Where to obtain a Perkins shop manual?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksceviour

Vessel Name
Moderation
Vessel Make
Sea Lord 35
I'm trying to track down a shop manual for my Perkins 6.354 diesel engine. Any pointers to a good web site for this?

Thanks for that. My first time on the forum.

I had success finding actual factory manuals on Ebay for our last 40 year old boat ( Cat engines) .

This is a really annoying job! The owners manuals are general and are for most of us. The parts manuals are peculiarly specific to the various engines. You will need to know your 'build number' which is the first 5 digit sequence following the 'model' which is the first two letters. The dear Brits who assembled the parts manuals used exploded drawings of the various systems on the left pages, labeled the parts with numbers and on the right page tell you the actual part number...for your 'build' number. In other words, the picture may well look different than your engine! Sheesh!

Here's an example; the drawing shows two hoses coming from the raw water pump into the oil cooler. My engines have only one. I conclude that I need part # 53, since I'm replacing all the 32 year old hoses.

I have a collection of Perkins manuals; I did not know it was possible to upload 'em. Unfortunately, they're on the boat.

Attachments

• OilCooler.png
    OilCooler.png
    123.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 2016-10-08 Stbd Engine_OilCooler 001.jpg
    2016-10-08 Stbd Engine_OilCooler 001.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Well isn't that wonderful. I've always found that old manuals are often full of errors as well. What manuals do you have exactly? Are they in digital format?

I'm sorry, kscevior, my manual collection is on the boat. I've just had a total shoulder replacement, and I'm wearing a boot for Achilles tendon issues. I won't be down to the boat until spring, by which time I'll be fully functional...

You need to know your engine's model and build number, as well as the rest of the serial number. Spend some time on line looking for the few manuals that can be found. I've downloaded a 1982 and a 1988 workshop manual, a 1978 and a 1994 owners manual, a 1987 brochure and a 2009 serial number guide. There are sites that claim to have manuals for money, usually Pounds, and there are sites that claim to have manuals to download for money or for 'joining' their service. Also watch eBay; I've purchased parts manuals and workshop manuals but for the wrong 'build'.

Of course, decent Perkins parts emporia should have manuals, but you cannot look over their shoulder.

DHeckrotte: Looks like you have a red Perkins, is this an Asia supplied engine?

The North American blue Perkins marine engines are fundamentally the same engine, but like all Perkins engines, have some minor changes incorporated during production runs. But the marinization / accessories were really different between the two.

The N. A. engine oil cooler is a combo engine/transmission cooler. Electrical was a Delco alternator and 35MT starter. Engine secondary fuel filter is on the top at the front of the engine instead of the side. Lube oil filter was on a bracket connected by hoses near the rear of the engine instead of next to the raw water pump. Heat exchanger is also different. Your piping is way-y-y-y different.

When you get up to the Range 4 engines the differences in manifolds and heat exchanger are completely different.

Eidelweise, they look red to me, too. I've got the Manuals for North American Build, both rotations. Not the same engines as in our boat. Our boat was sold as a FuHwa but sports a Nova Marine Company hull number. It's details are very like some Marine Traders. I think she was a custom build.

Eidelweise, they look red to me, too. I've got the Manuals for North American Build, both rotations. Not the same engines as in our boat. Our boat was sold as a FuHwa but sports a Nova Marine Company hull number. It's details are very like some Marine Traders. I think she was a custom build.

I don't know if this was true or urban legend, but I was told by a mechanic at Perkins in Seattle back in '77, that the Marine Blue engines were North American engines marinized by, Charles E Smith Co. (Mine had a metallic sticker on them that stated that.)

He said the "red" Perkins were a European and export license version for the old crown colonies and Asia. The long block and fuel injection was the same, but electrical, cooler and filters were all european on the reds. I guess that makes sense. You wouldn't want a Bosch, CAV or Corfield alternator and starter on a US boat in 1977. Parts would have been hard to find. The impellers for the Sherwood pumps were hard enough back then.

E, correct. What I don't know is whether I have North American accessory stuff.

2 on ebay right now $30-50 and one is yours.

DHeckrotte

Was the boat built overseas?
My only concern would be the availability of any non-Perkins components, like the alternator and starter if they're not already updated.

E, yes, she's a FuHwa, built in Taiwan.

db2, the problem, which I've enjoyed, is that the Parts Manuals are 'build number' specific.

E, yes, she's a FuHwa, built in Taiwan.

db2, the problem, which I've enjoyed, is that the Parts Manuals are 'build number' specific.

The problem with the Perkins part numbers are, they change on a regular basis. So all the components that I change most often, will have a new part number the next time I go to buy them.

I play the game with my Perkins dealer, North Harbor Diesel, nearly every time I buy a push rod or valve cover gasket, etc. I give them the part number and they say "that's not in the computer" and "not good number anymore." Then using my engine serial number, they dive into the reference book for 1976 and start working their way forward from book to book and finally to their inventory computer until they find the current part number. The part hasn't changed or been updated, just the part number. :facepalm:

If I'm lucky the old guy who's been selling Perkins parts there for 30 years is working and he can pick it off the shelf without looking it up in the computer at all. In that case I'm out of there in 10 minutes.

Perkins Engine Manuals - Perkins Marine Workshop Manual - Perkins Parts Manual

Online SHOP MANUALS - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Two possibilities above. E-bay also but just be carefull as many are on the road oriented, not marine.

I will also suggest Caterpillar since they bought Perkins a bunch of years ago. They may not be able to help but find out. Have your specific model and serial numbers.

Also try Boatdiesel.com. There is an owners manual and a workshop manual for the 6-354M engines available. You will have to take a $25 membership to get at them.

Last edited:
when you get a perkins parts book, it will also have a number on the front cover [if i remember correctly] so that when you order a part, they also want the books part number, so you get the correct part for that particular engine!...clyde

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom