Source for O Rings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
I'm servicing the intercoolers on my Yanmar 4LHA-STPs and planning on replacing the O-Rings and Gaskets. The OEM O-Rings from Yanmar are $22 each, there are three of them. $112 for 6 rubber O-Rings seems extreme. Anyone got a suggestion of a source for O-Rings that I could sub?

Thanks,
Doug

Any industrial bearing supply or hydraulic repair shop.
If you're ordering from mc c you'd best have calipers handy to confirm measurements before ordering.

Thanks guys. Exactly what I was looking for.

Most auto parts stores or hydraulic shops will have many sizes bring the old one for them to match. Last week I bought some to replace the O'rings in my fuel filler deck plates, the price, $.52 each.

If you have an odd size, hydraulic and air shops have o-ring material on big spools and can make them any size. I have used thick ones for port gaskets when there were no originals to be found.

you can buy a whole assortment frm harbor freight for 11 $ there is many diff. sizes,

Caution! There are O rings and there are O rings. Recall Richard Feynman and the shuttle Challenger failure investigation.

McMaster-Carr X whatever it is by now.

Just keep in mind that I-rings shrink, swell, and distort with use and exposure to fluids etc. The dimensions measured off an old O-ring are seldom what's needed for new o-ring. Taking the thing the o-ring fits in is ideal if possible.

Yeah, that seems to be the rub, spend $88 per engine for three O-Rings worth about $1 each but know they fit, or do the labor of finding aftermarket O-rings.

I don't want to start thread creep in my own thread, but marine engine companies really bug me with stuff like this. I don't mind Yanmar making some money on parts but when they give you a royal screw job like this it really makes you want to avoid buying from them. How about pricing the rings at $10 a piece? They still acheive a ridiculous profit margin but I'll pay it. When they take it too far I just don't buy that part from them at all, so they get nothing.

I just replaced my air filters, a little foam ring about 2 inches wide and 12 inches in diameter, $33. Geez.

It's not the money so much, I can afford the $88, it's the principal.

Volvo wanted four bucks a piece for 1" O-rings. I bought 100 of them from McMaster-Carr for seven dollars.

Yeah, that seems to be the rub, spend $88 per engine for three O-Rings worth about $1 each but know they fit, or do the labor of finding aftermarket O-rings.

I don't want to start thread creep in my own thread, but marine engine companies really bug me with stuff like this. I don't mind Yanmar making some money on parts but when they give you a royal screw job like this it really makes you want to avoid buying from them. How about pricing the rings at $10 a piece? They still acheive a ridiculous profit margin but I'll pay it. When they take it too far I just don't buy that part from them at all, so they get nothing.

I just replaced my air filters, a little foam ring about 2 inches wide and 12 inches in diameter, $33. Geez.

It's not the money so much, I can afford the $88, it's the principal.

I tend to agree. There is profit margin. There is HUGE profit margin. Then there is rape and pillage.

That said, when I was in the product business we always looked at the cost of a "null product", i.e. the cost for a product where the BOM (bill of materials) was zero. It forced us to look at the coast of creating product part numbers, packaging, shipping, logistics, stocking and distribution, adding something to the price list - basically all the overhead associated with introducing, selling, and supporting a product. It's a non-trivial cost, and a good test of your operational efficiency.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom