View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 01:02 AM   #98
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
What a bad experience but I'm very pleased that Volvo has stepped up to the plate, as they certainly could have done otherwise.

Backing up a moment. You said a stock boat with 30 hours on it in November 2012 when you took possession. Had it never been registered or titled? How did it get 30 hours?

Why do I ask? A lot can happen in the first 30 hours of engine use. Go out and run them for long periods at WOT or don't vary the speed or any number of other things contrary to appropriate break-in procedures. Now, you'd think most of that would show up in other ways, but who knows. I also suspect yours are not the only time Volvo has encountered this issue, but they may not know why either.

Do be careful with the new engines and very carefully follow break in recommendations from the owner's manual. Hopefully, you'll have a long enjoyable time with them.

I compliment Volvo, but I also compliment you on your handling of this. You made it easy for them to do the right thing. You approached them in a non-confrontational way, doing what was necessary to give them the chance to respond honorably. You didn't assume they would refuse to help you, but gave them the benefit of the doubt as long as they didn't show themselves not to deserve it. Fortunately, they never showed that. Instead, they worked with you. They're out a lot of dollars, you're out a lot of time and pleasure. You both had a very unpleasant situation, but it would have been a whole lot worse had either you or them not responded in the manner you did.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote