Deck rot cost estimates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Hi,
Quick question for those that had to have their decks replaced and rot fixed (common issue on a Krogen).
How much did your fix cost and how bad was the rot? Just trying to get ballpark figures.

Thanks
Arthur

I redid my cockpit sole on my sailboat. It cost about $200 for the job.

The side and aft decks on the boat in the avatar cost $250-$300.

Depends on just what has to be done and by whom.

I rebuilt my "88" Albin trawler...if I had to pay for everything...it might have cost over $100,000. The materials alone are approaching $25,000.

Who does what and to what extent is critical in estimating the final costs. Especially with deck repairs as the possibilities of techniques are quite varied.

Hi,
Quick question for those that had to have their decks replaced and rot fixed (common issue on a Krogen).
How much did your fix cost and how bad was the rot? Just trying to get ballpark figures.

Thanks
Arthur

There is no real way anybody here can you an accurate answer, or even give you much in the way of a ballpark figure, without seeing your boat. And perhaps even doing some destructive testing.

You need to get estimates from local repair people who can come and look the job over.

Even if people look the boat over you can expect quite a lot of variation since they won't know the true extent of the job until they tear things apart. So a labor plus materials estimate will likely be considerably less than a quoted price for the job since the labor plus materials number is an estimate not a binding price. Of course a good marine professional will estimate high so that, hopefully, the final cost will come in under estimate resulting in a happy customer.

Even if people look the boat over you can expect quite a lot of variation since they won't know the true extent of the job until they tear things apart. So a labor plus materials estimate will likely be considerably less than a quoted price for the job since the labor plus materials number is an estimate not a binding price. Of course a good marine professional will estimate high so that, hopefully, the final cost will come in under estimate resulting in a happy customer.

The problem with bidding high is you lose the job to the low ball guy who knows once he's got the job he can bring the price up as he goes.

Knowing full well few people will tell him to stop work once he's opened the can of worms. :D

The trick is to estimate "just" high enough :)

Back
Top Bottom