Battery charging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
First off I'm totally in the dark on this . When I got to the boat today I notice the batteries were low and the charger wasn't on . I turned the charger on and this is what it's reading after about 10 minutes . I must have turned charger off when I left the other day. I thought the charger came on automatically when needed . When on shore power does the charger need to be on and lit up ? From the picture is this the way I need to leave the boat when away and does this look normal? I've have got to get a better understanding on batteries and charging. :facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG_2403.jpg
    IMG_2403.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 74
10 minutes later

Attachments

• IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2407.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 71
The charger will not come on if it's turned off. :D

The readings pictured appear normal.

Thanks I was worried it would overcharge . The boats been on the hard for three months and I couldn't remember. But crap I just forgot my PIN number on my bank card the other day . I just went completely blank . No more surgeries that require anesthesia for me .:nonono:

It looks like it just topped off the charge after the charger was off, but I would think the "10" amp LED would be off and the "<10" amp LED only would be on. Is there is a load on the DC like a refrig or a couple of light bulbs?

Ok one more question. When I'm running the boat I'm usually running the generator also . I have my std alternator on the engine plus a high output alternator. Should I turn the charger off while running and let the two alternators do their thing ?

Ok one more question. When I'm running the boat I'm usually running the generator also . I have my std alternator on the engine plus a high output alternator. Should I turn the charger off while running and let the two alternators do their thing ?

I would turn the charger off.

But many chargers sense that the alternators are feeding the batteries and do not come on when the engines are running.

It looks like it just topped off the charge after the charger was off, but I would think the "10" amp LED would be off and the "<10" amp LED only would be on. Is there is a load on the DC like a refrig or a couple of light bulbs?
The "10"amp LED is on and off about every two seconds .Everything off on D.C. Side . I think it has always done this .

Last edited:
That means it is on float charge right around 10 amps. Your manual will state the amps that the charger transitions to float. Sounds like 10 amps. If so then normal.

That means it is on float charge right around 10 amps. Your manual will state the amps that the charger transitions to float. Sounds like 10 amps. If so then normal.
Thanks I dug out the manual. I'll look at it when I get home .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom