Thread: Solo cruising
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
Tsimitpo

Solo cruising

<table><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align:bottom;">Solo cruising
</td><td>Reply*Quote**Edit Post

</td></tr><tr><td style="width:100%;" colspan="2"></td></tr><tr><td style="width:100%;" colspan="2">

I am 70, solo, fit and settled in a house after a lifetime of ocean yacht racing and power boat cruising. I play golf and have a good life with many friends. I feel I am part of the small community where I live. However, I recently discovered that I had the feeling that my life was"mouldering" away. I started idly looking at boats and the Forums. I then stumbled on the Kadey Krogen website, where I fell in love again. I find I am now seriously considering selling out, buying a boat like a Krogen 42' and going cruising solo. I can't afford to do this without selling out.

Unfortunately, there are no Krogens (or any other similar small displacement boats) here in Australia, I would be looking at buying a boat in the USA and cruising it home. A major undertaking but not insurmountable from where I see it.

Once here, we have superb waterways on the Aussie East Coast and Barrier Reef to cruise and they are not crowded. In fact, finding company in most of them would be unusual. We also have the Pacific islands not too far away to cruise. There is a cruising fraternity on the coast, mainly based on "Going North" to Queensland and the Barrier Reef for the winter, mostly yachties.

My problem is, I sold my last boat 10 years ago because my marriage of 30 years had broken up and I needed the money. I am now on the horns of a dilemna as to whether to take the step and sell out and go or just stay with the comfortable life I have. Are there other solo cruisers out there who have been thru this paradigm shift around my age and who can advise me how they handled the transition and how they find cruising alone now?

<table style="width:100%;" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td class="gensmall">Attachments</td></tr><tr><td class="gensmall" style="padding-left:25px;">*</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"><a></a>
View image
</td></tr></tbody></table>__________________Doug Winn
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Tsimitpo is offline   Reply With Quote