Seattle Built Delta Boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
Still working on narrowing down the search. Thought I had things down and then a boat comes along that distracts me. Has anyone heard of ran, owned, etc? Great boats? Solid builds? How do they hold up and handle? Etc. I am looking at a few of the 50's on the market in the PNW.

I dunno man, my goofy brother in law worked there for years! LOL! Kidding aside, they built good commercial boats but I have knowledge of their pleasure fleet.

I looked at one of the 50's, a pilothouse model. Also looked at a mid 40's aft cabin model.

Nice boats. I could swear that the pilothouse one had 3208 cats in it, good engine.

They are or were a popular hull with the charter fleet out of Alaska. Probably 5 hulls within a couple hundred feet of my boat, but finished for party boat fishing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Thanks much, this is the kind of information I was looking for. I am continuing to read. Keep it coming!

Delta moved up to larger boats over the years and rebuilds and refurbishing.

Bshillam

Pay Delta a visit if you're really serious. Good current yard and builders of highly regarded boats for a very long time. I saw a gorgeous Delta yacht build trawler of about 10 years old and 55 feet this summer in Pender Harbour. Wow is all I can say.

Zopilote, a 72' Delta was built for Bruce Kepler, and wife, around 1988 as an around the world pleasure boat for which it was used. It was written up in both Motorboating and Sailing and Boating magazines.

I never did see Zopilote itself but over the next few years I saw a few sisterships on the way to and in the Broughtons. Beautiful vessels but they were huge.

If you ever see one take a look. Unfortunately I have no photos and I did not keep the mags.

A real bummer on the one I was looking at from delimitation of some of the ply under the windows (no real big deal), wall paper pealing from the walls due to high moisture, some rot in various places around windows and under the shower door. All added up to a boat not really well taken care of.

Deltas are high-end and these days, big. Lots of the smaller, earlier ones (40-50 ft) are in places like Westport and Ilwaco WA taking daily charter trips when no other boats leave the dock. Their designs based on big work boats (70 - 100+ ft) are yachtized in boats like Chinook and Sea Lion. You can see them on Yachtworld.com. I was tied up at Pt Mcneill BC heading for Alaska this spring with Stampede next to me, a big Delta maybe 110 ft. In length. He left PMN to round Cape Caution in gale - force winds when no other big boats were moving. I saw them later in Ketchikan and wondered how that leg went for them. It might not have been a cake walk, but no other boat is more capable in heavy conditions, IMO.

bshillam, could you be interested in the Willard 40? My boat is for sale (see classifieds). The Northstar is an AK veteran with long range capabilities, heavy build with a slippery Garden designed hull, repowered, Kabola hydronic furnace, and all new interior finish. Check it out @ www.northstar.talkspot.com

54 IPS | Delta Powerboats

In Scandinavia, there is also a boat builder that uses the name Delta, whether or not these boats were on display in the US?

These boats were on display in FLIBS. Yes, two Delta's. The Scandinavian Delta Powerboats are actually built in Estonia. Designed and created in Sweden. Very unique. The 54' is Carbon Fiber. It's got some features that are incredible. On the other hand, the lack of rails and the lack of a transom don't fit what most might want in the US. Definitely more a European design. There is also a US agent, who lives in Miami and last I knew had a 54 he would demo sitting behind his home.

Back
Top Bottom