Waaaahhh, I want our boat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Guru
For the past 24 or so years, I/We have had a boat.
I've had boating projects and responsibilities for the entire time. This year we have traded our sailboat in toward our new not-yet-finished boat and I am simply lost.
I don't know what to do!
No winterizing, no late fall cruises, no planning of updates and maintenance!
Yes, I know, I really have nothing to complain about but I feel so strange, so incomplete.
Sigh,
Bruce

For the past 24 or so years, I/We have had a boat.
I've had boating projects and responsibilities for the entire time. This year we have traded our sailboat in toward our new not-yet-finished boat and I am simply lost.
I don't know what to do!
No winterizing, no late fall cruises, no planning of updates and maintenance!
Yes, I know, I really have nothing to complain about but I feel so strange, so incomplete.
Sigh,
Bruce

If you are seeking for job I have something like 120 things to do in my list. It would be a pleasure for me to hand you my toolbox :D

If you are seeking for job I have something like 120 things to do in my list. It would be a pleasure for me to hand you my toolbox :D

It isn't that I have nothing to do...rather it is the lack of "right now" boat projects that is so strange.
Send me your list! I can live vicariously..
Bruce

Greetings,
M. L_t. Merde! You beat me to it. I also have a "list"...

For the non Francophone members of the audience, merde means...

giphy.gif

Sort of...

Its like, when I was a child, waiting forever for the mailman to deliver your secret decoder ring.

We always used to wonder what people do that don't have boats.....now you know!!!....or maybe you don't!!!....;)

We always used to wonder what people do that don't have boats.....now you know!!!....or maybe you don't!!!....;)

Problem is, we have been there...and we're just dumb enough to jump in again!
This is so on point...
Bruce

It's not gotten really bad yet. When you start offering to help your boating buddies winterize their boats, that's when you've reached certifiable.

Ted

It's not gotten really bad yet. When you start offering to help your boating buddies winterize their boats, that's when you've reached certifiable.

Ted

I spent my working life maintaining European autos...
Most of my "buddies" won't allow me on their boats as I can't help "diagnosing" issues... I'm kind of fussy...
No one wants to know!
Bruce

Greetings,
Mr. Bruce. Re: post #9. I certainly was NOT making fun of your pain which I can acutely sense through the electronic ethers. I was merely expressing MY disappointment that M. L_t beat me by a good hour with his offer to allow you to work on HIS boat to ease your pain. That M. L_t is a TRUE humanitarian.

Its like, when I was a child, waiting forever for the mailman to deliver your secret decoder ring.

Boaters have no patience for patience. For years I waited for my ship to come in, and when it finally did, it anchored ten feet from the dock...:ermm:

Greetings,
Mr. Bruce. Re: post #9. I certainly was NOT making fun of your pain which I can acutely sense through the electronic ethers. I was merely expressing MY disappointment that M. L_t beat me by a good hour with his offer to allow you to work on HIS boat to ease your pain. That M. L_t is a TRUE humanitarian.

Damned it! I have been uncovered, Mr Firefly you are too much for me! :socool:

It isn't that I have nothing to do...rather it is the lack of "right now" boat projects that is so strange.
Send me your list! I can live vicariously..
Bruce

Ah, well....just suck it up, and dream about the fact you are going to take delivery of a NEW boat, made to YOUR order, and something the vast majority of us will never experience. Does that help..? :socool:

Ah, well....just suck it up, and dream about the fact you are going to take delivery of a NEW boat, made to YOUR order, and something the vast majority of us will never experience. Does that help..? :socool:

Believe me, I realize just how lucky I am!
That doesn't stop me from feeling lost though. There is a reality to having a boat to look after. Time, money, and projects all have to be managed.
Now that we are essentially finished the process of selecting boat, gear, materials and colors, we simply have to sit back and wait. Oh yes, and make progress payments...that part feels pretty real.
As does the waiting...
Bruce

Bruce: You must understand that the great majority of TF Membership will never know this experience the way you do, but allow me to make a suggestion. Have one or more of us record the noises of the boat in the middle of the night along with a few "uh oh" noises, and have the Admiral let the air out of your side of the Sleep Number mattress to give you that listing feeling, and then hit you with a list of Honey Do's in the morning. A whif or two of a overfilled holding tank will finish it off the effect. It will help you sleep better.

Bruce: You must understand that the great majority of TF Membership will never know this experience the way you do, but allow me to make a suggestion. Have one or more of us record the noises of the boat in the middle of the night along with a few "uh oh" noises, and have the Admiral let the air out of your side of the Sleep Number mattress to give you that listing feeling, and then hit you with a list of Honey Do's in the morning. A whif or two of a overfilled holding tank will finish it off the effect. It will help you sleep better.

That is hysterical! Great idea about the recordings by the way.
What you probably do not know about me is that I was born to be a mechanic! I really am hard wired to fix things and I love projects. I spend as much time sniffing around the boat for things to fix as most people spend looking at the scenery. Yes, I realize that I am a bit odd!
By the time our new boat is home, I will have taken more of it apart to simply see what is there than most people do in a lifetime of ownership.

On the subject of experiencing a brand new boat, what I will do is take video's and pictures of the delivery and use of the boat as it is new. Then you can all live vicariously...

There is not much I can do about sharing the smells though...
Bruce

Bruce B, I know the feeling. I am also a lifelong mechanic. I'm also always looking for something to fix. When our boat was out of the water for bottom paint I was lost, nowhere to go. Somehow house projects just aren't the same.

Back
Top Bottom