Finally Heading South

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The pics make me jealous!!!! More play and less work is what I need. Hard to kick back on the boat and enjoy when so much needs to be done. Sigh.........I'll live vicariously through your pics for now. Enjoy!

Everything in moderation. Take it out some and play with it. It's much easier to work on the boat while you think about how much you enjoy using it. All work and no play makes you loose interest.

Ted

This thread is torture. You're out there really living it while I'm stuck with condo rental projects. Meanwhile, my boat stands in it's stall like an neglected horse. :banghead::banghead:

Don't worry, I'll be there soon to help you with that (NOT the condo projects ).

Ted,
When will you be on the west coast? We hope to make Mobile, AL next week, and if all goes as plan, over to St Petersburg by the middle of November. Tracking gulf weather now to judge the pattern.
Only two more locks to do!
We do not have a marina confirmed yet in St. Petersburg so we might end up down in Ft. Myers for the winter.

Henry,
I'll be there for a few days in the middle of November, first half of December, and from the 1st of the year though March.

Ted

Hell Gate the same after Hurricane Matthew like last year?

No change that I could see to Hell gate. Went through at mid tide and think there was 8'+.

Ted

Last edited:
Hanging a left at Thunderbolt and going out Warsaw Sound (Wilmington River) then back in at St Catherines is a nice pretty trip and avoids Hell Gate and IMO the least scenic section of the otherwise quite scenic Georgia ICW. And you arrive right at the very pretty Walburg Creek anchorage if you want to call it a day.

Tonight's sunset pictures are from Cumberland Sound, GA.

20161028_183430.jpg

20161028_182624.jpg

20161028_183934.jpg

Larry, it's time to fire Bucky up and find an anchorage with sunsets.

Ted

A sad day today. We connected with Ted at Great Bridge in Chesapeake VA. Traveled to the same anchorages and marinas all the way to Brunswick GA. Ted, my wife Jackie and I had dinner together every night--either on our boat Magic or in a restaurant. Today we went our separate ways as we have different destinations now. It's dinner time on Magic and we miss you Ted.

Thanks Howard! Please tell Jackie, Marie Callender just doesn't do it like she can. :cry:

Ted

Sunrise overlooking Cumberland Island, GA.

20161029_073432.jpg

20161029_074748.jpg

Ted

Last edited:
Sunrise overlooking Cumberland Island, GA.

Ted

Did you go ashore and walk the Atlantic side, pretty awesome.

You should plan on anchoring in the Fort George River, just a smidge past the Plantation. Unfortunately you are hitting it on a weekend day!

Last edited:

You should plan on anchoring in the Fort George River, just a smidge past the Plantation. Unfortunately you are hotting it on a weekend day!

Going to hang here for a few days and explore. My insurance says not in FL till November 1st. The island partially reopened yesterday after being closed from hurricane Matthew damage.

Ted

Spent 10 days on Cumberland Island a couple of years ago staying in a house owned by a friend of my wife. Interesting place to explore. Watch out for those nasty sand spurs.

You should plan on anchoring in the Fort George River, just a smidge past the Plantation. Unfortunately you are hitting it on a weekend day!

Was planning to anchor in the area near the Kingsley plantation to do some kayaking. Maybe a side trip to the fort if time permits.

Ted

Was planning to anchor in the area near the Kingsley plantation to do some kayaking. Maybe a side trip to the fort if time permits.

Ted

There is no fort there, just the plantation. Great kayaking, but head up Simpson's Creek for the best kayaking, or keep to the right (south bank) all the way east through the river, not as busy as the Little Talbot side. You can also head back out into the ICW and turn into the dozens of creeks off there.

Spent the day on Cumberland Island National Park, walking the ruins of Dungeness, the island forest, and the ocean beach. The docks are still closed for repairs from hurricane Matthew. So I kayaked to shore, climbed the 7' bulkhead, and then walked about 8 to 10 miles around the southern end of the island. The island has a very interesting history and is almost enchanting to walk through. The ruins are impressive. The ocean beach is maybe 200 yards wide at low tide between the water and the base of the dunes. The sand below the high tide level is hard as pavement and thus very easy to walk on. Many of the inland trails, boardwalks, and roads are canopied by trees which makes it pleasant to walk on a warm sunny day. Bring your bug spray. If you're cruising the AICW in this area, it's definitely worth a days stop.

Slow Hand waiting patiently in the anchorage next to the Seacamp dock.

20161029_114851.jpg

The ruins of Dungeness.

20161029_125308.jpg

20161029_125623.jpg

20161029_125849.jpg

20161029_124714.jpg

The feral horses of the island. Keep a safe distance.

20161029_125706.jpg

20161029_132558.jpg

Canopied boardwalk and interesting trees.

20161029_140654.jpg

20161029_140709.jpg

Ted

Last sunset on Cumberland Sound. Heading South in the morning. Pretty glassy here this evening. A Nordy and a bunch sailboats behind me.

20161030_183313.jpg

2 Manatees, a Viking, a pair of go fasts, and 3 sailboats ahead.

20161030_183346.jpg

Tough way to end another cruising day. :dance:

20161030_183240.jpg

20161030_183702.jpg

Ted

Glad you are enjoying the trip. We are anchored at Serenity Island in Vero. Tomorrow our trip comes to an end in Stuart FL. BTW, we did anchor at Pine Island rather than downtown St. Augustine. Very nice, thanks for the tip.

Glad you are enjoying the trip. We are anchored at Serenity Island in Vero. Tomorrow our trip comes to an end in Stuart FL. BTW, we did anchor at Pine Island rather than downtown St. Augustine. Very nice, thanks for the tip.

How far behind Pine Island did you go, just off the ICW or way back in there?

There is no fort there, just the plantation. Great kayaking, but head up Simpson's Creek for the best kayaking, or keep to the right (south bank) all the way east through the river, not as busy as the Little Talbot side. You can also head back out into the ICW and turn into the dozens of creeks off there.

Looks like I'll have 2 half days for the plantation and some kayaking. Certainly looks like you could spend weeks kayaking there.

Nice photos. Glad you enjoyed it.

You would enjoy this read, especially about the horses! :)

Memorial Day Holiday Weekend 2016 | AtAnchor.com

Hmmm, maybe that needs a PG13 rating for content. :rolleyes:

Was wondering how you were making out. Glad you made your time line. Pine Island is one of my favorite anchorages. Hope to see you all when I turn the corner in Stuart.

How far behind Pine Island did you go, just off the ICW or way back in there?

Water behind the island gets skinny at low tide. Think you could get caught there and have to wait for a rising tide. Lots of oysters on the bottom there not mud necessarily if you bump. Have tried a couple of times to come in from the North, but keep running out of water.

Ted

Water behind the island gets skinny at low tide. Think you could get caught there and have to wait for a rising tide. Lots of oysters on the bottom there not mud necessarily if you bump. Have tried a couple of times to come in from the North, but keep running out of water.

Ted

The locals always enter from the south, and plenty go about two thirds the way around - including sailboats. I guess when there is a westerly.

I went in about 150 yards. It was at low tide. I was joined by Seaquell who went about 50 yards further in. Pleasant night.

The oxbow east of Pine Is. can be entered from the north carrying 3-4 feet of draft, but only on a positive tide. At that, the channel is rather narrow & shifty at the entrance. On a low tide, even my Shoal Cat has trouble finding the sweet spot. The south entrance is vastly more user-friendly. One of my favorite Florida anchorages on the east-coast ICW.

I too think Pine Island is a great anchorage, but NOT pet friendly!

It's also tough to stop half way between JAX and St Augustine. There is just so much to do and see in America's Oldest City, that one wants to go on and enjoy that little city!

Ted: Looks like you're the first guy I know of to ever come across two North Sea Manatees on the ICW. That example closest to you at the anchorage was one of the two others between here and Maryland.

Weather is turning nice over here now and so far the Red Tide has not come back in full force. Probably begin work on Bucky again on Tuesday. Been doing work on the condos all summer. Welcome to Florida!

Several of the Bayfront restaurants flooded but most if not all have reopened. Caps (North Beach) reopened a couple of days ago.

How about the martini bar?

Sunrise from the confluence of the Ortega and St Johns rivers.

20161107_064622.jpg

Like the song says, "Another tank of gas, back on the road again".

Ted

Back
Top Bottom