you though.

-- Edited by larrylwill on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 09:33:33 AM

*Then don't ask for our opinion and just get a sailboat.

*I asked for opinions yes, but I didnt *say I didnt have one of my own, and everyone didn't critize the mast. I do not intend to go under short bridges and have no plans to run the loop. So the mast is moot.

As I said earlier I do not want a sail boat, Im just saying there plentiful around here. You must have missed that.

*"I can get a motor sailboat but we dont like living below water for crusing and no pilot house."

I may or may not look*for one with a sail, thats why I asked for opinions.

However:

"Then don't ask for our opinion and just get a sailboat."

Thank you for the snide remark, Im sure you think I deserved that. Had a bad day or are you always that way?

Hi Larry,

Don't remember Fotoman sling'in stit before but I agree it was uncalled for.

Suggestion,

Go to our home page and click on the YachtWorld link. The only time I had a sail boat was in San Diego where there was no place to go so I just sailed around Mission Bay racing other sailboats. This link is a "sticky" so it's always there. Have fun.

I have been searching yachtworld but so far all thats available within 500 miles are sailboats, and let me say again, I do not want a sailboat.
If I have to settle for a sailboat I would like a shoal draft and it would be nice if I could reduce the mast and add smaller sails. I will keep looking for a small trawler, 2nd choice would be a motor cruiser with small engine or blown single engine and add a 20-30hp diesel.

thank you.

"Im looking for something in the 0.5gph at 5-7 knots. "

Its the Albin or nothing but a converted sail hull.

The power boat assembilers create live on , rather than live in boats for the increased volume.

BUT ,,the cost (in any size) is efficiency. 1/2 gph at 4-5K can be done , in a 20 ft size ,7K, not with current diesel tech.

Do you want a gas or diesel?

The gas will be 40% higher fuel bills but perhaps 1/3 the overall cost of ownership if maint is included.

Hey Larry - I'm the guy in the midwest with the Sundowner Tug that Eric referred to. I'd be more than happy to talk SD30's with you if you decide to go that direction. Great little boats and would definitely fit your bill.

Chip

FF wrote:
"Im looking for something in the 0.5gph at 5-7 knots. "

Its the Albin or nothing but a converted sail hull.

The power boat assembilers create live on , rather than live in boats for the increased volume.

BUT ,,the cost (in any size) is efficiency. 1/2 gph at 4-5K can be done , in a 20 ft size ,7K, not with current diesel tech.

Do you want a gas or diesel?

The gas will be 40% higher fuel bills but perhaps 1/3 the overall cost of ownership if maint is included.

*The Albin was the first boat I thought would fit but the only one I could find in my range was in Alaska and she had everything. Then I started looking at alternitives. The Williard 30 gets 1/2gph at 5-6 knots acording to 2 write ups I read and one person I talked to. I also found a 32 Beneteau and called the owner and he claims he got *0.4gph at 4-6 knots.*

I prefer *desiel. Someone mentioned running a desiel at low rpms would ruin the engine in time. They need to meet my old farm tractor 1954 model with small desiel always ran low rpms almost every day and all it ever needed was a filter change.

I had someone else tell me that I couldnt cruse the river with that or a sailboat or the Willard because the draft is too great. 3.6 for the willard 4.5 for the Beneyeau and 3.5-6 for most sailboats. Then I see in every marinia I have been to 6 so far in Guntersburg and here are *90% sailboats. Up to 45 ft and I have talked to many owners and they dont seem to agree.

I will still focus on an Albin Delux 25. As for sails, what I have read is trawlers roll a lot and the sails help in steadying the boat and with the wind to your back make better gph. With all the lakes espically Guntersburg so close, Weekend sails would be a nice get away.
<h1 style="color:#0b3862;font-size:18px;margin-top:5px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:5px;margin-left:0px;">*</h1>
<h1 style="color:#0b3862;font-size:18px;margin-top:5px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:5px;margin-left:0px;">*</h1>

Chip:

*Thank you but Im afraid were not ready to invest the money it would require to purchase a Sundowner, maybe if we got on the *water with something else first and the wife got into it then. When we lived in Miami she got seasick everytime we went into the ocean so she is still a little skiddish about this idea even though we will be sticking to rivers and lakes.

larrylwill wrote:
I had someone else tell me that I couldnt cruse the river with that or a sailboat or the Willard because the draft is too great. 3.6 for the willard 4.5 for the Beneyeau and 3.5-6 for most sailboats. Then I see in every marinia I have been to 6 so far in Guntersburg and here are *90% sailboats. Up to 45 ft and I have talked to many owners and they dont seem to agree.

I will still focus on an Albin Delux 25. As for sails, what I have read is trawlers roll a lot and the sails help in steadying the boat and with the wind to your back make better gph. With all the lakes espically Guntersburg so close, Weekend sails would be a nice get away.
I cruised the Tennessee River for 6 years on a 36' trawler with a 4' draft.* No problem.* Guntersville*Lake is one of*if not the shallowest on the system.* Of course, if you stay in the channel,you are fine.* Just be very careful venturing out of the channel.* It*also has*aquatic weeds in many of the shallow sections.* I wouldn't worry*too much about anything with up to a*4' draft.

Have you thought about something maybe with a small 4 cycle outboard engine.* Maybe something like a Roseboro or C-Dory.* I'm not sure about the price, but I have seen them in many coastal anchorages.* In a small boat the 4 cycle outboad makes sense to me.* Economical, easy to service, and fairly easy on fuel.*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom