Big outboard for Trinka 10?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Guru
We have had a Trinka for about 12 years now. My wife and I both love it, it rows nicely, it sails like a witch and it will look good up on the upper deck of our American Tug. That is important!
One of my biggest complaints about the Trinka is not with the dinghy itself but rather the outboards we have used with it. Small displacement 4 cycle outboards are just not much fun to live with. They have such tiny carburetor jets that running them on the ethanol fuel available at most marinas is fraught with frustration. They are simply so sensitive to water in the fuel. Just refilling the tank on my last Yamaha 2 1/2 hp 4 cycle on a rainy day invited running issues.

My best solution so far has been to find an 18 year old Yamaha 3 hp 2 cycle engine in like new condition. It runs so very well on whatever fuel I put in it that that should be the end of the story...
The problem is, it is a fuel hog and it has a small internal fuel tank. I yearn for better fuel economy and an external fuel tank.
This brings me to my question. I see that Honda has a new line of portable engines in 4, 5 and 6 hp. I saw them at the Newport boat show. Very nice little engines, all of the same displacement and about 60 pounds. External fuel tank, different propellers, easy starting, enough displacement that they are more likely to run when a small drop of water is injested...

What can I expect of the poor little Trinka if I saddle it with one of these? Will it sink? Will it become wildly unstable? We only putt around pretty slowly in this dinghy, I don't expect it to plane. Am I just out of my mind to consider this? The Yamaha is about 40 pounds, I can't imagine an extra 20 pounds is too much...

Who has experienced too large an engine in a hard dinghy?
Bruce

I owned a sailing Trinka 10. I think it could handle the weight of the Honda.

But have you considered electric. The Torqueda is nice but very expensive. A 50 lb thrust Minnkota trolling motor and a Group 31 battery should push the Trinka nicely. The battery will weigh 70 lbs and can be installed forward and the trolling motor another 27 lbs.

David

I owned a sailing Trinka 10. I think it could handle the weight of the Honda.

But have you considered electric. The Torqueda is nice but very expensive. A 50 lb thrust Minnkota trolling motor and a Group 31 battery should push the Trinka nicely. The battery will weigh 70 lbs and can be installed forward and the trolling motor another 27 lbs.

David

I have considered the Torquedo... somehow it has yet to win me over. I keep waiting for one of the big outboard manufacturers to dip their toes into the electric outboard pond...so far, nothing.
I'm not sure I'd get the range we would like with electric either. Haven't been to their website in a few years now. Guess I'll take a look again.
Bruce

You can also check out the new LEHR propane engines too. The 2.5 HP weighs about 38 lbs. A little camping cannister of propane runs it for about 2.5 hrs at half throttle and one hour at WOT. There's an additional hose you can use to hook up a small 11 lb tank that'll run her for 26 hrs according to their literature. No more ethanol or water problems either. They go for about $1000 or less at a boat show. Ben

I just googled Trinka 10. I have no experience with it but have seen similar and know people with similar vessels. It looks like a beautiful little boat but I suspect a much bigger engine will be a waste beyond what it takes to move the boat about 4-5knots. If I'm wrong so be it.

Stop using gasohol. Almost everywhere I've been 91 or 92 octane, no alcohol fuel, is available. Your engine will run quite well on the premium no alcohol fuel, unless the gasohol has already gummed things up for you. In that case do a carb overhaul. Use a fuel filter to keep out dirt.

I've not had to do it but I could see adapting a 3 gal outboard tank to an integral tank type O/B. Oddly, as example,if you scout around kits are available to adapt Honda 1,000W and 2,000W generators for exactly that. You just need to do your own with a replacement cap and some fittings.

I know the reasons for the alcohol but these engines use so little fuel, sit for so much time and were not designed for it that the premium fuel is worth it. The alcohol causes a lot of small engines like this trouble, not just outboards.
I have a '94 8 hp Yamaha and I will try to keep it as long as possible. It's 60 # instead of the 90# all its replacement weigh. I can still handle the 60 but I doubt the 90. I use the 91 octane stuff , about 8 -10 gal yearly, and it runs just fine.

I can tell you from experience that the newer Torqueedo outboards can be a very satisfying alternative to gasoline outboards. At the urging of my wife (who was tired of waiting for me to get the outboard running) I swapped out the noisy and unreliable Honda 2hp with a Torqueedo 1003. I too was concerned about adequate range from the single lithium battery so I splurged for a second back up battery. The Torqueedo powers my 8' Portland Pudgy and gives us hours of continuous range. Though I bring the back-up battery, just in case, on longer trips, I've yet to need it. Interesting that you have a Trinka...I just bought a new boat and I'm considering the Trinka 10 for our new tender. A friend uses the Torqueedo with his Trinka 10 and is very pleased.

I've had 3 of the OMC "Light Twins".
The first two had heavily salted powerheads and they never were dependable.
Just recently bought another for $225. My others were 3 1/2 hp. This one is 4. I had to spend some time getting the carb jets adjusted correctly but now it runs perfect.

I've only run it on my new 12' rowboat. My only complaint is a a buzzing noise .. sounds like sheet metal vibrating. Hope it's not reeds.

Bruce B,
The later models have a FG hood that is much quieter than the older metal ones.
Something to consider is a 6hp OMC. Smooth and quiet like the smaller ones. We have run our 6hp Johnson a lot on our big freight canoe. And also on the 10' sailboat/rowboat fairly similar to the Trinka. 6hp of course is too much power so we run it at half throttle (about 7 knots). Then it's very quiet and probably is good on fuel too. Chris really likes the 6 on the little yellow boat. She learned to start it and maneuver it up and down the channel. The only OB she likes. The Trinka may not be very controlable over 1/2 throttle w the 6 but running slow it's sweet.
I also have an 8hp Yamaha and it's essentially the same as the 6hp OMC. Running harder w each on the freight canoe I basically can't tell the difference. Seems to be the same power. They are the same weight and both 2 stroke twins.

Pics are;
1 3 1/2hp on the freight canoe.
2 The Trinka-like dinghy
3 8hp Yamaha on the freight canoe.
4 My newest the 4hp Light Twin.
Notice the lower unit. It's unique to these "Light Twins". It's kind-of an extreme weedless design. One would think it would be very inefficient w the prop at such an angle but it seems to push fine. Also an extreme weedless two blade prop. Light Twins were also made under the name "Yacht Twin" w a 90 degree lower unit. Probably more thrust but the "angle drive" may be better for a dinghy unless the dinghy is large and heavy.
In the day these engines were designed to be transported in the trunk of a car to a boat rental place on the water. Mostly 10hp and less were popular for fishing this way. Many boathouses were on Puget Sound and fishermen were plentiful at the boathouses. So were the fish. That lower unit was made to glide over logs and through weedy areas mostly in lakes.
These engines weigh 35lbs and one of the reasons they are light is that there's no fuel on the engine to add to the OB weight.

Attachments

• 016_16 copy 5.jpg
    016_16 copy 5.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 92
  • STH71275 copy 4.jpg
    STH71275 copy 4.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 107
  • all to 12-15-09 008 copy 3.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 008 copy 3.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF2350.jpg
    DSCF2350.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
There is a new electric motor coming on the market to compete with Torqueedo. It will be shown at the Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show next week. I don't know much about it yet and I can't even remember the name. As I understand it they are going to offer longer run times for the same or less money than the Torqueedo.

Another engine to consider is the Lehr propane engine. The 2.5 should push a Trinka nicely.
No gummed up jets.

Look at that! I go to bed and in the morning there is all of this information here to read!
The OMC engines are kind of cool but are probably not what I am looking for. I love seeing older outboards like these but I'd want to restore it and then I'd be reluctant to use the thing... the same thing is beginning to happen to my Yamaha 3 hp. It is a great engine but it is becoming unusual to find anymore.

As far as fuel, here in the northeast I have run into non ethanol fuel only once when cruising. I think we found it in Blue Hill Maine. Certainly not frequently enough to actually rely on using it exclusively. By the way, the issue has never been gummed up jets, I can cope with storing/using the fuel before that happens, it is the water in the fuel that the alcohol seems to attract. All I had to do was open the fuel cap on the tank of my previous Yamaha 2 1/2 4 cycle on a wet day and I was done. Sometime in the next hour that engine would begin to run badly until I drained the float bowl. I found that Startron additive in the fuel helped eliminate about 99% of the issue as it emulsifies water but...talk about annoying! When I found the 3 hp 2 cycle, the entire wet day issue went away. The 2 stroke carburetor has larger jets and it seems to just roll with whatever it is fed for fuel.

I will be curious to see what the next electric outboard is all about. I've been tempted by the Torqueedo. It is expensive though and it is UGLY!
I have been tempted by the propane Lehr engines too but have seen more than a few of them with quality issues. Usually it is an owner complaining about propane tanks leaking...

Is there any information on the new electric outboard anywhere?
Just curious,
Bruce

There is a new electric motor coming on the market to compete with Torqueedo. It will be shown at the Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show next week. I don't know much about it yet and I can't even remember the name. As I understand it they are going to offer longer run times for the same or less money than the Torqueedo.

Another engine to consider is the Lehr propane engine. The 2.5 should push a Trinka nicely.
No gummed up jets.

100 octane Sunoco racing fuel in 5-gallon cans is an option. Expensive but effective.

100 octane Sunoco racing fuel in 5-gallon cans is an option. Expensive but effective.

Update: I looked at Sunoco's racing fuel website. They offer about a dozen different fuels so one must be careful in choosing. Some contain alcohol. The fuel that seems best for outboards is their 95-octane Optima. It is formulated for small engines, contains no alcohol, and has a shelf life of three years.

We have readily available Non Ethanol fuel available around here near the waterfront areas.
A few years ago I was really disgusted with small gasoline engine maintenance every spring (Yard stuff) and finally tried some of this:

Mechanic In a Bottle | B3C Fuel Solutions

It's really quite excellent and makes everything an easy start even after sitting or using old fuel. It may sound like snake oil, but it REALLY works.

On engines, I've had one of those old 2hp 2 stroke Yamaha's and they were great.
Working for Honda though, I thought it best to transition to a small 2hp 4 stoke. It's one of the older watercooled models and has run flawlessly for 20 years now. One impeller replaced. 27 lbs. Never a gas issue. Worked perfectly on my old Bauer 10 Hard dink. I don't think I would have put anything larger or heavier on that boat (similar to the Trinka hull shape)

Last edited:
We have readily available Non Ethanol fuel available around here near the waterfront areas.
A few years ago I was really disgusted with small gasoline engine maintenance every spring (Yard stuff) and finally tried some of this:

Mechanic In a Bottle | B3C Fuel Solutions

It's really quite excellent and makes everything an easy start even after sitting or using old fuel. It may sound like snake oil, but it REALLY works.

On engines, I've had one of those old 2hp 2 stroke Yamaha's and they were great.
Working for Honda though, I thought it best to transition to a small 2hp 4 stoke. It's one of the older watercooled models and has run flawlessly for 20 years now. One impeller replaced. 27 lbs. Never a gas issue. Worked perfectly on my old Bauer 10 Hard dink. I don't think I would have put anything larger or heavier on that boat (similar to the Trinka hull shape)

We own an old Honda 2 hp too, one of the blue and white ones. It is one of my favorite small outboard engines. I just can't bring myself to use it in salt water!
It is something of a "survivor" and I'd kind of like to keep it...
Bruce

Never seen alcohol around here in WA except w a farm conection. We get ours at the farm stores that sell fuel. "Coastal Farm Supply" is one. There's more sources now in just a year or two.

Re the little air cooled Honda I have a water cooled 2hp 2 stroke Yamaha (think it's 27lbs too) and I consider it noisy but it's quieter than the Honda. Both of them are too noisy to suit me.

Re propane OB's I have had propane powered cars and on occasion had to clean the pressure regulator (I think that's what it's called) ... that's dirty and very stinky. But I think if I couldn't keep my Light Twin going i'd just get a new 4 stroke and use alcohol free fuel and appropraite stabilizers. But for a get home OB I'd buy a propane engine.

But at this point the vibration of the 4 stroke singles is tooooo much.

Bruce B,
That's what the air cooled Honda's are all about. No sea water inside the engine. In the water jacket that aren't there. In the early 50's there was an air cooled OB called "Lawson" and I haven't heard they were troublesome .. just noisy. But the air cooled OB's don't have any water jackets to plug up w salt. So all you need to do is hose it off w fresh and perhaps wipe it down. When I get my little engines home I run-flush them in a garbage can.

Last edited:
Air cooled Honda 2 and 2.3 outboards are too noisy for me.
The old one we have is actually a combination of air cooled for the engine and it has a water pump for cooling the exhaust. I like it a bunch!
The new Honda's about to hit the stores are a little too large for the Trinka but I saw on on display at the Newport boat show. Nice little engines! Easy to start, quiet, not that heavy... It just got me thinking thats all. My 3 hp Yamaha is a delight to run if it is a little thirsty. It is not that big a deal!
Bruce

Bruce, I'll know more about the new electric outboards next week.

What I do remember is that they make a 1000 watt motor that comes with a 1000 watt hour battery.

Torqueedo makes a 1000 watt motor that comes with a 530 watt hour battery.
It looks like Torqueedo just came out with a 915 watt hour battery but charge extra for it.

They rate the new 1000 watt motor as a 2.5 hp equivalent and Torqueedo says their 1000 watt motor is equal to a 3 hp gasoline motor.

Wish you were here in Miami. We could try my 2.5 Lehr and my Minn Kota 30 pound Thrust trolling motor on it. That would give you an idea of how it performs with minimal hp.

Bruce, I'll know more about the new electric outboards next week.

What I do remember is that they make a 1000 watt motor that comes with a 1000 watt hour battery.

Torqueedo makes a 1000 watt motor that comes with a 530 watt hour battery.
It looks like Torqueedo just came out with a 915 watt hour battery but charge extra for it.

They rate the new 1000 watt motor as a 2.5 hp equivalent and Torqueedo says their 1000 watt motor is equal to a 3 hp gasoline motor.

Wish you were here in Miami. We could try my 2.5 Lehr and my Minn Kota 30 pound Thrust trolling motor on it. That would give you an idea of how it performs with minimal hp.

Careful what you wish for...
Next year we may just be knocking on the door! Have to get our boat first though!
Thanks,
Bruce

I have a 10' home built dingy that I was using a 25# thrust trolling motor on. It just wasn't cutting it for those days when I need to buck the current when the tide was moving. So, I drug my old 1988 4 hp Johnson out and replaced the charge coil and voila! It is purring like a kitten and will almost get me on plane. Those little 2 cyl 2 strokes are hard to beat and it uses maybe 1/2 gal an hour running pretty hard against the current. 6 hr range with my little 3 gal tank.

Kevin

I have a 10' home built dingy that I was using a 25# thrust trolling motor on. It just wasn't cutting it for those days when I need to buck the current when the tide was moving. So, I drug my old 1988 4 hp Johnson out and replaced the charge coil and voila! It is purring like a kitten and will almost get me on plane. Those little 2 cyl 2 strokes are hard to beat and it uses maybe 1/2 gal an hour running pretty hard against the current. 6 hr range with my little 3 gal tank.

Kevin

Kevin,
I'd love to see a picture of that dinghy...
Sounds nice.
Bruce

Until this year, we had a 9' Fatty Knees with a 20 year old Nissan 2.5 and that was about perfect for balance. You went nowhere fast but the bow wasn't 4 feet in the air either. We sold the Fatty in favor of an inflatable and when the old Nissan died and we couldn't get parts, we bought the 2.3 Honda. It's a little noisy but the weight is perfect for lifting. I'd be worried about that much weight in the stern on our Fatty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom