Signal Flags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talonewo

Vessel Name
Shintullah
Vessel Make
55' 1978 Defever
Another silly question.... so I bought a full set of Signal Flags, saw the guy at the Annapolis boat show, $100 bucks for a full set out of China...they arrived the other day and I'm not sure how to attach them... :banghead: Each flag has a loop on the top and a line on the bottom, see photo. I assume multiple flags are meant to be daisy chained together together to communicate, so the top flag's loop would attach to a line to haul up the mast, then the second flags top loop would attach to the line on the bottom of the first flag and so on... Is there some kind of knot or special trick I'm missing?

Attachments

• IMG_20161028_202309.jpg
    IMG_20161028_202309.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 109
BTW, do some research, there is a formal sequence to the flags!

Though who the hell will know! :)

Those of us who had to learn them....:D

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 156
All of the signal flags I've seen have a loop as yours do but there is a wooden toggle at the other end. The wooden toggle goes through the loop in the next flag. It would be easy enough to add toggles to yours or just tie them together.

In the navy... years ago the signal flags had a ring on the top and a quick snap on the bottom. The halyards have the same snap. When I left, 40+ years ago, only a few flags were in common use. B (red) fueling and loading ammo, some navy only flags etc.
100 years ago, before radio, there were volumes of signal books in every maritime language using 1 or more flags to create every conceivable message. A few signals are still used in radio and flashing light. ZBM2 - put a qualified operator on the light - guaranteed to upset any veteran signalman or telegraph key operator.

There's a few flags you MAY use..... quarantine, diver below and a few others....

Mostly you can use them to "dress ship". A formal decoration for special events. The 4th comes to mind, fleet weeks, etc. IIRC the proper sequence for doing so is described in Chapman.

Not sure why one can't use all of them at some point to signal.....

Sure you can, just wondering who the heck (other than a MOW) will know what you're saying.

Then I thought about it, did a quick search and yes SIR...... there's an app for that.......:D

The toggles work well. So would a quick bowline. I do not have a signal flag set but have used both the toggles and the bowline on my flags.

Zooming in on your flag shows they are not the type for the mentioned toggles. Just tie together with a bowline.

Get yourself a copy of Pub 102 International Code of Signals. You never know when you might have to look up a code like MRX, which means 'give enema.' Or MMQ, which is 'Patient has previous history of gonorrhea.' It could be important!

Get yourself a copy of Pub 102 International Code of Signals. You never know when you might have to look up a code like MRX, which means 'give enema.' Or MMQ, which is 'Patient has previous history of gonorrhea.' It could be important!
Heck, may as well get H.O.229 also. Need extra doorstops around the house.

Heck, may as well get H.O.229 also. Need extra doorstops around the house.

Ugh, god. I just had a small series of unpleasant flashbacks.

You mean folks here don't hoist the cocktail flag?????????

That's on a totally different hoist and requires NO manual or book to decipher! You mean you take it down? Isn't that a waste of time?

The sun is always over the yardarm 'somewhere' Drinking lamp lit.

Back
Top Bottom