View Single Post
Old 10-26-2016, 08:15 PM   #1
CraigC

City: Bay Area CA
Vessel Name: Tango
Vessel Model: Nordlund Boat Co - 1978 Custom 53 Pilothouse
Engine surveyor for Cummins VT555-M's in SF Bay Area?

So apparently, these are not engines that surveyors like to (or are open to) evaluate. That's not an engine we survey, we are not familiar enough with that engine, etc. The listing broker said these engines start fast, don't smoke, and run well, but he agreed that the triple nickels drag down the value of the boat and scare buyers away.

Edit: Also, I called the local Cummins guy and he said "I've worked for Cummins for a very long time, and that engine went out of production about 20 years ago and it's no longer supported, so you should probably plan on repowering to a couple 6BT Recons." (About a $110,000 job.) My broker says the ones in the boat now have only about 2000 hours and we could get another few years out of them first, though. The trick is finding a surveyor who can do a thorough job of evaluating them.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an engine surveyor in SF Bay/Delta area who knows triple nickels well and will agree to do my survey? I have 21 days but that includes getting oil tests back, and then evaluating options and responding to seller. Boat is in Marin County.

Thank you!
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote